Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Off to law school, and scared as hell...
RE: Off to law school, and scared as hell...
I am just testing an F&P Pilairo and it is the most stable pillows that I have tried yet. I have a review in the reviews section if you want to read more.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are so many to choose from, and it's such a personal choice. The first thing I look at is the hose routing. I like to route my hose up towards my forehead where it attaches to a strap, and then up and over the headboard. Right now I'm using the ComfortLite 2 and it works quite well. In November I'm due for a new mask and will try either the Swift FX or the Pilairo. Haven't decided yet. I also used the Opus before and liked that one, too.

You really have to try different masks because what works well for one person may not work well for another. Sleeping position and pillow position affect the noise a mask makes. Noise comes fom the exhaust port and from leaks, bothers some people but not others. It's a real trial-and-error process to find the right mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm quite new at this myself. I was very lucky to find a sleep therapist who was willing to try different masks and also to look at the data and try a different prescription. Like any other medical issue, you need someone you can trust and talk to. You may not be able to switch doctors easily, but if you don't like the supplier/technician you first went to, go elsewhere. Some sleep centres will give you 30 day trials.

I was prescribed a full face mask but after 2 weeks the numbers were so good that she suggested trying nasal pillows. It's taken 3 masks but I've settled on the Opus 360. The pillows fit me very comfortably and I like running the hose over my head. This will only work if you don't thrash in bed. All I do is turn side to back to side.

As for the chin strap, if you're a mouth breather, you'll have more trouble with nasal pillows. However, if the air pressure is high enough, you'll keep your mouth closed because otherwise you'll get this rush of air out your open mouth. There are full head chin straps but I found the one they suggested uncomfortable. Since all I needed was a gentle reminder, I picked up a sweat band and use that. It's cotton, so it breaths and doesn't irritate.

Stick with it. An alert rested lawyer could do wonders.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2012, 09:58 AM)oldteddybear Wrote: I am just testing an F&P Pilairo and it is the most stable pillows that I have tried yet. I have a review in the reviews section if you want to read more.

Hey man. Thanks for the response. I think I actually tried that one on last time and I really liked it. That might be the one I go with

(09-01-2012, 12:59 PM)Sleepster Wrote: There are so many to choose from, and it's such a personal choice. The first thing I look at is the hose routing. I like to route my hose up towards my forehead where it attaches to a strap, and then up and over the headboard. Right now I'm using the ComfortLite 2 and it works quite well. In November I'm due for a new mask and will try either the Swift FX or the Pilairo. Haven't decided yet. I also used the Opus before and liked that one, too.

You really have to try different masks because what works well for one person may not work well for another. Sleeping position and pillow position affect the noise a mask makes. Noise comes fom the exhaust port and from leaks, bothers some people but not others. It's a real trial-and-error process to find the right mask.

I had the swift fx and I liked it quite a lot, except that it sometimes felt like my airways were being clogged (probably because of my deviated septum). I am wondering if it's best just to go back to this one because i had a good experience.

(09-03-2012, 08:45 PM)bobbd Wrote: I'm quite new at this myself. I was very lucky to find a sleep therapist who was willing to try different masks and also to look at the data and try a different prescription. Like any other medical issue, you need someone you can trust and talk to. You may not be able to switch doctors easily, but if you don't like the supplier/technician you first went to, go elsewhere. Some sleep centres will give you 30 day trials.

I was prescribed a full face mask but after 2 weeks the numbers were so good that she suggested trying nasal pillows. It's taken 3 masks but I've settled on the Opus 360. The pillows fit me very comfortably and I like running the hose over my head. This will only work if you don't thrash in bed. All I do is turn side to back to side.

As for the chin strap, if you're a mouth breather, you'll have more trouble with nasal pillows. However, if the air pressure is high enough, you'll keep your mouth closed because otherwise you'll get this rush of air out your open mouth. There are full head chin straps but I found the one they suggested uncomfortable. Since all I needed was a gentle reminder, I picked up a sweat band and use that. It's cotton, so it breaths and doesn't irritate.

Stick with it. An alert rested lawyer could do wonders.

Excellent info man. Thank you!

I definitely want to be a rested lawyer, because an unrested lawyer just spells all kinds of danger...

I'm going to see if any online retailers offer 30 day trials of their masks Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Nemutai, If you pay a little extra, some suppliers have a 30-day return for any reason policy. Check out the supplier list here on the board. Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What the hell is waking me up ? meloveg 2 591 03-31-2023, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Psychotech
  [Symptoms] I'm scared. Am I at risk of death? Or is my pulse oximeter acting up? 444stranger444 5 834 08-04-2022, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Complex Apnea Diagnosis--VERY SCARED ColdHands 11 1,298 10-22-2021, 06:50 PM
Last Post: readingteacher
Sad My life has become living hell [nose blockage] arc0509 62 10,536 07-01-2021, 01:39 AM
Last Post: arc0509
  Just got diagnosed, a bit scared, how bad is it? SufiMindtricks 14 1,584 01-06-2021, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Newly Diagnosed Scared and Depressed flcpap17 6 968 10-27-2020, 01:50 AM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  [CPAP] The first week from hell moe from Canada 10 2,313 10-01-2020, 01:13 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.