Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCR - Open Source CPAP Reviewer
RE: OSCR - Open Source CPAP Reviewer
Well, now would be the time for folks to step up and suggest a name for the software.

It would be great if a name and corresponding logo of some type could be used together. (a logo that isn't already being used by another organization that holds rights to the image).

Anyone?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

The group went through a lot of potential names and OSCAR is the best we came up with.  If the name is to change, and you bring up some great points.  It needs to happen soon.  as mentioned suggestions are welcome.
(02-15-2019, 05:33 PM)bonjour Wrote: The group went through a lot of potential names and OSCAR is the best we came up with.  If the name is to change, and you bring up some great points.  It needs to happen soon.  as mentioned suggestions are welcome.

Even something as simple as "ApneaTracker" would fit the bill IMO. 

Bill

ETA: What about something like "ApneaGrapher?"

"ApneaGrapher" sounds "serious" to my ears and paints a mental picture of how it functions.
(02-15-2019, 05:59 PM)Spy Car Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 05:33 PM)bonjour Wrote: The group went through a lot of potential names and OSCAR is the best we came up with.  If the name is to change, and you bring up some great points.  It needs to happen soon.  as mentioned suggestions are welcome.

Bill

Yes.

In a perfect world the rift between The sleepyhead devs would be mended and even in this instance rebranding future releases to eventually move away from the old name (which is the antithesis of the outcome of great treatment) would be awesome.  e.g Sleepyhead ApneaTracker

Other thoughts regarding names:

Apnea Wizard
Apnea Advisor
Apnea Minder
Cpap Tender
Cpap Wizard
Sleep Tracker
Apnea Report
(02-15-2019, 06:31 PM)sansnap Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 05:59 PM)Spy Car Wrote:

Bill

Yes.

In a perfect world the rift between The sleepyhead devs would be mended and even in this instance rebranding future releases to eventually move away from the old name (which is the antithesis of the outcome of great treatment) would be awesome.  e.g Sleepyhead ApneaTracker

Apnea Wizard
Apnea Advisor
Apnea Minder
Cpap Tender
Cpap Wizard
Sleep Tracker
Apnea Report

What do you think of "ApneaGrapher"?

I'm liking it.

Bill
(02-15-2019, 06:35 PM)Spy Car Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 06:31 PM)sansnap Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 05:59 PM)Spy Car Wrote: Even something as simple as "ApneaTracker" would fit the bill IMO. 

Bill

Yes.

Apnea Wizard
Apnea Advisor
Apnea Minder
Cpap Tender
Cpap Wizard
Sleep Tracker
Apnea Report

What do you think of "ApneaGrapher"?

I'm liking it.

Bill
I like it a lot (I think we cross posted).  I also think that it's early to be concerned about a logo. They are easy to come by and there are plenty of websites where you can ask for help  - both free and for a tiny fee.   In my regular job I have used several of these and graphics wonks from around the globe show up to offer assistance.  Don't let the logo concept drive the name. The name should come first and imo, be reflective of the actual product. Acronyms are cool but rarely succeed unless there is a well known name behind them. IBM - International Business machines,  KFC - Kentucky Fried... well you get the idea.

On edit: another: CPapScout, SleepScout, ApneaScout
Not bad, but most of those are rather generic-sounding multiple-word names.  I would think a bit more "catchy" or "unique" single-word, shorter name is needed, rather than something that is descriptive, but without "flare" or "style".

OSCAR is pretty good, since it is a catchy one-word acronym that stands for something that is descriptive of what the software does.

Any potential name-changes would have to be at least as good as OSCAR, I would think.

As bonjour indicated, speak up now if you creative types can think of anything better than OSCAR.

Eat-popcorn
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

(02-15-2019, 06:53 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Not bad, but most of those are rather generic-sounding multiple-word names.  I would think a bit more "catchy" or "unique" single-word, shorter name is needed, rather than something that is descriptive, but without "flare" or "style".

OSCAR is pretty good, since it is a catchy one-word acronym that stands for something that is  descriptive of what the software does.

Any potential name-changes would have to be at least as good as OSCAR, I would think.

As bonjour indicated, speak up now if you creative types can think of anything better than OSCAR.

Eat-popcorn

I'd argue for "ApneaGrapher" as one word (or at least a compound word). I think it is catchy. We'd soon call it "AG" for short.

It passes my "how will I feel about the name when I discuss it with my sleep tech or sleep doc" test.

"Sleepyhead" didn't score that well on this name test, to be honest. I always had to explain away the name.

I'm afraid "Oscar" would not pass either. And while being "open code" is a draw for the coders who are drawn to it as a group as something that's very cool, it isn't a similar positive with skeptical medical professionals who we hope will take our data seriously.

Ask yourself if you'd prefer to show your sleep doctor data from "Oscar" or from "ApneaGrapher"?

The same with any other suggestion that comes up.

To me, "Oscar" doesn't say anything about tracking or graphing sleep apnea data. Associations are with the Academy Awards and the grouchy muppet. 

And people who hear CPAP "reviewer" will expect to read reviews of CPAP machines, I'd expect.

I'm speaking up now.  Big Grin

Bill
My nomination:

Respirographer

It's too literal, not clever enough, but oh well ... the best I can think of on short notice.

The thing is, the program doesn't graph only apneas. It graphs normal breathing also. So any name of the form "Apnea <whatever>" is partly misleading, even though it's one of those situations where the response to that objection can reasonably be "Yes, but you know what I mean."

P.S.: Respirography is the activity, but a web search for "respirographer" gets no hits, which is good in this case.
How about breathalizer !

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,083 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  String of open airway events vinegarben 34 3,903 02-16-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 343 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  In Need of Help Analyzing Source of Leaks in Oscar rosebladepat 1 384 10-01-2023, 01:48 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Can you open your mouth with CPAP and have no mouth leak? THEVGE 4 714 09-11-2023, 06:06 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  Source for anataomy illustration of how we breathe nose only for CPAP? Stom 0 302 09-08-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Stom
  Does one learn not to open mouth with a Nasal mask? BobH56 7 1,259 09-22-2022, 02:38 PM
Last Post: BobH56

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.