Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Observation - used machine value
Observation - used machine value
Why is it, when I take a look at Craigslist I usually see machines that are several years old, and two generations back, and an undisclosed number of hours (which I assume is probably high, or maybe not, if it was the machine Aunt Gertie got in 1998 and never plugged in), but folks think it likely that somebody will pay an outrageous price?

Recently saw
"ResMed S8 Elite II CPAP Machine with H4i Heated Humidifier

"Gently used CPAP machine. For sale 800$ or best offer. Email or call and make an offer but not too low. Will not go much lower than stated price.
"

Is it ignorance? If they are on CL then they can surely see far newer S-9s and even S-10s listed for way less - half in fact. And other ads right next to them for S-8s at $100. Do they really think that what their insurance paid ten years ago is still a reasonable measure of market value? (Anybody interested in a Pentium-II based PC for just less than $2,300? It has like a 10 GB hard drive and 128 MB of RAM! Windows '98!)

I would never do it, but you kind of want to reply and just say, "Um, you know, you can get a factory new S-9 Autoset for like $700, don't you, dude?"

Just a rambling thought about the perceived value mindset...

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Observation - used machine value
There is an S-6 out there right now for only $350 ..... Just sayin'
Post Reply Post Reply
Some of them were probably told by their DME that their S8 Elite machine cost $2500, the humidifier was $300, the masks were $250, the hose was $80, etc. Then they saw the DME's bill before the insurance knocked it down to $1000 for the package.

Then they don't realize that an S8 vs. an AirSense 10 is like a 1980 model car vs. a 2015 model car.

Then they might just be hoping to find a sucker.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with you on that one OMy . I just chuckle when I see them and tell myself that one will still be listed in a month or two.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2015, 10:03 PM)archangle Wrote: Then they don't realize that an S8 vs. an AirSense 10 is like a 1980 model car vs. a 2015 model car.

Plymouth K-Car?
Chebby Citation?
AMC Pacer?

Oh, My!
Post Reply Post Reply
Just looked in my area and there's a black A10 auto for $500, an unknown S9 for $450, and an Escape II for $250. All by folks who "just could not get used to it". Hope they can get used to high blood pressure and all the other ailments.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't forget.

"Philips ResMed S8 Escape - Latest top of the line model."

"Recently sanitized."
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, there will be that one uninformed person who will purchase one of those machines. Perturbed
It makes me angry when I see newbes post on this forum post about their "new" CPAP machine, and they don't realize that their DME or supplier just pawned off on them the bottom of the line machine.
I know because I was one of those. I wish I had been more informed when I first went to purchase machine.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently purchased a PRS one 550 with heated humidifier on Craig's list. It was one of several. I sent emails to 6 sellers asking "exactly what model, how many machine hours. Four of them never replied which told me they were looking for that sucker and understood what they were doing. The machine I bought had very low machine hours. I asked the questions that I did as a direct result of reading this forum for several weeks. It made me mad to realize that the others seem to be trying to take advantage of others.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,131 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,787 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  ResMed F30 mask observation Big Guy 2 985 07-03-2020, 05:54 AM
Last Post: car54
  Dream Observation tiredPerson 7 1,651 06-28-2018, 06:51 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  observation and questions about CA and anything related xxyzx 15 2,533 04-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.