Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR screenshot: one night with new mask
RE: OSCAR screenshot: one night with new mask
Before we wrote the Soft Cervical Collar wiki, we started with Positional Apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea This article gives you more details on the mechanism of obstruction. We have many members that have used the soft cervical collar, and as you can see from the OSCAR examples in those wiki articles, they get excellent results once they find a collar that works well and is comfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave.
Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP ay 8 cm. fixed pressure.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Chalkie

Just to add to this, hope I am not butting in, a Neck Collar has helped me tremendously. See one of my other threads where this was pointed out to me.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ausing-OSA

Worth searching this forum for chin tucking for more discussions, as the more senior members indicate, this comes up very often.

My own sleep Doc said mouth taping was OK, but I only have good results with this if I also use a Neck Collar.
Pretty much any one that is comfortable will work. Just so glad to be able to get rid of the (not so useful Chin Straps, yuck)

I have a Medium one for when I use a nasal pillow/cradle and in the last 3 nights I find a larger one better for use with my F30i.

I have it on just tight enough to support my chin, I actually have it loose enough so it doesn't squash my neck, even found it had rotated 180 degrees one night!

Oh, and by the way, I have a long tall thin neck, BMI around 23, so I don't think neck size is the issue. In fact the more flexible your neck is the more likely you are to ' chin tuck'. I am convinced that is what got me into therapy in the first place, but that is a subject for another day.

I think everyone on PAP therapy should at least give this a fair go.

Be interested to hear how you progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome, Chalkie. Keep us posted on progress.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2020, 04:31 AM)SevereApnea Wrote: Hi Chalkie

Just to add to this, hope I am not butting in, a Neck Collar has helped me tremendously. See one of my other threads where this was pointed out to me.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ausing-OSA

Worth searching this forum for chin tucking for more discussions, as the more senior members indicate, this comes up very often.

My own sleep Doc said mouth taping was OK, but I only have good results with this if I also use a Neck Collar.
Pretty much any one that is comfortable will work. Just so glad to be able to get rid of the (not so useful Chin Straps, yuck)

I have a Medium one for when I use a nasal pillow/cradle and in the last 3 nights I find a larger one better for use with my F30i.

I have it on just tight enough to support my chin, I actually have it loose enough so it doesn't squash my neck, even found it had rotated 180 degrees one night!

Oh, and by the way, I have a long tall thin neck, BMI around 23, so I don't think neck size is the issue. In fact the more flexible your neck is the more likely you are to ' chin tuck'. I am convinced that is what got me into therapy in the first place, but that is a subject for another day.

I think everyone on PAP therapy should at least give this a fair go.

Be interested to hear how you progress.

You're not butting in at all - thanks for your input.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
    Bit of an SOS here - am posting a shot of last night's sleep, if that's the right word for it.

My Comfort Gel nasal mask finally broke halfway through the night and I switched to the Wisp. It is my least bad alternative but look at the AHI - grim viewing. Over 50 at the end of the night and ever-climbing. Before I try to get used to the neck brace I really need advice on pressures.

Should I up the pressure even though I know Nobjour said no pressure would be high enough? Really concerned here. Yet the other night on this mask in the graph above I di much better, Wjatls going on? Don't want another night like that.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I see the number 1 issue right now is leak rate. The leak graph shows 36 or there about almost constant the entire session. I would think this can hinder the machine from addressing events accurately. I can't suggest pressure adjustments, I'll defer to others on all this, however there's my thoughts.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The large leaks need to be managed but your larger problem is your cervical alignment, your chin tucking! I did say no pressure could correct that. I should of said that no pressure that will not kill you will help and that is more than your machine can provide.
The soft cervical collar is the best fix we have scene but feel free to try a different pillow arrangement, a rolled towel under your chin. But you do need to do something about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to correct the cervical alignment, however you have plenty of room to increase pressure. You are currently using 17/10 (PS 7.0) and normal titration protocols would suggest a need for higher EPAP pressure. Going up in 1-cm increments, you can try 18/11, 19/12 and 20/13 and see if you start to see a reduction of events. Increasing pressure should help, and we want to observe results as you increase pressure. While the ultimate solution is going to include positional therapy, the use of higher pressure is technically correct and consistent with accepted titration protocols. Please read the following wiki articles:
Positional Apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft Cervical Collar: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again all.

I dug out another mask from my collection (full face) and am happy to report a much better night last night.
To my surprise I tolerated it. Just too zonked out to care I guess. It doesn't feel like the pressure eos too low with this, being so much bigger than the Wiso but I note where to go if need be pressure wise.

I need to adjust to this mask first and them it firmly on my to-do list to tackle cervical alignment with the SCC as suggested by Bonjour.

Thanks again folks and will update as soon as I have something to report.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 143 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Irregular flow rate 3 or 4 times a night showing in OSCAR Provolone 4 411 02-21-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Provolone
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 241 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  First night results from Oscar BobFromAccounting 7 396 02-10-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: glenncol
  Screenshot analysis yankees123 10 367 01-31-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  OSCAR - computing stats for subsection of night confinedmind 6 415 01-07-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: paulag1955

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.