Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Off to law school, and scared as hell...
RE: Off to law school, and scared as hell...
Nem,

I understand having limited funds in grad school. I can also tell you that I used to fall asleep in class, be "fuzzy" a lot, etc. and I'm sure that didn't help my studies.

When you get settled, check with some local Durable Medical Equipment (DME) providers about renting an APAP. APAP's are no substitute for a full sleep study, but it could help you optimize the set pressure for the CPAP you already have. You should be able to do this if you already have a CPAP prescription.

Not a great route but it could help you at limited cost. As stated repeatedly above, a setpoint of 4 cmH2O is the lowest therapeutical setpoint. Most people will likely need higher pressure for optimal treatment.

Keep us up to date with your progress. We'll help any way we can!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Nem, good to see you made it to school and all appears well. When and if you start looking around for that APAP, take a look at Supplier #2 on our supplier list:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Secondwind does an excellent job with offering gently used machines with low hours on them for a great price. Many of us have used them as an alternative to doing the insurance route or because we could not get help from our insurance! Just a thought since I know that starving students have limited disposable income!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
jdirection and mjbearit: Thanks very much! I'll check those guys out ASAP.

Also, I tried sleeping with the pressure of 5 last night with the humidity set at 2 in the full face mask. Woke up full of drool yet again... I guess I'm going to have to switch back to a nose pillow.
I was able to sleep about 4 hours last night with the mask on, and I have an AHI reading of 4, with a large leak percentage of 8
Post Reply Post Reply
If you use the nasal pillows, you will probably need a chin strap.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2012, 08:02 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If you use the nasal pillows, you will probably need a chin strap.

Is a chin strap dangerous, considering I have a deviated septum which causes breathing through my nose to be very difficult at times. What if my nose gets clogged up and I can't open my mouth :S
Post Reply Post Reply
A chin strap won't lock your mouth closed. It is quite easy to open it. If you have trouble breathing through your nose, nasal pillows won't work. You'll be opening your mouth, leaking air, and the CPAP at that point is basically useless.

Many people find that the air from the xPAP actually keeps their noses clear at night. Nasal rinses also help with congestion.

Try using an ace bandage. Sit up with the mask and machine on, wrap from the top of your head to your chin and back up again. Play with the stretch of the bandage until you have it to where you are comfortable and you trust it.

I had a chin strap for a short while and all it was just a 2-3" wide by I guess 1' long with Velcro on the end. Go to some of the online suppliers and take a look at the chinstraps.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2012, 09:15 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: A chin strap won't lock your mouth closed. It is quite easy to open it. If you have trouble breathing through your nose, nasal pillows won't work. You'll be opening your mouth, leaking air, and the CPAP at that point is basically useless.

Many people find that the air from the xPAP actually keeps their noses clear at night. Nasal rinses also help with congestion.

Try using an ace bandage. Sit up with the mask and machine on, wrap from the top of your head to your chin and back up again. Play with the stretch of the bandage until you have it to where you are comfortable and you trust it.

I had a chin strap for a short while and all it was just a 2-3" wide by I guess 1' long with Velcro on the end. Go to some of the online suppliers and take a look at the chinstraps.

Will do Smile Thanks very much!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
A pressure of 4 is very low. I have only had a 6YO on that pressure. I would try a 5 or a 6 in pressure and an adjustable ruby tiara chinstrap.

If you can, try a nasal mask (Zest, Activa LT, Ultra Mirage II, Micro Mirage) instead of a nasal pillow. Sometimes the nasal mask eases the pressure enough to make you mouth vent a lot less.

Also, your doctor sounds like a super jerkface and I'd suggest maybe finding a new one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chinstraps just keep the mouth closed when the jaw muscles are relaxed. The mouth still opens with the slightest muscular effort. You can talk, drink, and probably even eat with one on.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2012, 08:29 AM)dakota Wrote: A pressure of 4 is very low. I have only had a 6YO on that pressure. I would try a 5 or a 6 in pressure and an adjustable ruby tiara chinstrap.

If you can, try a nasal mask (Zest, Activa LT, Ultra Mirage II, Micro Mirage) instead of a nasal pillow. Sometimes the nasal mask eases the pressure enough to make you mouth vent a lot less.

Also, your doctor sounds like a super jerkface and I'd suggest maybe finding a new one.

Doctor was an absolute idiot....
I'll look into the nasal mask, although I think the nasal pillow with chinstrap combo might be the way to go

(08-28-2012, 08:32 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Chinstraps just keep the mouth closed when the jaw muscles are relaxed. The mouth still opens with the slightest muscular effort. You can talk, drink, and probably even eat with one on.

That is very reassuring to hear.
Time to find another nasal pillow. Anyone have any recommendations on a good affordable one, as it appears my school does not cover them....

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What the hell is waking me up ? meloveg 2 591 03-31-2023, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Psychotech
  [Symptoms] I'm scared. Am I at risk of death? Or is my pulse oximeter acting up? 444stranger444 5 834 08-04-2022, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Complex Apnea Diagnosis--VERY SCARED ColdHands 11 1,299 10-22-2021, 06:50 PM
Last Post: readingteacher
Sad My life has become living hell [nose blockage] arc0509 62 10,540 07-01-2021, 01:39 AM
Last Post: arc0509
  Just got diagnosed, a bit scared, how bad is it? SufiMindtricks 14 1,587 01-06-2021, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Newly Diagnosed Scared and Depressed flcpap17 6 969 10-27-2020, 01:50 AM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  [CPAP] The first week from hell moe from Canada 10 2,314 10-01-2020, 01:13 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.