Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR screenshot: one night with new mask
OSCAR screenshot: one night with new mask
    I am posting here an OSCAR screenshot of the first night with a new mask (the Respironics Wisp). It was rather forced on me as the mask I am familiar with, the Comfort Gel nasal, broke. 

What strikes me is that the lake rate was massively lower(<1%) - so why didn't I feel any better? If anything I felt more tired than usual although there was the "new mask" factor and I did not sleep as long as usual.

Does the data yield any useful insights? I felt the pressure may not be high enough - is there any way of knowing that from the data?
Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP ay 8 cm. fixed pressure.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR screenshot: one night with new mask
It seems like your pressure isn’t high enough. You have mostly obstructive events. Maybe try using your machines auto mode if available. Otherwise I’d maybe increase your pressure by 1cm or even less.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but you might be able to reduce your centrals by raising the EPAP and lowering your PS. I think this would also help get rid of the hypopneas and apnea’s.

Maybe try posting another chart from that night that shows the flow limitations? What is your AHI on most nights with the old mask? 16 AHI would definitely leave anybody tired though.

It also looks like there were three times you had a big leak and might have woken up.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no pressure that will be high enough. You are tucking your chin which is causing the clusters of obstructive events. The best fix we have seen for this is a soft cervical collar, see my signature for details and then post a new chart once you have used one and take it from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's interesting, Bonjour. I have ordered a soft cervical collar as you suggest.

I will read the info in your sig ASAP but I curious as to how you know I am chin tucking?

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The tell-tale is the clustering of obstructive events in your daily charters
Post Reply Post Reply
Aha, thankyou. 

It leaves me wondering why no sleep doctor has picked this up before. Incredible.

Could an excess fat around the neck be making this worse? 

PS I just woke from an afternoon nap short of air and noticed that my chin had tucked under.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Excess fat around the neck will certainly make things worse, but people with normal levels of fat have apnea and chin tuck issues. All you have to do to test whether chin tucking will be a problem is to sit or stand upright and move your head and look down at your feet. Did that cause you to suffer from difficulty breathing? Yes then that is what we mean by chin tucking.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dave, yes it does. Thanks to Bolnjor for altering me to this. I will aim to report back after trying the neck brace.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Pay attention to sizing attributes of a soft cervical collar. It's not meant to follow the guidelines of neck braces for injury. The goal is a support to reduce chin tuck only. Best to ya on a success. See the wiki regarding the collar if you've not already.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very, very few doctors will recognize cervical alignment as an issue, we call it chin tucking here.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 144 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Irregular flow rate 3 or 4 times a night showing in OSCAR Provolone 4 411 02-21-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Provolone
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 242 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  First night results from Oscar BobFromAccounting 7 396 02-10-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: glenncol
  Screenshot analysis yankees123 10 368 01-31-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  OSCAR - computing stats for subsection of night confinedmind 6 417 01-07-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: paulag1955

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.