Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Oh I hate Windows 7
So, I stuck my 8GB camera SD card into my SD card reader. Windows 7 chewed on it for about 3 minutes, then the whole system went "Not Responding"

I tried shutting down processes...

I had to force shutdown with the power button. I had to reformat the SD card in the camera.

With XP, I just used a cable to get images off my camera; and it gave me an opportunity to name the files (and it would append a number).

So, now I'm wondering if I need to run CHKDSK /F.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-27-2014 01:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

RE: Oh I hate Windows 7
Well, if you're not yet in love with W7, I'm pretty sure you should not try W8!!!!

Anyhow, it sounds like it had trouble setting up the card. Try it again and see if the card shows up in "My Computer," or on explorer or whatever.

You probably don't need to do a check disk because if W7 thought that would be a good idea it would have already done it.

I think the card maybe just wasn't seated quite to suit it?

(05-27-2014 01:32 PM)justMongo Wrote:  So, I stuck my 8GB camera SD card into my SD card reader. Windows 7 chewed on it for about 3 minutes, then the whole system went "Not Responding"

I tried shutting down processes...

I had to force shutdown with the power button. I had to reformat the SD card in the camera.

With XP, I just used a cable to get images off my camera; and it gave me an opportunity to name the files (and it would append a number).

So, now I'm wondering if I need to run CHKDSK /F.
05-27-2014 02:06 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)

(05-27-2014 02:06 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  Well, if you're not yet in love with W7, I'm pretty sure you should not try W8!!!!

Anyhow, it sounds like it had trouble setting up the card. Try it again and see if the card shows up in "My Computer," or on explorer or whatever.

You probably don't need to do a check disk because if W7 thought that would be a good idea it would have already done it.

I think I fumbled the card on insertion. I expected it to go in to nearly flush like the reader on my 1525 laptop. I think I didn't get it latched; and it came out after some operation had begun.

I still don't like that when I directly connect my camera, it recognizes it, but does not bring up a "scanner -- camera" wizard like XP did.

I would not touch windows 8/8.1 with a 10 foot grounding rod. Too highly integrated with their OneDrive.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2014 02:38 PM by justMongo.)
05-27-2014 02:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
CPAP Pressure: 11-16

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Win7 is a pretty good OS, but fumbling the card should never cause a problem like that and certainly no excuse for a lock up.

And yes, you probably wont like 8.1 but it isn't THAT bad either.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
05-27-2014 02:45 PM
becker44a Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus Lg
CPAP Pressure: Rx 10 - 20cm, Usually 10-14cm

Other Comments:

(05-27-2014 02:06 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  Well, if you're not yet in love with W7, I'm pretty sure you should not try W8!!!!

(05-27-2014 02:38 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I would not touch windows 8/8.1 with a 10 foot grounding rod. Too highly integrated with their OneDrive.

Hi Mongo,
I would do the chkdsk /F anyhow. No recent Windows can check the C: partition automatically - too many Windows tasks are active for it to lock the partition in order to do the chkdsk. Open a Command Prompt window, and type "chkdsk C: /F". Windows will say that it can't lock the partition, ask if you want to do this on next boot. Respond Yes, then reboot. It will do the chkdsk during bootup. The stupid part: if it finds and corrects any errors, it won't wait for you to read the messages. You have to open the Event Viewer after the reboot is completed, and look for output from chkdsk there.

Regarding Windows 8.x, Microsoft published some years ago that they wanted to be "Out of the OS business by 2008", so they are a little behind schedule. But this is where they have been heading for a long time. If you aren't happy with the new scenario, I would start working with Linux, because I don't know of any other player that isn't committed to the "Cloud Computing" scheme. Apple may be on the fence, as OSX is built on a Linux kernel, but they are borderline at best.

The problem: too many software publishers don't see that MS is getting ready to pull the rug from beneath their feet, and they aren't preparing.

Good Luck,
A.Becker
05-27-2014 03:56 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)

(05-27-2014 03:56 PM)becker44a Wrote:  Hi Mongo,
I would do the chkdsk /F anyhow. No recent Windows can check the C: partition automatically - too many Windows tasks are active for it to lock the partition in order to do the chkdsk. Open a Command Prompt window, and type "chkdsk C: /F". Windows will say that it can't lock the partition, ask if you want to do this on next boot. Respond Yes, then reboot. It will do the chkdsk during bootup. The stupid part: if it finds and corrects any errors, it won't wait for you to read the messages. You have to open the Event Viewer after the reboot is completed, and look for output from chkdsk there.

Regarding Windows 8.x, Microsoft published some years ago that they wanted to be "Out of the OS business by 2008", so they are a little behind schedule. But this is where they have been heading for a long time. If you aren't happy with the new scenario, I would start working with Linux, because I don't know of any other player that isn't committed to the "Cloud Computing" scheme. Apple may be on the fence, as OSX is built on a Linux kernel, but they are borderline at best.

The problem: too many software publishers don't see that MS is getting ready to pull the rug from beneath their feet, and they aren't preparing.

Good Luck,
A.Becker

Running chkdsk changed form XP too. Now even though I have Admin privileges, I have to tell it to run the command window as an Administrator; else chkdsk cannot be run.

Back in the 1980s, the PC had two uses: Lotus 123 spreadsheet; and perhaps a word processor. Ashton-Tate MultiMate comes to mind.

For serious computing we had dumb terminals that connected to a VAX.

I see our "computers" again becoming dumb terminals -- with applications and data resident on a big server farm (aka, "the cloud.) Then we will pay a monthly extortion fee to access it.

This will work out well for classified work! They'll have to go off-grid and back to a VAX like system.

In my work, we had a saying: "There's never enough money to do it right the first time; but, there is always enough money to do it over."

The internet develops, flourishes; and then corporate greed and government intervention change it into a useless cash cow.

05-28-2014 07:25 AM
glfredrick Offline

Preferred Members

Mask Make & Model: Quatro Mirage
CPAP Pressure: 14-18 auto
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Bi-vocational Pastor

Win 7 is a very robust operating system that will do all that XP could do and more. Blaming a single incident on a failed card read, then wanting to go through all the formatting, etc., just because you had to power down is overkill to the max. Just start it back up and insert the card correctly.

I've used ever version of Windows since before there was Windows (and before there was DOS). Every time a new version comes along I hear precisely the same thing... "D%&$ Microsoft, why did they have to go and change a sure thing?" Note that I said, "Every time." That's right... By the time the next OS comes out, people have fallen in love with the new system and cannot even fathom using the old clunky OS that it replaced. Along the way, there have been a few bad apples (pun intended) in the mix such as ME or Vista. They were breaking new ground and had to make many compromises to dovetail with and install over the earlier OS, so that is not the complete fault of Microsoft, but they generally corrected with better. Win 7 may be the best of the bunch. I've had far fewer crashes and more ease of running with it than with any former system. Win 8 is another compromise, but 8.1 patches most of the issues. It is designed for tablets, which may be a problem as it is not as friendly to keyboard as it is to touch, but it STILL has the uber-robust OS under the pretty pictures on the screen.

Want to be worried? What about Google and their effort to key log EVERY keystroke by ever computer user in the world simply so they can make money off of advertisement (or sales to the government NSA, as the case may be).

Cloud is the future... Just the way it goes. Don't go there if you don't like it. I do and I don't... I like having my files everywhere, but I also like knowing that they are home where I can decide what to do with them, or prevent someone else from locking me out of my own stuff. I have a vast theological library of 3500+ electronic volumes that I would love to get on the cloud so I could access that everywhere, but so far that is beyond my scope. Soon, I hope!
05-28-2014 11:48 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Justmongo,

I just upgraded my Win 8.1 laptop to Win 7 Professional. It now runs a lot faster and with less not respondings/appearance of doing nothing or waiting. The hardest part was finding the drivers for some of the hardware as I was working with an OEM copy of 7. The wireless function is must improved and the only software I had to change was my anti-virus. Still have some of the odds and ends software to reload, but I will do that later as I find the need for them.

When I tried wiping and reloading Win 8.1 my system I had to put in 430 security updates for a one year old install. Add another 150 for various downloaded office products. My Win 7 had 150 security updates and 25 for office. What is wrong with picture - oh, that's right, it is Microsoft. I will take my Mac any day. The only reason for the Windoze machine is I needed it for work.
05-28-2014 03:47 PM
djjwilly Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Elite S9
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed AirFit P10 and chinstrap
Humidifier: Resmed Elite H 5i
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
It takes time to readjust to Windows 7 after using XP, which worked like a dream. 7 is ok, too, but the change is traumatic. I use cccleaner to keep my system running like a top. A computer tech told me about it. It scans everything and removes all junk in a matter of minutes. The nice thing is that it's free. It's basically the only thing I use to keep things under control. I rarely even use defrag. I don't need to. I highly recommend this program. If you do try to download it, be aware there is a free version and a purchasable one. The free one works fine and remember too it needs to be updated periodically. Smooth computer sailing to you.
06-23-2014 10:46 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 219 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 769 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 436 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,098 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 378 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Windows 10 AlanE 103 10,023 11-17-2015 12:12 PM
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,798 09-16-2015 10:46 AM