Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR v1.0.1 - crash on loading profile [resolved (sort of) - see post #12]
OSCAR v1.0.1 - crash on loading profile [resolved (sort of) - see post #12]
Environment:
HP ProBook 450G2
Intel Core i5-5200U
8GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro v1803 (OS build 17134.706)
SleepyHead 1.0.0 previously installed
OSCAR beta 9 and 1.0.0 versions previously installed

Originally had an issue with beta 9 related to what was suspected to be an OpenGL/Qt issue that resolved by loading latest Intel graphics drivers and updating BIOS from HP.  

The previous issue manifested the same as the current issue where Upon startup of OSCAR, all appears well initially.  Upon closing "about/credits" window, OSCAR displays "loading profile" pop-up then once completed, promptly closes with no error or other warning.

OSCAR v1.0.0 installed on top of beta 9 with no issue and was working correctly this morning prior to upgrading to v1.0.1.  Since upgrading to v1.0.1, however, OSCAR shuts down immediately after the "loading profile" progress bar completes, with no error displayed.

Troubleshooting steps attempted:
  • Rebooted PC and restarted OSCAR with no change in condition
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled v1.0.1 via Windows uninstaller with no change in condition
  • Suspected possible issue remained with preloading profiles, but confirmed that profile.xml argument for that feature remains as "false"
  • Poked around a few other configuration files and found preferences.xml contained an argument for EnableMultithreading that was set to "true" - given the release note information about v1.0.1 correcting an issue with multi-threading, I changed this to "false" with no change in condition

At this point, I'm stuck... looking for recommendations on next steps to troubleshoot
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR v1.0.1 - crash on loading profile
Try looking in your Profile.xml for the line, <PreloadSummaries type="bool">false</PreloadSummaries>.
Make sure it is set to false.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2019, 10:34 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Try looking in your Profile.xml for the line, <PreloadSummaries type="bool">false</PreloadSummaries>.
Make sure it is set to false.

Thanks... already looked at that.  Here's the line:
 <PreloadSummaries type="bool">false</PreloadSummaries>
Post Reply Post Reply
Bump... Any thoughts on next steps to get OSCAR working?
Post Reply Post Reply
In the Preferences.xml look for the line with EnableMultithreading and set it to false - do this before you run OSCAR again
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2019, 06:57 PM)pholynyk Wrote: In the Preferences.xml look for the line with EnableMultithreading and set it to false - do this before you run OSCAR again

Thanks, pholynyk.  Unfortunately, as noted in my original post, this was something that I had already found and corrected when initially troubleshooting.  To confirm it was still correct, though, I just reopened Preferences.xml - here is the line in question:

<EnableMultithreading type="bool">false</EnableMultithreading>

Any other thoughts?  1.0.0 was running for me, as was beta-9 prior to that after updating the Intel graphics drivers.  Is there a way to completely remove 1.0.1 and roll back to 1.0.0?  Windows uninstaller doesn't appear to be removing all of the directories and possibly something else?
Post Reply Post Reply
Im having the same issue and followed all steps here with same result of crashing after trying to open profile. Sleepyhead 1.0.0 beta 8 runs fine for me using the brokenGL.exe
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2019, 07:42 PM)Hamguy515 Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 06:57 PM)pholynyk Wrote: In the Preferences.xml look for the line with EnableMultithreading and set it to false - do this before you run OSCAR again

Thanks, pholynyk.  Unfortunately, as noted in my original post, this was something that I had already found and corrected when initially troubleshooting.  To confirm it was still correct, though, I just reopened Preferences.xml - here is the line in question:

<EnableMultithreading type="bool">false</EnableMultithreading>

Any other thoughts?  1.0.0 was running for me, as was beta-9 prior to that after updating the Intel graphics drivers.  Is there a way to completely remove 1.0.1 and roll back to 1.0.0?  Windows uninstaller doesn't appear to be removing all of the directories and possibly something else?

I think it unlikely that rolling back to 1.0.0 would solve the problem.

Try this: In your OSCAR_data folder, navigate to the Profiles directory, and then to the directory for the profile you want to open.  Open profile.xml in Notepad or other plain text editor and make sure that preloading of summaries is set to false:

Code:
 <PreloadSummaries type="bool">false</PreloadSummaries>
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2019, 08:53 PM)joebutterjr Wrote: Im having the same issue and followed all steps here with same result of crashing after trying to open profile. Sleepyhead 1.0.0 beta 8 runs fine for me using the brokenGL.exe

Did you have a similar problem with SH 1.0.0 before you changed to using the brokenGL version?

First, try making sure that preload summaries is disabled, as in my post just before this one.

If that doesn't solve the problem, I can send you a test version of OSCAR with the same brokenGL option that SH provided as an alternative.  But I would first like to make sure it isn't a settings issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, bit of an update here based upon some troubleshooting yesterday.  I have narrowed down the issue somewhat.
  • Profile.xml was confirmed to have preload summaries set as false, and preferences.xml confirmed to have multithreading turned off.
  • While running OSCAR beta-9, I experienced an issue with out-of-date Intel graphics drivers, so I wondered if something similar might be going on here since the fault condition seemed the same, but I confirmed that I still have the latest drivers from HP already installed.
  • Thinking through the issue further, it then occurred to me that my normal Win10 PC hardware arrangement drives dual HP DVI monitors off of a USB 3.0 laptop dock, but that the last time I ran OSCAR 1.0.0 successfully, I was actually sitting at my kitchen table.
  • Opening the lid and unplugging my laptop from the dock, I was able to run OSCAR 1.0.1 with no issue.  Reconnecting the dock, though, caused the same crash on opening.
  • I hit the manufacturer's website and loaded the latest driver, thinking I probably had an easy solution now, but even with the latest driver package installed (DisplayLink USB 3.0 dock driver released 3/1/2019) I still have the same issue with a crash on opening the program with the PC connected to the dock... but no issue when the laptop is running in standalone mode.  I have confirmed the driver package installed correctly and everything looks good within Windows with the dock and all devices it includes.

So... the issue appears to be some conflict between OSCAR and the USB 3.0 laptop dock... possibly related to an OpenGL/Qt compatibility problem?

Let me know if I can troubleshoot further.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Won't load profile - Sonoma 14.4.4 MacBook Pro breathingwell 2 88 04-22-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: kderevan
  Data went to wrong profile Poolboy 4 79 04-20-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Can I delete a profile in Oscar? JUllian 8 2,360 04-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: amarnina
  New version doesn't find profile BlueSky1958 7 281 03-26-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  1.5.2 opens without my profile JollyJoker 2 202 03-18-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: JollyJoker
  OSCAR crash importing Well O2 Max data RobertFz 7 497 02-01-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  Oscar profile vanished, SD card wiped clean. How? , who and why Innisfree 23 1,896 01-13-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.