Off to law school, and scared as hell...
jdireton Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Elite
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: ClimateLine Hose

Sex: Male

RE: Off to law school, and scared as hell...
Nem,

I understand having limited funds in grad school. I can also tell you that I used to fall asleep in class, be "fuzzy" a lot, etc. and I'm sure that didn't help my studies.

When you get settled, check with some local Durable Medical Equipment (DME) providers about renting an APAP. APAP's are no substitute for a full sleep study, but it could help you optimize the set pressure for the CPAP you already have. You should be able to do this if you already have a CPAP prescription.

Not a great route but it could help you at limited cost. As stated repeatedly above, a setpoint of 4 cmH2O is the lowest therapeutical setpoint. Most people will likely need higher pressure for optimal treatment.

Keep us up to date with your progress. We'll help any way we can!
08-27-2012 08:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Hey Nem, good to see you made it to school and all appears well. When and if you start looking around for that APAP, take a look at Supplier #2 on our supplier list:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List
Secondwind does an excellent job with offering gently used machines with low hours on them for a great price. Many of us have used them as an alternative to doing the insurance route or because we could not get help from our insurance! Just a thought since I know that starving students have limited disposable income!

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
08-27-2012 09:37 AM
Nemutai Offline

Members

Machine: Philips system one
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: Philips System One
CPAP Pressure: 4
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

jdirection and mjbearit: Thanks very much! I'll check those guys out ASAP.

Also, I tried sleeping with the pressure of 5 last night with the humidity set at 2 in the full face mask. Woke up full of drool yet again... I guess I'm going to have to switch back to a nose pillow.
I was able to sleep about 4 hours last night with the mask on, and I have an AHI reading of 4, with a large leak percentage of 8
08-27-2012 07:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

If you use the nasal pillows, you will probably need a chin strap.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-27-2012 08:02 PM
Nemutai Offline

Members

Mask Make & Model:

Other Comments:

(08-27-2012 08:02 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  If you use the nasal pillows, you will probably need a chin strap.

Is a chin strap dangerous, considering I have a deviated septum which causes breathing through my nose to be very difficult at times. What if my nose gets clogged up and I can't open my mouth Confused
08-27-2012 08:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

A chin strap won't lock your mouth closed. It is quite easy to open it. If you have trouble breathing through your nose, nasal pillows won't work. You'll be opening your mouth, leaking air, and the CPAP at that point is basically useless.

Many people find that the air from the xPAP actually keeps their noses clear at night. Nasal rinses also help with congestion.

Try using an ace bandage. Sit up with the mask and machine on, wrap from the top of your head to your chin and back up again. Play with the stretch of the bandage until you have it to where you are comfortable and you trust it.

I had a chin strap for a short while and all it was just a 2-3" wide by I guess 1' long with Velcro on the end. Go to some of the online suppliers and take a look at the chinstraps.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-27-2012 09:15 PM
Nemutai Offline

Members

Mask Make & Model:

Other Comments:

(08-27-2012 09:15 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  A chin strap won't lock your mouth closed. It is quite easy to open it. If you have trouble breathing through your nose, nasal pillows won't work. You'll be opening your mouth, leaking air, and the CPAP at that point is basically useless.

Many people find that the air from the xPAP actually keeps their noses clear at night. Nasal rinses also help with congestion.

Try using an ace bandage. Sit up with the mask and machine on, wrap from the top of your head to your chin and back up again. Play with the stretch of the bandage until you have it to where you are comfortable and you trust it.

I had a chin strap for a short while and all it was just a 2-3" wide by I guess 1' long with Velcro on the end. Go to some of the online suppliers and take a look at the chinstraps.

Will do Smile Thanks very much!!!!
08-27-2012 09:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
dakota Offline

Members

Machine: None
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: None

Other Comments: I am a registered sleep technologist

A pressure of 4 is very low. I have only had a 6YO on that pressure. I would try a 5 or a 6 in pressure and an adjustable ruby tiara chinstrap.

If you can, try a nasal mask (Zest, Activa LT, Ultra Mirage II, Micro Mirage) instead of a nasal pillow. Sometimes the nasal mask eases the pressure enough to make you mouth vent a lot less.

Also, your doctor sounds like a super jerkface and I'd suggest maybe finding a new one.
08-28-2012 08:29 AM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Chinstraps just keep the mouth closed when the jaw muscles are relaxed. The mouth still opens with the slightest muscular effort. You can talk, drink, and probably even eat with one on.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

08-28-2012 08:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Nemutai Offline

Members

Mask Make & Model:

Other Comments:

(08-28-2012 08:29 AM)dakota Wrote:  A pressure of 4 is very low. I have only had a 6YO on that pressure. I would try a 5 or a 6 in pressure and an adjustable ruby tiara chinstrap.

If you can, try a nasal mask (Zest, Activa LT, Ultra Mirage II, Micro Mirage) instead of a nasal pillow. Sometimes the nasal mask eases the pressure enough to make you mouth vent a lot less.

Also, your doctor sounds like a super jerkface and I'd suggest maybe finding a new one.

Doctor was an absolute idiot....
I'll look into the nasal mask, although I think the nasal pillow with chinstrap combo might be the way to go

(08-28-2012 08:32 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  Chinstraps just keep the mouth closed when the jaw muscles are relaxed. The mouth still opens with the slightest muscular effort. You can talk, drink, and probably even eat with one on.

That is very reassuring to hear.
Time to find another nasal pillow. Anyone have any recommendations on a good affordable one, as it appears my school does not cover them....
08-30-2012 01:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question [Treatment] Scared 25y/o Newbie With needs Advice finding New Mask ebcaraway 6 492 06-22-2016 06:38 AM
Last Post: I_will_never_sleep_again
  New here... really scared. Gogetah 22 3,051 08-29-2015 07:34 AM
Last Post: otrpu
  Scared to death! pgolson 55 8,571 04-15-2015 04:40 PM
Last Post: archangle
Gross Night from hell DeepBreathing 12 1,960 03-07-2015 12:48 AM
Last Post: Ghost1958
  [Symptoms] Home test clears me, but oxygen sat levels are LOW. Please help. Scared. JVinNE 24 4,365 01-27-2015 06:58 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Sad Scared newly diagnosed got sleep study results today kfujioka 16 4,043 09-07-2014 11:57 PM
Last Post: Peter_C
  New, scared and looking for advice shari 19 4,689 10-08-2013 06:24 PM
Last Post: knightlite