Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Odd flow rate graph
Odd flow rate graph
Hello,

I recently switched to a F30i mask and today while looking at my data I noticed that for part of my sleep my flow rate looked very weird. Please see the attached photos. Also, the respiratory rate increased to 50 during this time whereas my normal respiratory rate stays around 15. 

I'm wondering what could explain this?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Odd flow rate graph
Here's also a screenshot of the flow limitation which seems high.

Post Reply Post Reply
Normally, can I call it normal, if we see this high of a RR it is because of a cardiogenic effect. Your heart beat is being imposed on your breathing. There is some of that as evidenced by the smaller bumps crossing the zero line. But, especially at the start of the chart I see rapid but fairly normal rapid breathing of about 1 per second. Other than the rate the breathing is lacking a prolonged exhalation when compared to the inhale, this is no big deal. The rate is.
What you are doing is breathing in and out every second approximately. You can mimic this while you are reading this, just force your breaths every second. There are flow Limits and some cardiogenic effect in the chart but not near enough to explain this.
I am currently at a loss as to why. Bad dream or panic attack initiated? I don't know.

Has this happened before or since?
Post Reply Post Reply
Would you please show a zoomed chart of the begining of the event.

Also a full night chart (drop the calendar) standard view and a full night of the Advanced view, I want to see your tidal volume and minute vent to see if they offer any additional information
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much for the reply! This has not happened before and this is from last night's sleep. I guess it's just an anomaly that I should ignore. Yes, perhaps it could be due to a dream.

Though, could it have anything to do with the machine/tubing? So I have a slim tube and a heated tube. I used the slim tube last night. The slim tube is by some generic brand and fits very tightly into the blower end of the machine (i.e., you really have to push it tight to fix it). I've noticed that the it delivers pressure more forcefully than the heated tube at the same minimum pressure (9 cm). Now I'm not sure why that is but I feel noticeably better when I use the slim tube than when I use the heated tube. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the abnormal breathing that I experienced (probably not), but this is also something that I was wondering about.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the charts as requested. I hope they're as you wanted them.

Also, note that for my third therapy period (the 3h 35m one in which the abnormal breathing takes place), I used the F30i mask. For the first two I used another mask. I'm not sure if the abnormal breathing has anything to do with the mask but perhaps it could be a possibility? I do have the mask on tight.

Post Reply Post Reply
Different tube sizes have different settings in your machine. The heated tube is automatically sensed.
You, educated guess, have and are using a recalled Dreamstation, are you using an AB, anti bacterial filter with it? This can be used to catch decomposing foam particles, but are sensitive to humidity and should be used without a humidifier.

Let's get this sorted out

You should not have that rapid of a breathing rate. The deal here is your breathing rate was actually rapid, and not artificially counted as rapid with the base rate being normal. If you had a nother incident I was going to have you consult a pulmonologist.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I now use a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. I should update my profile! I've been using the Resmed for about 1.5 weeks now.

Ok, I'll watch out for my breathing pattern and see if this occurs again. Thanks for the advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
In the event closeup above before the rapid breathing started, see the little bumps in the tail of the exhale. Those are cardiogenic effect. If those bumps are slightly bigger and cross the zero line they are incorrectly counted as breaths. That is what I expected, but did not see.

Between this normal breathing and the rapid breathing you had a period where you essentially slowed and briefly stopped breathing as you tossed, this is a normal arousal. This could be that bad dream/panic attack.

Definitely keep an eye out for recurring episodes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your tubing size setting could be wrong
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 6 60 10 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 240 1 hour ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 240 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 307 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.