Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCR - Open Source CPAP Reviewer
RE: OSCR - Open Source CPAP Reviewer
(02-15-2019, 07:57 PM)car54 Wrote: How about breathalizer !

That's is what they use for DUI.
(02-15-2019, 07:36 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: My nomination:

Respirographer

It's too literal, not clever enough, but oh well ... the best I can think of on short notice.

The thing is, the program doesn't graph only apneas.  It graphs normal breathing also.  So any name of the form "Apnea <whatever>" is partly misleading, even though it's one of those situations where the response to that objection can reasonably be "Yes, but you know what I mean."

P.S.:  Respirography is the activity, but a web search for "respirographer" gets no hits, which is good in this case.

I think there is a good reason we are on the Apnea Board Forum and not Respiration Board forum.

Just saying.

If one gave 100 members of the public 100 guesses each about what an app does based on its name, I don't think you'd get any correct guesses with "Oscar." None.

Maybe you'd get a few correct guesses with "Respirographer" (but there would be more with confusion than clarity). 

While "ApneaGrapher" is a really clear name with regard to its function. Also gets no hits, for now.

Bill

Bill
Spy Car Wrote:While "ApneaGrapher" is a really clear name with regard to its function. Also gets no hits, for now.

ApneaGraph and ApneaGraphy are taken, so I doubt very much you'd be able to register a trademark for ApneaGrapher. Search for Spiro Medical.
How about CpapDr? Can be an acronym or abbreviation for CPAP Data Reporter or CPAP Data Reviewer 
The only other good possibility that I was able to think of while sleeping (there were also some silly ones, not realistic) is related to my first suggestion: "Respirography Tool", which would of course be abbreviated "RT".  :evil-grin:

If you search for "respirography", you will find (if you didn't already know) that it is, in fact, the activity in question. It's what the mapping of a patient's breathing is called. (Pulmonography is the mapping of the physical lung structure.) So the entity (whether human or computer program) that does that breath-mapping is a respirographer. That's why I said that my first suggestion is slightly too literal. There's no postmodernist irony built in. But if you can do without pomo irony, I think it's a good name.

As for the obvious objection that some people won't, at first, have a clue what the name means, I don't think that's a valid objection, because what's wrong with a little edumacation along the way? They can learn, can't they?

P.S: Oh yeah, just occurred to me: The logo for the name, either "Respirographer" or "RT", could be drawn using a Spirograph, which is appropriately cyclic (periodic).
Though I think that the term "Respirography tool" clearly describes what one would think that the program is doing, it is not an attractive name for the program. It does not invite people to use or download it. The name SleepyHead did not describe what it does, but was very successful indeed.

Worse even: the term does really not describe what the program does! The program visualizes the data a CPAP machine accumulated during the use of it. That is not only the flow rate through the machine, showing each breath (that would be respirography indeed), but also incidents, leakage, pressure and some other phenomena that are recorded by the machine. And these are what a manufacturer has learned the firmware to do, each in its own way.

The proposed name OSCAR indeed does not mean much as such, but the acronym clearly states what the program is and does: Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporting, i.e. an open source program that reports CPAP data for analysis. The name OSCAR however will easily be recognized when used often, like here on ApneaBoard... Bigwink 

No offense, I'm not American, not even a native English speaker. I just would like to contribute my two cents oldman
Arie KLERK: Member of the Dutch Apnea Association staff (https://apneuvereniging.nl) and proud to be the OSCAR Translations Team Coordinator. 
***Please help us: We’re always looking for more translators and language editors***

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients, but just dedication to AB. 
(02-16-2019, 09:17 AM)A KLERK Wrote: Though I think that the term "Respirography tool" clearly describes what one would think that the program is doing, it is not an attractive name for the program. It does not invite people to use or download it. The name SleepyHead did not describe what it does, but was very successful indeed.

Worse even: the term does really not describe what the program does! The program visualizes the data a CPAP machine accumulated during the use of it. That is not only the flow rate through the machine, showing each breath (that would be respirography indeed), but also incidents, leakage, pressure and some other phenomena that are recorded by the machine. And these are what a manufacturer has learned the firmware to do, each in its own way.

The proposed name OSCAR indeed does not mean much as such, but the acronym clearly states what the program is and does: Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporting, i.e. an open source program that reports CPAP data for analysis. The name OSCAR however will easily be recognized when used often, like here on ApneaBoard... Bigwink 

No offense, I'm not American, not even a native English speaker. I just would like to contribute my two cents oldman

KISS Principal always reigns.  A KLERK is right-on (Even if he isn't American  Too-funny )
I want to add a couple more opinions, then I'll shut up about it (believe it or not) and let the debate continue.

First, it doesn't seem right that the name "OSCAR" is the best contender so far. It lacks a certain everything. I will admit that it's better than "Sleepyhead", which has always made me wince. But do you really want the first reflexive association in people's minds to be with a muppet, and the second association to be with a slob? (Hmmmm ... do you think both of those Oscars had undiagnosed sleep apnea? It seems likely.)

Second, as at least one person has mentioned already, the Open Source feature is not considered a good selling point by a lot of people in the Establishment, and that will include a lot of people in the medical Establishment. T-shirts are in favor of open source (they know it's good, and why), but suits aren't, generally. I've seen that a lot, over the years. The suits are likely to refer to it as "Open Sores". The folks who know that open-source is a good thing will already know, or assume, that the program is open-source. Those who don't think it's a good thing (and who think that all good software has to be proprietary payware from corporations) don't need to be told about it in the program's name, which could just give them a reason to ignore the program and continue to use Encore, Airview, PAMS, etc.

However, the name "CAR" is even worse, so ... whatever. Let the chips fall where they may.
(02-15-2019, 10:58 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
Spy Car Wrote:While "ApneaGrapher" is a really clear name with regard to its function. Also gets no hits, for now.

ApneaGraph and ApneaGraphy are taken, so I doubt very much you'd be able to register a trademark for ApneaGrapher.  Search for Spiro Medical.

Shame. "ApneaGrapher" has really grown on me. 

No issue with OSCAR?

A few more suggestions:

ApneaNavigator
ApneaMapper
ApneaGram
BreathMapper

Bill

ETA: ApneaTracker
PAPReader

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  String of open airway events vinegarben 34 3,897 02-16-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 340 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  In Need of Help Analyzing Source of Leaks in Oscar rosebladepat 1 384 10-01-2023, 01:48 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Can you open your mouth with CPAP and have no mouth leak? THEVGE 4 712 09-11-2023, 06:06 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  Source for anataomy illustration of how we breathe nose only for CPAP? Stom 0 300 09-08-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Stom
  Does one learn not to open mouth with a Nasal mask? BobH56 7 1,254 09-22-2022, 02:38 PM
Last Post: BobH56

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.