Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Off topic
Off topic
I just want to thank the staff here for making this board  a safe place. I joined a different cpap forum and have gotten very little help and much bullying. This should not be so. After all we are here to make our lives better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Off topic
The main "other" forum is cpap-talk, and both Apnea Board and cpap-talk have many talented and knowledgeable people who help others.  Each one has it's own "flavor" and atmosphere;  cpap-talk seems like it's lacking in the area of active moderation, while Apnea Board has active moderation.  It's two different philosophies of running forums - some people like the "wild, wild west" of cpap-talk;  others like the more civil tone over here.  Either way, there's a choice, which is good, IMHO.

Some have stated that we here favor "civility over accuracy", but I beg to differ.  We want information to be accurate, but we also encourage members to be relatively civil when they post.  If someone posts incorrect information, the proper way to correct them is not to call them all sorts of names, but rather post a reply that calmly corrects the errors (without resorting to juvenile antics or bullying).  It is possible to have both accuracy and civility, and that's what Apnea Board strives to maintain.

That said, personally, if I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose accuracy over civility (I bristle at our modern society's constant "political correctness").  Sometimes I feel like going off one someone, and calling them a jerk or an idiot.  Many times I've typed up a scathing reply, but later decided to not post it (after I've calmed down a bit)...   Bigwink

But running a forum like this necessitates a few rules and if you don't enforce those rules, you might as well not have them at all.

For those who are adults, there should be no need to choose civility or accuracy.  It's a false choice.  We can have both, and those who think we can't are generally people who have "personal interaction issues" already, lacking self-control-- and when they come to a semi-anonymous Internet forum, such folk are much more bold than they would ever be in a one-on-one conversation.

I think Apnea Board has a pretty good mix.  We're always open to improvements, however.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for both comments.

I was on the other forum for a long time. I think I had been compliant for about 25 years then. However, I knew nothing about cpap and treatment, and had been dealing with a sleep doc that shouldn't talk to people that are awake...

When I showed my lack of knowledge in posts I was ridiculed by a few participants.

I searched for information that would help me become more knowledgeable. I found it here.

As a result I know a lot more, and I finally feel that I'm managing my OSA therapy. For what it's worth I have severe sleep apnea, and that was diagnosed about 30? years ago.
DaveL
Compliant for 30+ years

Information on Apnea Board Forums or on apneaboard.com should not be considered as medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Information posted on the apnea board web site and forums are personal opinion only and not necessarily a statement of fact.  Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I got lucky. This forum was the 1st one I happened upon when I went looking. It's been a goldmine worth of information and experience from those who have been at it for a good while. 

Being new to SA treatment, I knew nothing about it. This forum never once made me feel like a fool for asking some very basic questions. I doubt that I will ever rise to the level of some on here when it comes to advising others, but I will chime in when I feel like I have something relevant to offer. 

All in all, it's nice to be able to communicate with others who are also seeking knowledge and experience from those who have been there and done that.  like
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
My wife has been in Nader therapy for a good 20 years, this is my first run at it, started in December last year. I'm not getting what I need, my AHI numbers vary from upper single digits to upper teens. Going in the 20th to the sleep clinic. My pressure is set from 8-12. I need higher I think. Feel free to move this response to a new thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
The above should read apnea therapy. I hate auto correct, it can go to he'll lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2019, 03:24 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I got lucky. This forum was the 1st one I happened upon when I went looking. It's been a goldmine worth of information and experience from those who have been at it for a good while. 

Being new to SA treatment, I knew nothing about it. This forum never once made me feel like a fool for asking some very basic questions. I doubt that I will ever rise to the level of some on here when it comes to advising others, but I will chime in when I feel like I have something relevant to offer. 

All in all, it's nice to be able to communicate with others who are also seeking knowledge and experience from those who have been there and done that.  like

What he said.... I 100% concur.  

Gotta add...This place  would not be as fine as it is without the great moderation and control by Mr. SuperSleeper, and Miss Opal Rose....And those they have have chosen to help. 

Thanks so much for all that you do to keep this wonderful board in good order.  We are truly blessed!

FLc
If It Weren't For 'Flashbacks', I'd Have No Memory At All
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(05-07-2019, 05:12 PM)Lee Rilea Wrote: My wife has been in Nader therapy for a good 20 years, this is my first run at it, started in December last year. I'm not getting what I need, my AHI numbers vary from upper single digits to upper teens. Going in the 20th to the sleep clinic. My pressure is set from 8-12. I need higher I think. Feel free to move this response to a new thread.

That was my experience in the bad old days. (They lasted almost 20 years for me.)

things changed when I networked.  I talked to everyone I knew used cpap. I asked them, Do you have a good sleep doc? Do you have a good equipment supplier?

I changed equipment suppliers first. I travel 2 cities away to get good care. I've never bought a machine from them; however, I've bought about 10 masks.
They give me loaners when I ask. They take back masks I've bought and paid for and exchange them for a brand new mask. In fact that just happened to me.

When I have trouble with numbers and scores I almost always solve it by changing masks and buying a new mask. The exception has been mouth-breathing. I solved that by reading here after getting comments about SleepyHead reports I posted pics of.

There are wonderful people here that will help you. 

Take care.
DaveL
Compliant for 30+ years

Information on Apnea Board Forums or on apneaboard.com should not be considered as medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Information posted on the apnea board web site and forums are personal opinion only and not necessarily a statement of fact.  Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
this is a great place
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Doc Converted to "Concierge" Medicine (slightly off topic) ronlecroy 9 957 07-23-2019, 04:36 PM
Last Post: importantbrian
Gross I'm tired (How's that for off topic?) Ugly 4 2,043 09-16-2015, 03:31 AM
Last Post: YTN3rd
  I am Back (Moved to Off-Topic Forum) Schnauzers 5 1 1,703 11-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Cool I'm back (Moved to Off-Topic Forum) Moe 5 2,977 05-18-2012, 01:40 AM
Last Post: Dreamcatcher
Cool [Literature] The Sleep Filter (Moved to Off-Topic Forum) Dreamcatcher 4 2,699 05-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Cutter
Information [Admin Note] What is allowed in the Off-Topic Forum [PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE] SuperSleeper 0 15,295 02-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.