Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Odd Low Level Leak
Odd Low Level Leak
Hi all. I recently replaced my three month old AirFit P10 with a new mask (thank you insurance); same size same model. However, I am finding a constant leak rate. For example, with my old mask I might have long periods of no leakage registering, interrupted by an occasional spike or two. With the new mask, I get a constant baseline leak around 2.0-3.0 and spikes occur off that baseline. That is not the way it looked under the old mask.

To me, it seems to suggest some sort of ongoing and oddly constant leak at a low level. I've attached a JPG to show this.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Odd Low Level Leak
Compared to mine, your leak rate is very low. Mine hovers around 25 all night.

[Image: Leak08-oct-16.PNG]
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe they have redesigned the exhaust diffuser mesh a bit. There were complaints it was not flowing freely after washing. I don't know if that was true or not, but several threads dealt with that. A slightly freer flow might show up as a low-level leak in comparison.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, it's the mask. Same thing happened to me. My first mask started at 2.0 until I got my first replacement. My new mask started at 0 unless I had a real leak. It was very plain this was happening because the day I changed to my new mask I had taken a nap with the old mask. You could see the difference in the two sessions. For a test, several days later, I changed back and the 2 liters per min leak came back. I tryed cleaning the old mask with no change. I can't say this a defect or not, or will change anything, but it is very real.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect it's an artifact of the calculation of leak rate.

The machine has to find the baseline for the absolute flow from the machine; I assume by numerical integration of the flow waveform.
Then subtract a mask vent rate at the measured pressure -- probably a table lookup.
The difference is the calculated leak rate.

If they did increase the vent rate, it wouldn't match the table; and the resulting leak rate would be calculated as higher.
Following that logic, it's the mask...
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks of the thoughts everyone. So is the point here that the new mask is more or less the same as the old mask (which it should be), but that the leak calculation is starting from a different baseline? Or is the point that there is some sort of constant leak or maybe even defect in the new mask, and it should be addressed? Sorry, it wasn't entirely clear to me. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm thinking they increased the vent rate of the mask. That tricks the machine into thinking there is a 2 LPM unintended leak.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  traveling from sea level to SLC eok361 2 74 04-16-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 337 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,260 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 412 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,476 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 147 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.