Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oh, Mr Red Frowny Face you frustrate me!
Angry 
Oh, Mr Red Frowny Face you frustrate me!
I'm adjusting to therapy finally! I am now regularly wearing my mask for 4 - 6 hours every night (got 2 Silver Badges from MyAir for it, as silly as it sounds that little token of positive reinforcement did actually make me happy). However, for the past week and a half I'm plagued with Mr. Red Frowny Face for leaks nearly every morning! Admittedly, I'm using a headband as a chins trap, but the ones you can buy look like bondage gear and I'm not ready for my sleep therapy to move in that direction yet!

My husband reports that a couple times during the night my machine ramps up like a jet engine, much louder then when it's at full pressure. Then I snort a bit or roll over and it goes back down to the normal quiet breathy noise. I have a single pressure machine, so the only reason I can think of is that it's compensating for a leak??

It's particularly frustrating because the past few mornings I've been waking up feeling better, no dry mouth or dry tongue, no headache, feeling more rested than before I had the machine. I know I do have some mouth leaks because sometimes they wake me up, and some mask leaks because usually that's what wakes me up around 3am.. usually I can re-seat it, roll over and go back to sleep.

I have to download the latest SH data this weekend, but I've done all the steps to reduce leaks, (clean face and mask, sticky chapsitck, chin strap - of sorts - mask not too tight) and I'm still getting our little cranky red friend on the report in the morning.

TL;DR... grumbling about leaks.
------------
Allynpsych --- Psychology Professor, wife, and mother of a 4-yr old... in need of a good night's sleep. Dreaming
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oh, Mr Red Frowny Face you frustrate me!
(05-03-2016, 11:14 AM)allynpsych Wrote: for the past week and a half I'm plagued with Mr. Red Frowny Face for leaks nearly every morning!
My husband reports that a couple times during the night my machine ramps up like a jet engine, much louder then when it's at full pressure. Then I snort a bit or roll over and it goes back down to the normal quiet breathy noise. I have a single pressure machine, so the only reason I can think of is that it's compensating for a leak??
You've identified the reason the machine's blower is ramping up correctly: In the presence of a leak, the machine pumps more air into the system in an effort to maintain the correct pressure. If the machine's blower is ramping all the up to the point where it sounds like a jet engine, you've most likely got a very large leak.

Perhaps you are mouth breathing. Ask hubby to try to determine whether there's a lot of air coming out of your mouth. Or perhaps the mask is ajar on your face and the air is leaking out the sides. Or both.

But what seems to happen is that you wind up noticing the leak just enough to roll over or whatever, and that minor movement fixes the leak, most likely by encouraging you to shut your mouth.

Quote:It's particularly frustrating because the past few mornings I've been waking up feeling better, no dry mouth or dry tongue, no headache, feeling more rested than before I had the machine. I know I do have some mouth leaks because sometimes they wake me up, and some mask leaks because usually that's what wakes me up around 3am.. usually I can re-seat it, roll over and go back to sleep.
So mouth breathing is an issue. If you're not ready for a chin strap, you could try taping. Or you could try using a soft cerivical collar instead of a chin strap. Or you could try using a full face mask.

Quote:I have to download the latest SH data this weekend, but I've done all the steps to reduce leaks, (clean face and mask, sticky chapsitck, chin strap - of sorts - mask not too tight) and I'm still getting our little cranky red friend on the report in the morning.
The thing is that the clean face and mask, sticky chapstick, and mask not too tight tricks do NOT address a mouth that opens up wide enough to cause serious leaking.

And your homemade chinstrap is not preventing you from mouth breathing. And it does sound like your problem is indeed mouth breathing.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you already know what the issue is - massive mouth leak. I'm afraid there are only 2 solutions to that: 1) Learn how not to mouth-breathe, or 2) Move to a full-face mask.

I rarely have this problem, which I'm grateful for, however the few times I've woken up with my mouth open and the "jet engine" air effect blowing out of my mind, I get in the half-stomach half-side sleeping position I call "the mountainclimber" and bury my chin in my pillow. The weight on my chin helps me to keep my mouth closed.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mostly I was just whining. I'm trying out some new chin strap ideas before I commit to buying a "real" one. I love the nasal mask otherwise and dislike strongly the ffm. Smile
------------
Allynpsych --- Psychology Professor, wife, and mother of a 4-yr old... in need of a good night's sleep. Dreaming
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ally. Congrats on adjusting to your mask and machine. That's a big step forward. Congrats

What do you use the chapstick for? I haven't heard about that before.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was so frustrated with my P10 (because I really really like it) and mouth breathing I was considering using super glue on my lips... sigh.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2016, 02:30 PM)allynpsych Wrote: Mostly I was just whining. I'm trying out some new chin strap ideas before I commit to buying a "real" one. I love the nasal mask otherwise and dislike strongly the ffm. Smile

I guess it's ok to whine, but that won't fix your leaks. Grin
Have you tried mask liners? Buy a "real" chin strap. I don't know what chap stick will do except keep your lips soft.

I used a chin strap when I first started, but once I mastered the tongue technique,
I didn't need it.

Practice it, it takes time and patience.

Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.
Suck upwards gently. When you do this, the tongue forms a natural seal at back of throat and even if your mouth/jaw were to drop open, no air will come out.

Oh, and one more thing. Mr. Frowny/Happy face is ok to let you know something is right or needs attention, but you should depend more on Sleepyhead leak Stats to guide you.

Good luck, I know you'll get it under control. It's trial and error, and takes time and patience.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2016, 04:20 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: I was so frustrated with my P10 (because I really really like it) and mouth breathing I was considering using super glue on my lips... sigh.

At least that's one way to lose weight...

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2016, 11:14 AM)allynpsych Wrote: My husband reports that a couple times during the night my machine ramps up like a jet engine, much louder then when it's at full pressure. Then I snort a bit or roll over and it goes back down to the normal quiet breathy noise. I have a single pressure machine, so the only reason I can think of is that it's compensating for a leak??
I'm have no idea how a fixed machine compensate for leaks, maybe increase in motor speed. I use an AutoSet, I think extra pressure for leaks would be counter productive and drive leaks to go even higher but haven't looked into this in details
My guess, the source of the "jet engine" noise is from mask leaks, different mask might works better, I would have Mr Red Frowny if have to use single pressure 15 all night long
As for SleepyHead, not 100% sure if works with the machine in profile "ResMed AirSense10 CPAP" as this model is not full data machine like its cousin the "Elite" model. ResScan shows summary data without detailed data but windows only
Post Reply Post Reply
zonk is correct, if you have the AirSense 10 CPAP as stated in your profile, then it is not a fully data capable machine.
I have to wonder with a pressure of 15, why you were not given an Auto CPAP.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 162 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 136 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 661 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 446 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 509 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 653 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 205 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.