PsychoMike Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Varies with mood, ResMed F10 is my primary
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12-17
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: asthma, cyclist upgraditis, just a little crazy (honest :D )

Sex: Male

RE: Oh No!! Now what should I do???
Mongo, I run Ubuntu on my netbook, so I have instructed my wife to tell them that...for some reason, they're not too bright. I was trying not to laugh when my wife put the last call on speaker phone...

Caller: I'm with the Windows repair department. We've received a notification that your Windows operating system has been compromised.

Wife: Uhh...no, I don't think so.

Caller: But I have the notice here on my screen...we're calling to help fix the problem with your Windows. Is you computer on?

Wife: Umm...What do you mean "Windows notified you..." we've got Ubuntu

Caller: No, no, no...your Windows is compromised and I need to fix it for you...

Wife: You mean Ubuntu? We don't have Windows

2nd Caller (the "supervisor"): Uh. ma'am, we need you to go to your computer so we can fix your Windows software...we have been informed it is broken and want to help you fix it.

Wife: But how do you get Windows on Ubuntu? I've never seen it there.

2nd Caller: What do you mean?

Wife: We run Ubuntu.

2nd Caller: But why?

Wife: Because it is open source, free and doesn't get the same number of viruses written for it

2nd Caller: But why?

(Etc. for a couple iterations before they grow tired and hang up)

The best response to this scam was from a friend I have who works in the military. He has several "interesting" programs available to him. When they opened a connection on his "bait" computer (he has an old box set up specifically to deal with this type of thing), he tracked them back, jumped on their system and started playing with their computer. He told me he wished he had recorded the call...sounds like the scammers absolutely panicked when he started changing their settings on them (like turning the language to Chinese, turning all their icons and desktop pink)...nothing overly malicious, but enough to send the message that they picked the wrong person to mess with. His description (and I believe him) had me just about peeing myself.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2014 12:23 PM by PsychoMike.)
05-13-2014 12:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

There is a YouTube video of a guy who lets the scammers play with a bait computer.
They have the user go to a website and download a trial version of some remote access software.
The "mark" in the video foils them at every turn -- they eventually try to delete his NIC driver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDJWixw4TCI

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-13-2014 01:18 PM
CIAustralia Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Swift FX Nano
Humidifier: Hi5
CPAP Pressure: 5-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Hey look...I'm a Hosehead Unicorn

Sex: Female

When they call here, the caller ID shows "overseas", so it's easy to get them off the mark. I found the best way to get rid of them is to say "000, Do you want Police, Fire or Ambulance?"
05-13-2014 05:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board