Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR update for Mac from sleepfiles.com, not apneaboard.
OSCAR update for Mac from sleepfiles.com, not apneaboard.
I finally decided to update to the 1.4 release version today.  When I went through the Mac process to grant permission to an unsigned app, it told me the file was from http://www.sleepfiles.com and not http://www.apneaboard.com.

Now it's possible this is nothing and the Mac installation instructions just haven't been updated.  But I have enough of a software security background to realize that pointing to a different server is one way to spread malware.  Since there's no fingerprint for the file, I can't double check it.  (Do developers still publish hex fingerprints for executables?  I'm retired and haven't been paying much attention.)

If this is fine, no problem, though you may want to update the install instructions.  Otherwise, I'll just wait (or reinstall the beta).

Thanks.

System info:
2012 Mac Mini running 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR update for Mac from sleepfiles.com, not apneaboard.
Both SleepFiles.com and ApneaBoard.com are both owned and operated by Apnea Board.

The OSCAR download page is on SleepFiles.com, but the OSCAR installation files are stored on ApneaBoard.com, so if your system or virus protection is preventing you from downloading, you may have to configure your browser so that both "ApneaBoard.com" and "SleepFiles.com" are trusted domains.

There is no malware on either site.  We do full virus/malware scans every night and have numerous active measures to prevent viruses, malware or other malicious activity.  We pay a premium for this added level of security and protection.  Plus, our server is locked-down tight to prevent unauthorized access.

Please review the installation instructions for OSCAR on a Mac, here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Apple_Mac

There's a troubleshooting section for dealing with false positive error messages.

The OSCAR install files are on ApneaBoard.com because SleepFiles.com is a newer domain, and ApneaBoard.com is a more "trusted" domain due to it's high usage and long online history (since 2004).  Some users got overly-cautious browser warnings that state SleepFiles.com is an untrusted or unknown domain.

Hope this helps.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the checksums for OSCAR 1.4.0.dmg
MD5 Checksum: 9EE71718E84455CFCF59785153D14450
SHA-1 Checksum: 8E56D9A32224539C8EE57BB5CF42D570BD37E869
SHA-256 Checksum: EDEE3693BCF0804F1DDB912031DC7A2940C48ABC01909A6D5A1BEEF94F329EA1
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to both of you for getting back to me.

I never feared your build machine or kits being hacked. It was the idea of the web site itself being hacked to point at the wrong kit that I worried about. 

Would it make sense to update the Readme for the Mac to indicate that the .dmg file might be downloaded from sleepfiles.com instead of apneaboard.com?

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2022, 06:02 PM)K2write Wrote: Would it make sense to update the Readme for the Mac to indicate that the .dmg file might be downloaded from sleepfiles.com instead of apneaboard.com?

No because the OSCAR public release install files are always hosted on ApneaBoard.com with every release, not SleepFiles.com.  If something is telling you that the regular OSCAR installation files are hosted on SleepFiles.com, then something is wrong with whatever browser or tool is telling you that.  The download links (displayed on SleepFiles.com/OSCAR) are actually links to the installation files on ApneaBoard.com.

The only thing on SleepFiles.com is the public OSCAR download page, plus some other files that the developers use for testing and dev work.  But ALL the release binaries are always hosted on ApneaBoard.com.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this.

Here's the screenshot of the popup showing sleepfiles.com:

Edit: Oops, the cut and paste didn't work. Let me try an attachment.

Here's the screen shot attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You can't do a cut and paste.   You have to save the image as a suitable graphics file and, after attaching it to your post, you then use the Insert option to display it.  Please see the link in my signature, Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board

Also, did you follow the OSCAR installation instructions for a Mac? Here is the link: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Apple_Mac
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I deleted the bad paste and followed up with an attachment. Yes, I followed the installation instructions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2022, 06:09 PM)K2write Wrote: ... Yes, I followed the installation instructions.

Are you having trouble installing OSCAR on your Mac?  If so, let us know what the issue is and we can help you resolve it.

apneaboard.com and sleepfiles.com are the same server.  It is safe to allow both as trusted sites.

If you still have reservations you can always verify the checksum as CrimsonNape mentioned previously.

The warning you get from your Mac is just Apples way of trying to get developers to pay to be an identified developer (aka: the Apple Tax).  MS does something similar.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2022, 06:09 PM)K2writeYes, I followed the installation instructions. Wrote: Yes, I followed the installation instructions.

No, you didn't follow the Instructions.

The instructions show the same dialog message you have, and tell you to click Open.

Click Open...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will an OSCAR update ever be released? guzzle 3 173 03-07-2024, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar doesn't update settings kappak 1 278 01-19-2024, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Oscar Update? Fixit50 7 547 01-12-2024, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Fixit50
  How do I update my weight in Oscar alexwatt 2 432 10-20-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: alexwatt
Information Resvent iMatrix Software & Firmware Update for iBreeze machines SuperSleeper 1 1,311 10-13-2023, 08:16 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Information Lookee oximeter import/sync issues, wiki update suggestions Uphold9887 9 761 05-02-2023, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Oscar freezes on start following Win 11 update Grandpapa-G 6 707 04-21-2023, 07:15 AM
Last Post: zzzdmeted

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.