Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Dental device, Quattro FX
Humidifier: RESMED H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4.0-12.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Using TPAP custom dental device, with VPAP/BiPAP

Sex: Male

RE: OT: non-drug treatments for anxiety and depression
Exercise, exercise and more exercise! Whatever level you can comfortably do, be it a slow walk around the block or a 10 mile run or a bike ride. And try to gradually ramp it up as you start feeling better.

It is hard to go wrong with exercise.

Picking a mode you can enjoy is critical. An MP3 player can enhance exercise, but please don't ride a bike with headphones.

Hope this helps....Don
08-04-2013 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

What's the problem with wearing headphones while riding a bike? As long as you wear the right type, and don't play the music too loud, you can still hear what's going on around you. I ride trails where motor vehicle traffic is not allowed.

I agree that exercise is a good way to help you get a better night's sleep. It has other benefits as well, including improved mental health.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-04-2013 01:59 PM
Don in Austin Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED S9 VPAP AUTO

(08-04-2013 01:59 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  What's the problem with wearing headphones while riding a bike? As long as you wear the right type, and don't play the music too loud, you can still hear what's going on around you. I ride trails where motor vehicle traffic is not allowed.

I agree that exercise is a good way to help you get a better night's sleep. It has other benefits as well, including improved mental health.

Yep....can't go wrong with it.

On trails without cars, cycling with headphones is maybe not so bad. But I would be worried about not being able to hear overtaking cyclists -- but perhaps nobody passes you! Smile

When on the street I look at it like this: A cyclist is at a horrible disadvantage compared to a motorist -- essentially completely unprotected and vulnerable. But, the cyclist has one enormous advantage which is a far greater awareness of everything around him/her. I choose not to compromise that advantage in any way.
08-04-2013 05:24 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DreamDiver Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Quattro FX Full Face
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10.4 | 11.8
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic EncorePro

Other Comments:

I like the mindful meditation route. It can help clarify the muddled mind.

dreamdiver.org
08-04-2013 09:18 PM
Paptillian Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4 - 10, EPR x2

Other Comments:

Sleepster Wrote:What's the problem with wearing headphones while riding a bike? As long as you wear the right type, and don't play the music too loud, you can still hear what's going on around you. I ride trails where motor vehicle traffic is not allowed.

I've had a few accidents on the mountain bike out on the trail and prefer not to wear earphones just so there's one less thing to get wrapped up in the mechanism and cause me to fall. No matter what kind of earphones I've tried they always find a way to come loose, or the cord comes off the device and dangles.

Also, I bike within city limits and need to be super-aware of anything following me... 2 or 4-legged SHa_biggrin5
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 10:48 PM by Paptillian.)
08-05-2013 05:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Don in Austin Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED S9 VPAP AUTO

(08-05-2013 05:33 PM)Paptillian Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 05:24 PM)Don in Austin Wrote:  What's the problem with wearing headphones while riding a bike? As long as you wear the right type, and don't play the music too loud, you can still hear what's going on around you. I ride trails where motor vehicle traffic is not allowed.

I've had a few accidents on the mountain bike out on the trail and prefer not to wear earphones just so there's one less thing to get wrapped up in the mechanism and cause me to fall. No matter what kind of earphones I've tried they always find a way to come loose, or the cord comes off the device and dangles.

Also, I bike within city limits and need to be super-aware of anything following me... 2 or 4-legged SHa_biggrin5

Actually I am against headphones while cycling also. What appears to be a quote of me is actually my quote of someone else who feels OK wearing headphones while cycling.

Don in Austin
08-05-2013 10:08 PM
Paptillian Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4 - 10, EPR x2

Other Comments:

Yeah, sorry, something didn't transfer well with the quote tags.

Fixed.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 10:48 PM by Paptillian.)
08-05-2013 10:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
stephaniesc1 Offline

New Members

Machine: none
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
I used to have a lot of nightmares and anxiety problems and tried everything imaginable to stop them - including tons of SSRIs. Halfway through my senior year of study at a community college I started to have serious nightmares, the kind where I'd get up discovering my whole bed drenched in sweat.

What was strange was that my scenario was often a similar: I would be in the park when all of a sudden hail would overwhelm me. I would then wake up wide-eyed and petrified, too afraid to go back to sleep.

It's like a joke now, but in those days I absolutely dreaded sleeping. I would try the craziest sleep schedules to avoid having nightmares, but I always would forfeit the fight against the urge to rest.

Anyways after a terrible dream I was skimming blogs with the purpose of finding potential cures when I came upon the idea of lucid dreams. I discovered many electronic "guidebooks" with tons methods for lucid dreaming. But, after attempting these methods for just under two weeks I continued to have no authority over my nightmares. I then noticed an online review on one guide - google "ReviewsPanel fast track" and take a look at the review for the Lucid Dreaming Fast Track product suite - and as a result of my annoyance decided to buy it. Doing so was a great choice... After about four months I observed great dominance over my nightmares. I conclude that my success is due to the powerful audio cues in the Lucid Dreaming Fast Track course.

At any rate, that's my two cents.
08-06-2013 11:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  High anxiety and discomfort Tikka 26 1,556 04-15-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: richb
  Anybody had depression/anxiety improve with CPap? Sleepyabby 17 1,400 02-25-2016 03:54 PM
Last Post: Weird Tolkienish Figure
  Pillow Anxiety Geniale 12 1,415 02-23-2016 12:21 PM
Last Post: AllenRx
Ohmy Can starting to use cpap berelated to daytime anxiety? ezdrifler 4 568 01-25-2016 11:27 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
Rainbow [Health] Depression, sadness in this gloomy season SuperSleeper 8 775 11-18-2015 04:12 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  apnea and anxiety shakes 13 2,400 07-01-2015 04:28 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Ohmy obstructive sleep apnea vs anxiety attacks lunarweblink 4 1,264 06-25-2015 07:09 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred