Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR thoughts
OSCAR thoughts
Thoughts about OSCAR

— It’s a huge project, taking many hours of work. Impressive.

— Were/are some project members sleep apnea professionals?

— History / overview would interest me. Didn’t find it.

— Once you’re getting graphs out of OSCAR, are there guidelines to act on them?

— How were those guidelines developed? (See item 2.)
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR thoughts
(12-29-2020, 10:26 PM)midwestguy Wrote: Thoughts about OSCAR

— It’s a huge project, taking many hours of work. Impressive.
A lot of work goes into updating/maintaining OSCAR by volunteers.  The developers do a great job.  There are others like beta testers, translators, editors, wiki editors and such that all help to make things better.

— Were/are some project members sleep apnea professionals?
I can't say definitively, but I would venture to guess that a few may have, at some point, been in the field.  The forum is "educational" so there can be no medical/professional advice given.  Just suggestions/advice from other xPAP users that may have gone thru the same thing.  Like a huge support group. Wink. But many have years of experience dealing with xPAP stuff using it themselves.
Just an FYI.....the "Advisory Member" badge does not mean a member is any type of medical professional.  Just that they have a track record of helping users get answers to questions be it SDB, xPAP, computers, equipment, software, etc.

— History / overview would interest me.  Didn’t find it.
OSCAR was forked from SleepyHead (the original app).  Many of the original SH members are here with OSCAR now.  Might be able to search the forum and find more info.

— Once you’re getting graphs out of OSCAR, are there guidelines to act on them?
Typically a user would post a screenshot of the graph's in the forum and ask questions.  Users will look over the data and give advice on making improvements.  There are also a collection of WiKi pages that explain many different things, and they are being expanded/updated all the time.

— How were those guidelines developed?  (See item 2.)
Many of the guidelines used are from the same ones the medical community uses and/or published papers.  You can find just about anything if you are good at googling!

Hope some of that helps
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR thoughts
Thanks, Jeff. Great that there's so much first-hand experience here.

Harv
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any thoughts about direct Bluetooth data entry? Wolfbite 8 1,387 03-29-2020, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Damiansd

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.