Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR vs. Norton [resolved, problem was Norton, see post #16]
OSCAR vs. Norton [resolved, problem was Norton, see post #16]
OSCAR-1.3.0-Win32.exe    Windows 10   
A few days ago I was finally able to read my SD card on my laptop. Everything loaded perfectly and i reviewed my results which were not as good as i hoped. However as i displayed my data, I got a warning that Norton had blocked a file. After i logged out and returned to log in to OSCAR again i got a message like  "Data protection blocked a suspicious action by OSCAR. Profile actions "Add Edit Delete" were grayed out. I called Norton who told me that OSCAR had a high level virus. I asked the virus name. They were not willing to name the virus. Their advice was to notify the source of the OSCAR download. 

I don't believe I am able to post the screenshot  .png attachment to this message 

Thanks,
Larry
RE: OSCAR damaged by Norton attn Guy Scharf
If there is one software app I despise, it is Norton's Antivirus software. Comcast was providing it for free to their customers, and I tried it. The longer you use this piece of software, it will start to flag more apps as malware, to the point it will render your PC useless.

I would look for an "Exception" list or option and place OSCAR in it. Ultimately, I would highly recommend that you use another antivirus app. There are many fine ones available.

Your post count should allow you to post an image now.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Running both Mac and Widows computers, I steer far away from Norton. I have had it tell me the Mac OS was a virus and quarantined the entire system. Only way out was to do a restore minus Norton. The only reason I used Norton was we were trying to duplicate an issue with a program we were working on (worked for a major software company at the time). I have always found Norton to be a resource hog that you can't get rid of. I will laugh the day it sees itself as a virus/suspicious file.

I run BitDefender on my home systems and have had real good luck with it.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
I remember years ago having Norton degrade the performance of what, at the time, were fast PCs, and just deleting Norton. It has never been easy to get rid of it completely. I have no current experience with Norton, but once bitten twice shy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(12-02-2021, 04:36 AM)mid range Wrote: I don't believe I am able to post the screenshot  .png attachment to this message 

Yes, you can. See the Help Wiki for directions.,

Does Norton have a log of protection events (or words to that effect)? If so, post the relevant portion of the log which should say what file was being modified and what malware was being detected.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Did you download from the official download site: http://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR? All files there should be clean. If you downloaded from somewhere else, where did you download it from. What is the name of the file that you downloaded?

I am puzzled by Norton displaying an error after you started viewing your data. Do you recall what you were doing when you received the warning?

I find it surprising that Norton would not name the virus. Did you call a support number from your Norton documentation, or a number that was on the pop-up warning? Are your certain it was a legitimate warning and not a scam warning of some sort?

You can scan your computer with a different anti-virus program to see if it finds anything. Virus warnings are sometimes false alarms.

Where did you put your OSCAR_Data directory?

If you run OSCAR again and get the same warning, please post a screenshot.

Is there a reason you are running the Win32 version of OSCAR rather than the Win64 version? 
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
My guess would be that Norton is flagging it because it is unsigned and not sandboxed. Although Norton is notorious for false positives. If you downloaded OSCAR from this sight then it is safe. As others have said, check for exceptions and add OSCAR to the list.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

(12-02-2021, 11:32 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: I am puzzled by Norton displaying an error after you started viewing your data. Do you recall what you were doing when you received the warning?

That doesn't surprise me entirely: Norton might have decided that accessing the OSCAR_Data folder looked suspicious and blocked, while (oddly) not terminating OSCAR itself.
(12-02-2021, 11:32 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: Did you download from the official download site: http://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR? All files there should be clean. If you downloaded from somewhere else, where did you download it from. What is the name of the file that you downloaded?

I am puzzled by Norton displaying an error after you started viewing your data. Do you recall what you were doing when you received the warning?

I find it surprising that Norton would not name the virus. Did you call a support number from your Norton documentation, or a number that was on the pop-up warning? Are your certain it was a legitimate warning and not a scam warning of some sort?

You can scan your computer with a different anti-virus program to see if it finds anything. Virus warnings are sometimes false alarms.

Where did you put your OSCAR_Data directory?

If you run OSCAR again and get the same warning, please post a screenshot.

Is there a reason you are running the Win32 version of OSCAR rather than the Win64 version? 

mid range - please answer all of GuyScharf's questions, above.  This is the only way we can pinpoint the problem you're having.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Guy,
I did download OSCAR from http://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR directly from the OSCAR page on the Apnea Board.

The file I downloaded is OSCAR-1.3.0-Win32.exe. I used the 32 bit version for 2 reasons. One was the narative on the download page and the other reason is because i had downloaded the 64 bit version months ago and had a lot of difficulty getting my laptop to read my memory card. I don't blame the 64 bit version for that problem. I had to run fix apps from microsoft until I had a complete list of USB controllers and drivers under my system devices. Please pardon errors in terminology.

Seeing the data and receiving the warning both happened within a second or two. I am not absolutely certain which was first.

I found the Norton support number on the web. They knew I purchased Norton from Amazon. It was not a scam pop-up.

I placed the OSCAR_Data folder at C:/Users/Larry/OneDrive/Documents. I tried keeping it out of OneDrive on my previous failed attempt at reading the SD card. That time I ended up placing it there anyway, as I recall.

I read the 3 Norton logs i was able to locate. I saw nothing that looked like an OSCAR file name or the name of a virus.

No doubt in my mind the best solution is to dump Norton immediately. Following that I will attempt to recreate my profile and see if my data will reappear. If not, I will reinstall. I have my second appointment with a pulmonologist in 10 days. He told me not to make any changes to my pressures until after I see him. He may give me a diagnosis that will allow me to receive payment for equipment.

Thanks to all of you who gave me guidance!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There's 1.5 years of data in my OSCAR, but now there's a problem Snackers 8 216 03-19-2024, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  problem downloading OSCAR SOFTWARE Bailey104 1 88 03-15-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Problem Downloading Oscar 1.5.1 itchy365 5 560 10-17-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot select profile in OSCAR [solved, see post #9] GB San Jose 9 1,490 10-09-2023, 08:24 AM
Last Post: GB San Jose
Question Oscar installation problem [solved, see post #4] Bertrand 3 731 09-19-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Bertrand
  Oscar V 1.5 [screen resolution issues - solved, see post #4] Dannobre 15 1,597 09-10-2023, 06:15 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  OSCAR - will not open [solved - see post #2] gjstein 4 1,465 08-31-2023, 03:02 AM
Last Post: John7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.