Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hate noise of PRS1 Auto 60 Series machine
Sad 
Hate noise of PRS1 Auto 60 Series machine
I have been using this machine for a couple of months and the sound on inhalation aggravates me and keeps me awake. Sometimes it takes me 4 hours to fall asleep.

It took a while to get used to my old machine's sound but certainly not 2 months. I would go back to the old machine but it is dying.

I saw the sleep doctor today and she thinks I need to talk to my psychiatrist about it. I don't think it's a psychological issue. I am in a rental period with the PRS1 and I wonder if I should be trying to talk my doctor into ordering the ResMed S9 AutoSet for me.

Does anyone have experience with both the PRS1 Auto and the ResMed S9 AutoSet? Is the ResMed quieter?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hate noise of PRS1 Auto 60 Series machine
What sleep doctor think a psychiatrist will do to fix a noisy machine? maybe the psychiatrist does CPAP repair on the side

If the noise is loud enough to interfere with your sleep, take it back (might be faulty) replaced with new machine or different machine

My machines does make a slight noise at exhale, others have the same problem too. I've a small fan next to the machine and place it below the mattress. You might place the machine on mouse pad to dampen the noise and try something ... like turn off Flex/Ramp, humidifier without the heated hose, place the machine further away from you, sleep on the side not facing the machine ... something might work, who knows
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used both and found little difference noise wise, but maybe I'm less sensitive to noise than you. I generally have found noise variation between different masks far more noticeable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2014, 06:28 PM)sleepy_one Wrote: I have been using this machine for a couple of months and the sound on inhalation aggravates me and keeps me awake. Sometimes it takes me 4 hours to fall asleep.

It took a while to get used to my old machine's sound but certainly not 2 months. I would go back to the old machine but it is dying.

I saw the sleep doctor today and she thinks I need to talk to my psychiatrist about it. I don't think it's a psychological issue. I am in a rental period with the PRS1 and I wonder if I should be trying to talk my doctor into ordering the ResMed S9 AutoSet for me.

Does anyone have experience with both the PRS1 Auto and the ResMed S9 AutoSet? Is the ResMed quieter?
Hi sleepy_one,
Since you are renting this machine, I would take it back and either see if you could exchange it for the S9AutoSet, or, another one of the machines like you have now.
Good luck and don't let your sleep doc pass this off as a psychiatric issue, SOMETIMES, machines DO, make noise and sometimes the noises they make CAN be a real problem that interferes with sleeping. As far as other machines making noise, my Resmed S9AutoSet has a slight whistle on the breathing out but, for me, it isn't bothersome, of course, YMMV.
Good luck to you with this situation.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw a product called "CPAP Bedside Holder" (Supplier #1 sells them -- probably all of them). The purpose is to free up your nightstand, but I think it would also help with your noise problem as well. It positions the CPAP beside your bed, at the level where your mattress meets the boxspring (lower than ear level).

edit: I use an S9 with EPR=3, and the noise it makes is annoying because of the pressures changes with the EPR setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know that none of us are the same, and what works for one person may not work for another.

Some of us, at one point or another, tend to wake up in a panic thinking our dream machine is not working! I myself am using a bi-level machine that is 5-7yrs old, and you can hear it cycle up and down as the airflow changes - but for me, whether while trying to fall asleep, or when waking in the night, I find the 'noise' to be reassuring myself. Sorta like 'counting sheep', or the like I guess.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2014, 06:28 PM)sleepy_one Wrote: I saw the sleep doctor today and she thinks I need to talk to my psychiatrist about it. I don't think it's a psychological issue. I am in a rental period with the PRS1 and I wonder if I should be trying to talk my doctor into ordering the ResMed S9 AutoSet for me.

Your sleep doctor needs a psychiatrist. What a sleezebag blaming it on you and using a psychiatrist as a threat.

Some people find PRS1 machines noisier and some find S9 noisier. It seems that occasionally someone gets a particular noisy machine of either model.

Some tricks that have worked for some people:

1. Clean and change the filters.
  2. Try without the white filter.
  3. Turn Flex off and see if the varying noise makes a difference.
  4. Remove the water tank, then detach the humidifier, and reassemble everything to be sure it's not leaking air somewhere.
  5. Plug the end of the hose and listen for air leaks
  6. Be sure the machine isn't sitting on a hard surface that can resonate and amplify the noise. Don't put it on something so soft that it can sink in and restrict air flow under the unit or into the air intake.
  7. Move the blower unit somewhere the sound is blocked. Behind the headboard, in a drawer, etc. Make sure it's not somewhere too dusty near the air inlet on the back of the machine. Place a pillow or something between your head and the machine.
  8. Make a box of some kind to put it in with a hole for the hose to run through. Make sure there's a path for air to get in, but the hole doesn't need to be that big. A few square inches will be fine because the machine will suck air into the box when it's running.
    Also be sure that if the humidifier leaks water, it will drain out rather than collecting in the bottom of the box and drowning the machine.
  9. Run a fan somewhere in the room to help drown out the noise.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
For what it's worth I've had two Resmeds and one Respironics on loan recently. The first Resmed (S9 Autoset) and Respironics (BiPap ASV) were effectively silent - I couldn't hear them running.

The second ResMed - the one I actually paid - for was very slightly noisy to start with and over a couple of months has become progressively more so. I'm going to take it in for the 6 month service and see if they can't silence it for me.

Post Reply Post Reply
Before I settled on the S9, I tried two PR1s and found them both to be excessively noisy. Supplier #1 worked with me and the manufacturer for two months until I decided the S9 was worth the additional expense not to have to listen to a PR1.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,255 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 85 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 141 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,602 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
  [CPAP] So far I hate CPAP mindyb01 5 399 01-24-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: rogerded1
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 593 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.