Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Obstruction on Exhallation
Obstruction on Exhallation
I have a new problem, greatly exacerbated with switch from ResMed S9 Auto to DreamStation Auto.  At the beginning of exhalation, it feels like I have airway collapse.  It idoes not prevent me from exhaling, ultimately, but it is enough to keep me from falling asleep.  It probably occurs as I start to drift/fall asleep.  It happened occasionally with prior machine, and I overcame it by intentionally taking shallower more relaxed breaths for a bit.  That doesn't work with new machine.  I had pressures set at 7.5 - 12, as per some suggestions yesterday on previous post.  I changed the Flex settings, then tried dropping the lower pressure setting to 4, all to no avail.  I'm really out of my depth here.  Is this the sort of thing that BiPap is used for? This is going to kill my sleeping.

On top of this, my wife said I was snoring through the mask this morning.  Top pressure not high enough?  Here is my data from last night..........

[attachment=3427]

Anybody have any ideas??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Obstruction on Exhallation
I would set your min to 6.5, and expect to eventually end near 7.5 cm
Because you are nearly at 5 AHI I am being somewhat conservative in my approach.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2017, 11:02 AM)eLPete Wrote: I have a new problem, greatly exacerbated with switch from ResMed S9 Auto to DreamStation Auto.  At the beginning of exhalation, it feels like I have airway collapse.  
Anybody have any ideas??

I had the same problem when starting therapy with my S9.  I found it traced back to using the EPR setting.  I needed a backpressure to prevent my airway from closing on exhale.  I hope this may provide an avenue for you to explore.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think this is similar to Flex setting on the DreamStation and I have set it to the max (3).  I also tried it on 1 and on 2.  No real difference.  I also used EPR on the ResMed S9 I was using.  Still had this problem creeping up on me in recent months. I wonder if I should just turn Flex off in the Provider settings???
Post Reply Post Reply
You might as well try it. The worst thing that can happen is it not work.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Alot of folks have problems with Flex or EPR settings.
I'd say turn off the flex setting for now, and give it 4 to 5 days to see if you notice a difference.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the 3 resmed s9 elite can you adjust the EPR?
I need to go in and check mine tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK.  Thanks.  I will try this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had this too, as bonjour said....more minimum pressure. This can be done by reducing the pressure relief or raising the minimum, or a bit of both. You need as much pressure as you need to fix this, keep increasing pressure till it stops. I found it stopped instantaneous when I got to the pressure I needed as I fell asleep. I then gave it an extra cm because when you are asleep your muscles relax more. I think you can also pick it up on sleepyhead, if you zoom in and look at the breath in.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I side with ajack in this.  in general Opal Rose and bonjour have excellent advice, but I'll throw in a curve ball.

You seem to be reacting to the fact that the pressure support reduces once inhale is over, and exhale is beginning.  part of this is a planned/programmed relief to aid in exhaling.  

One reason you are reacting is that it actually feels different and you can't nod off because you feel that and are alerted to it.  changing it back to 4 (or even starting as high as 5.5) does something to your machine.  The machine will not "relax" the exhale pressure until the inhale pressure is 6 or above.

My suggestion:

Do a ramp, starting at 5cm, and ramp time 15 minutes.  This lets the machine just give you 5 for inhale and 5 for exhale.  You will be comfortable to fall asleep.
Set you minimum back to 7.5 (or 7 is ok).  Leave your maximum at 12.

If you are awakened and feel that uncomfortable feeling, just press the ramp button, and it will get you back to 5 and start your ramp again.
by the way, to start your night, you will also have to press the ramp button once you have started the machine.
By the way, at a setting of 7.5, the inhale pressure is 7.5 and exhale pressure is 5.5, so the exhale pressure will remain as you drift off to sleep.

Your sleep brain does not care about the reduced exhale pressure.  It is just the awake brain that needs assurance.

You'll read many posters saying after a while, you'll not even want the ramp.  Great.  When that happens, just don't push it.
(and that will happen)

Sleep, Dream, Rest.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,787 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Prisma Smart Max chart, obstruction vs OSCAR flow limits? Stubert 0 525 02-20-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Stubert
  Solved obstruction but CA events increased BarbikyuChikin 2 579 09-27-2022, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  EPAP - Expiratory Palatal Obstruction (EPO) settings question gcritchley 7 1,575 02-15-2021, 01:44 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  obstruction in the exhale cycle, a year later sleepyzzz 4 1,560 10-09-2019, 11:39 AM
Last Post: sleepyzzz
  Throat obstruction when awake Velacooks 17 2,432 06-22-2019, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Velacooks
  Obstruction always associated with increase in leak graph yankees123 10 1,951 10-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Last Post: mesenteria

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.