Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face/nasal/pillow modes?
Question 
Full face/nasal/pillow modes?
I’m just a nerd I guess. But what do those different mask modes do exactly? I have a Airsense 11 and I was just curious. 

Can anyone shed light on this? Is it just leak rates correction or is there some pressure changes for different mask restriction resistance?

I was wondering because I am trying to find the best mask for me and I get a lot of flow limits on nasal pillows compared to full face. And I subjectively  feel like there’s a lot less air.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full face/nasal/pillow modes?
As far as I have determined, the various settings compensate for the airflow resistance and possible average dead space in the various mask styles. This compensation appears to adjust the device's airflow so that the device delivers the appropriate therapy pressure to the mask.

I tried measuring pressures with a CPAP pressure gauge, and there was a slight difference in pressure when the mask style did not agree with the setting. However, due to the lack of calibration, unknown precision, and other confounding variables, this should be treated anecdotally.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full face/nasal/pillow modes?
Ah. A fellow curious mind. Good info. I considered making a water manometer to see how it changes with the modes myself.

Thanks for that!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 158 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 526 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,611 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,874 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 267 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.