Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oh, Mr Red Frowny Face you frustrate me!
RE: Oh, Mr Red Frowny Face you frustrate me!
(05-03-2016, 08:31 PM)OpalRose Wrote: zonk is correct, if you have the AirSense 10 CPAP as stated in your profile, then it is not a fully data capable machine.
I have to wonder with a pressure of 15, why you were not given an Auto CPAP.

This is a good question, that I've posed to the board before and gotten some good advice, I need to follow up on. My sleep study report said "CPAP recommended" and the pressure setting as 15. When I asked my GP (regular doc) to prescribe an Auto she did but didn't know what pressure range to put on and the DME wouldn't give me an Auto without a pressure range. They also told me that "most people only use an Auto for a month to find a good range, not long term." They also said that they didn't want to trade in a used CPAP for a new Auto. So I'm going to ask my Doc to prescribe the default setting of 4-20 and see if that gets me an auto and I'll keep at it. But I still need to address the leaks. I'm going back to the full face mask tonight to see if that helps. It's just less comfortable.
------------
Allynpsych --- Psychology Professor, wife, and mother of a 4-yr old... in need of a good night's sleep. Dreaming
Post Reply Post Reply
Allynpsych, are you using EPR on that CPAP?

A pressure setting of 15 may be sufficient to prescribe bilevel. Exhale relief pressure provides some relief, but it's not bilevel. A wide open setting on an auto CPAP will not produce ideal result in someone with high pressure needs. You need to bracket the pressure needs indicated by the sleep study titration to account for changes in sleep position and stage and other factors. With a CPAP pressure of 15, you'd be more comfortable with a variable pressure range of 12-16 cmH2O, with EPR (up to 3 cm).

Most important is, what does the data show so far? Oh, that's right there isn't any. No feedback for the doctor. Talk to your doctor about the importance of that for both of you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2016, 09:17 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Allynpsych, are you using EPR on that CPAP?

A pressure setting of 15 may be sufficient to prescribe bilevel. Exhale relief pressure provides some relief, but it's not bilevel. A wide open setting on an auto CPAP will not produce ideal result in someone with high pressure needs. You need to bracket the pressure needs indicated by the sleep study titration to account for changes in sleep position and stage and other factors. With a CPAP pressure of 15, you'd be more comfortable with a variable pressure range of 12-16 cmH2O, with EPR (up to 3 cm).

Most important is, what does the data show so far? Oh, that's right there isn't any. No feedback for the doctor. Talk to your doctor about the importance of that for both of you.

Yes, I "broke into" the clinical menu and set the EPR at 2 (I believe, I'm not at home at the moment) and I no longer feel like I'm struggling to breath out.

Last night I went back to the face mask and after some fussing, fell asleep... as soon as the 40 min ramp up to 15 was done, I had an hour of sleep disruptions caused by my burping mask that seems to float around on my face. I finally took it off, reconnected my nasal mask and makeshift chin strap and had a lovely 6 hours of sleep with less than 20L/min and .08 events per hour... go figure.

------------
Allynpsych --- Psychology Professor, wife, and mother of a 4-yr old... in need of a good night's sleep. Dreaming
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2016, 07:01 AM)allynpsych Wrote: Yes, I "broke into" the clinical menu and set the EPR at 2 (I believe, I'm not at home at the moment) and I no longer feel like I'm struggling to breath out.

Last night I went back to the face mask and after some fussing, fell asleep... as soon as the 40 min ramp up to 15 was done, I had an hour of sleep disruptions caused by my burping mask that seems to float around on my face.
Sounds like you may be fitting the mask at low pressure and then the seal doesn't hold once the pressure ramps up to what's needed to prop your airway open.

Is there a way of fitting the mask at the full 15cm and then starting the ramp period? That's possible on my PR System One, but I don't know enough about how the ramp works on the S9s.

Quote:I finally took it off, reconnected my nasal mask and makeshift chin strap and had a lovely 6 hours of sleep with less than 20L/min and .08 events per hour... go figure.
Sounds like you figured out a workable solution. Next time try doing this at the beginning of the night instead of the end?

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
happens to me, and I am wearing a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since this thread hasn't been active for almost 7 years, you may wish to read this Wiki on mask fitting techniques.

Wiki - Mask Primer:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

I hope it may help.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 394 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 264 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
  Full face mask tightness pushing jaw back and leaks wickedsleepy 11 744 02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.