Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR time off by a couple minutes
OSCAR time off by a couple minutes
I thought I was seeing a fluke so I made a point of checking my actual wake times against OSCAR, and OSCAR is apparently timestamping things 3 minutes faster than they're recorded. My therapy ended at 7:53am (by the time I checked the NTP-synced clock). My EDF files on the last segment of my therapy have '070256' at the end, but OSCAR has 7:55:56. When is set my time drift in OSCAR to -3 minutes, all my events more accurately line up in Fitbit as well. Do we know why this might be happening?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR time off by a couple minutes
Your file timestamp is almost 50 minutes off from the other two reporting times.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2022, 09:15 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Your file timestamp is almost 50 minutes off from the other two reporting times.

You're right. I've been looking at so much time data this AM the numbers have started to bleed together. I'll look for some other data.

It could just be the device's clock is off, but I have no way to check. I could probably insert the SD card in, start therapy then stop it right away and see what it is against a real clock.

Edit: OK, I did that. the timestamp on the files at 9:26am UTC-5 was '092920' and date modified 2:29pm (which must be UTC). So the device's clock is fast. Why isn't it setting itself correctly?  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2022, 09:23 AM)Millstone50 Wrote: So the device's clock is fast. Why isn't it setting itself correctly?  Oh-jeez

You will have to ask Resmed.  Also, if you search the forum you'll find several threads that have already discussed this in more detail. 

We don't know how (or if) the clock is maintained/synced.  It doesn't appear to use cell tower time, as it differs from cell phones on same service.  It may be getting synced when connecting to the MyAir server, or perhaps only when the DME sends Rx data to the machine.  Or it may be set at the factory and never updated.  We simply don't know.

Based on comparisons I did with an IPCam and a Usleep oximeter (both of which are synced to NTP), I determined my AS 11 was 39 seconds behind.  Months later, it is still 39 seconds behind -- so either the clock crystal is very accurate, or it is being periodically synced to some non-NTP source.  I corrected for that 39s with OSCAR's "CPAP Clock Drift" setting, and all my data aligns well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2022, 12:31 PM)ScottZZZ Wrote: You will have to ask Resmed.  Also, if you search the forum you'll find several threads that have already discussed this in more detail. 

We don't know how (or if) the clock is maintained/synced.  It doesn't appear to use cell tower time, as it differs from cell phones on same service.  It may be getting synced when connecting to the MyAir server, or perhaps only when the DME sends Rx data to the machine.  Or it may be set at the factory and never updated.  We simply don't know.

Based on comparisons I did with an IPCam and a Usleep oximeter (both of which are synced to NTP), I determined my AS 11 was 39 seconds behind.  Months later, it is still 39 seconds behind -- so either the clock crystal is very accurate, or it is being periodically synced to some non-NTP source.  I corrected for that 39s with OSCAR's "CPAP Clock Drift" setting, and all my data aligns well.

I'll keep my OSCAR offset as well. I found the other threads. I also reached out to my DME and ResMed (both of which will end up being futile).

I just can't wrap my head around it. This device absolutely can and should be synchronized to an authoritative time source.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2022, 12:37 PM)Millstone50 Wrote: I also reached out to my DME and ResMed (both of which will end up being futile).
I strongly, strongly suspect that your expectations are 100% correct.   Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Official response, "The time on Air11 devices cannot be changed. These devices are connected to the time zone."

Whatever that means.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 1 35 Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  How and where to adjust local time. douglaskeene 2 91 03-23-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Time listed: Wrong end time? How to fix? Plmnb 5 204 03-08-2024, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Total Time In Apnea is missing ElUno 3 327 02-26-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  OSCAR- How to set time change to (Daylight Savings time) Reesche 5 756 01-03-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Reesche
  Time adjust BlueSky1958 0 418 12-10-2023, 08:05 AM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  Oscar Time Display Discrepancy BeardedPAP 2 665 11-25-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: CWest

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.