Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR update for Mac from sleepfiles.com, not apneaboard.
RE: OSCAR update for Mac from sleepfiles.com, not apneaboard.
Something is goofy...

Here is K2write's screenshot:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=43566]

Here is what that popup window should look like:

[Image: Oscar-mac-7-open-confirm-with-cursor.png]
Note the differences - in K2write's example, it's being downloaded from sleepfiles.com.  The correct download location is apneaboard.com, not sleepfiles.com.   Also, in the K2write's example, the file is called "OSCAR.app", whereas the example from the Wiki is simply called "OSCAR" --  not sure if this is significant or not...

I'm wondering if K2write has the wrong download page or what's going on?  We don't host the actual OSCAR install files on SleepFiles.com -- they're on ApneaBoard.com.

Thoughts?   Eat-popcorn
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Off the top of my head it would likely be the DMG download (OSCAR) and then the actual app itself (OSCAR.app).  Both would need to be given security exceptions for GateKeeper.

Will run some tests....
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2022, 12:19 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Note the differences - in K2write's example, it's being downloaded from sleepfiles.com. 

I'm wondering if K2write has the wrong download page or what's going on?  We don't host the actual OSCAR install files on SleepFiles.com -- they're on ApneaBoard.com.

Thanks for pointing out the differences. 

I’ll see if I can get the download page I used from my browser history.
Post Reply Post Reply
Alright, this is what i found:

Going to the sleepfiles. com page and click the link for OSCAR-1.4.0.dmg and the download starts.  After opening the DMG, installing,  and trying to run OSCAR the following warning about sleepfiles.com opens:

Now if you are on sleepfiles.com and right click the link and choose "copy link address" then paste it into your browser address bar, OSCAR will start to download.  After opening the DMG and installing OSCAR and trying to run the app the warning window opens but lists apneaboard.com instead:

So it seems to depend which link you downloaded from.  Or possibly if you are using some type of download manager???
Rather strange, but either way both sites are safe.

I had to test this on my wifes MBA running BigSur with Chrome browser.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm.... thanks Jeff.  That's just... odd.

The file is from apneaboard.com, not sleepfiles.com, so I wonder why the Mac browser marks it as being from sleepfiles.com?  Sleepfiles.com is simply where the download link is located.  I would think that a browser could differentiate between the domain a link is located on, vs. the domain the actual file is being downloaded from.   Thinking-about

Oh well, no big deal either way - as you said, both domains are safe and can be listed as a "trusted website" in one's browser.

Smile
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
I downloaded the file from https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/.

I got that link from http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid447816

So the obvious question, at least for me, is whether that first link in the forum post is the right one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2022, 05:20 PM)K2write Wrote: ... whether that first link in the forum post is the right one.

Yes!

Either https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
or
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.4.0.dmg

Either are just fine and both are trusted sites.  The official download link is https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/ but it seems that some browsers (or OS's) will list apneaboard.com or sleepfiles.com as the download location in that warning window.  It may seem a bit confusing but both are legit.  You are getting the official release of OSCAR from either location. The file(s) are actually downloaded from apneaboard.com but it seems there may be a minor oddity with MacOS as to which location it lists.
Jeff8356

How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
K2write,  did you get OSCAR 1.4 installed or not?

Please follow the installation directions closely, as explained by Dog Slobber here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid451098

For the full installation instructions, see here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Apple_Mac

When you get that dialog box (which states it's from an "unidentified developer"), you must click on "Open" to install the software.  It is completely safe to do so.

Please reply and let us know if doing so allows you to install the software-- it should install with no issues.  If it doesn't, please post what specific error message you see.

Let us know, please.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
It installed fine.  The only issue was the discrepancies between the file location in the pop up, as you pointed out earlier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, thanks for letting us know.   Thanks
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will an OSCAR update ever be released? guzzle 3 173 03-07-2024, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar doesn't update settings kappak 1 276 01-19-2024, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Oscar Update? Fixit50 7 544 01-12-2024, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Fixit50
  How do I update my weight in Oscar alexwatt 2 432 10-20-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: alexwatt
Information Resvent iMatrix Software & Firmware Update for iBreeze machines SuperSleeper 1 1,308 10-13-2023, 08:16 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Information Lookee oximeter import/sync issues, wiki update suggestions Uphold9887 9 761 05-02-2023, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Oscar freezes on start following Win 11 update Grandpapa-G 6 705 04-21-2023, 07:15 AM
Last Post: zzzdmeted

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.