Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Obstructive Vs central sleep apnea
Obstructive Vs central sleep apnea
So from previous threads I have been posting trying to lower my rdi.

My machine is a weinman somnobalance. Was looking at the csv file on the chip and decided to re-read the pdfs on line for my machine. Turns out, I can get lots of information off of the display of the machine.

So my machine breaks down my events obstructive apnea and central apnea then gives me a total number.

So for last night, I had an rdi of 6.9. .9 were osa and 6 were csa.

So my question is, how accurate is this? I have been tired and brain foggy lately. Now I google csa and frankly it scares me. Doesnt sound like there is anything I can do about it either. I will be going to the clinic to see the machine is working properly on tuesday, but what can be done about csa? Am I doomed?

I am only 55 years old and I run every morning. Could this be affecting me?

Have another question about my humidifier will post in a separate thread.

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Obstructive Vs central sleep apnea
I would not get too panicky. Six is not a lot. And breathing while falling asleep or waking up can be inaccurately scored as CSA. And if you have not been using your machine long, this might just be your brain's reaction to the pressure and new sleeping environment. I got them often when I started and now get about 1 a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
You ever get a blast of air in your face and have it catch your breathing? Strong wind or high speed fan? This would register as a central, no effort to breath because you stopped. Pressure changes can cause this so can turning over. Now you start getting 30+ an hour and yes it is a different thing.

The quest for a solution for not sleeping well IMHO lies someplace else, most likely one or more of the "comfort" settings. Take a look at your manual and see what they let you have access to, see if you can find the "real" owners manual as they tend to have more adjustments in there. Unless you are "default" you should be able to tune it to what you need
Post Reply Post Reply
Check out the SleepyHead Beginnner's Guide section on obstructive and central apneas. Basically, a CA from your machine is not as reliable as a CA from a sleep study. Different machines use different algorithms to attempt to detect it, but without other equipment hooked up to your body, all of them are limited in their ability to make that guess.

It's not necessarily lying to you-- just gotta take it with a grain of salt and try to understand its limitations.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:what can be done about csa? Am I doomed?

Quite a lot can be done, and I hope you're not doomed because I would be too.

As mentioned above a central apnea index of 6 is not catastrophic and might in fact be a temporary phenomenon. Many people experience centrals when they start PAP therapy as the brain gets used to the different levels of O2 and CO2. Usually these go away after a while. It's also the case that machines can misdiagnose some centrals. Even if your centrals are endemic and don't go away they can still be treated. Worst case scenario is that you need a different type of machine - an adaptive servo ventilator (ASV) such as the Resmed VPAP Adapt or Resmed CS Pacewave. These are expensive but work extremely well.

My untreated AHI was around 60 of which 50% were centrals. With the ASV it's typically under 2, often under 1 with no apneas at all, just a few hypopneas. So I'm not doomed and I started from a far worse place than you did.
Post Reply Post Reply
Holding your breath while turning over is very much like a CA but generally will not score as one because it does not last for the minimum of 10 seconds required to score an apnea.

CAs scored while falling asleep or waking up or cycling between the two are still CAs but not of any concern because it is normal for this to happen when your body is trying to decide whether to use awake control or asleep control for your breathing.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,524 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.