OT Added benefits of CPAP?
OMyMyOHellYes Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics 560 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Respironics System One (no heated hose)
CPAP Pressure: 08.0-15.0 cm/H2O
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: OT Added benefits of CPAP ??????
(05-15-2015 01:39 AM)krelvin Wrote:  
(05-14-2015 07:50 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:  How do you get it cool? I want a reverse heating humidifier.
The reason why a heated humidifier works is because it heats the air which then can carry more moisture, it picks up moisture from the humidity tank and it gets to you.

Reduce the temp and you reduce the amount of moisture that can be carried and you reduce the amount of moisture that gets to you. So while the air is cool it will be much dryer in the process.

That is basically what the humidity control is doing, adjusting the temp to increase or decrease the amount of humidity you get.

Eventually if you get it too cool, there is no real point to have the humidifier at all as you get little moisture from it because the air is too cool to carry it.

I don't need humidification most of the time for CPAP. Never use it when traveling, never use it when on battery, often go without during much of the year. Increasing temperature reduces relative humidity.

I find in many cases that Respironics overdoes humidity any way. When I run it, I run it on 1 which is often too much.I think they would do better to make their 6 setting more like the temperature/humidity of the 3 setting.

One of the treats a really cold winter brings for me is the ability to pull absolutely frigid air into my lungs. So darned refreshing. If I could reproduce that in the summer, it would be great.

05-15-2015 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

Sex: Male

RE: OT Added benefits of CPAP?
reverse humidifier, or at least cooler, drop ice cubes in the humidifier tank.

My respironics has 5 "system one humidity" settings [x1 thru x5] and 5 more conventional humidity settings [1 thru 5]. You get to choose only one of these.

The setting [1] is about the same level as setting [x5]. I find [x4] and [x5] comfortable, and level [3] dampish. On the nights I just cannot seem to nose-breathe, I'll set on [5] and my mouth still gets dry.

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
05-20-2015 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question [Treatment] How long it took you CPAP users to feel all the good benefits of the CPAP therapy? Rousseau21 28 4,212 05-27-2016 06:59 PM
Last Post: bayrunner
Smile Unexpected and Most Welcome benefits from xpap therapy! Mark Douglas 6 1,494 06-26-2015 11:42 AM
Last Post: MobileBasset
  [Health] When did you start feeling the benefits? catalina 31 5,957 06-03-2015 05:38 AM
Last Post: DruiD
  How long before seeing health benefits DariaVader 21 3,408 11-19-2014 07:34 PM
Last Post: retired_guy
  Mask Liner Benefits? chd3143 3 1,218 10-25-2014 04:56 PM
Last Post: Evpraxia
  Australian Health Insurers - CPAP benefits? Moriarty 34 14,809 02-09-2014 04:56 PM
Last Post: zonk
  [Equipment] Insurance Benefits Sleepster 25 9,522 02-04-2013 07:55 PM
Last Post: jgjones1972