Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ohio is lost.
RE: Ohio is lost.
I have a friend that lives on the west coast that has just been diagnosed with Covid 19.  His grown children, ages 30+ asked him to leave their names out of the contact tracing.  They don't want their names out there.  
They don't want to be tested.  In my opinion, they are part of the problem.

They are solid Trump supporters and have claimed this pandemic is a hoax started by Democrats.  I'm not sure how they are explaining away their father's condition.

Of course, that Hoax nonsense was started by Trump.  We need a leader, not a divider.

I'm not saying the Democrats have it right either.  There will always be something in either Party that you don't like, but in the end, you just have to vote for who you feel is best for this great country of ours, regardless of political party.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Dreaming

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Mask Primer
Machine Choices
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
We have forum staff members on both sides of this debate, but what I'm asking our staff (and other members here as well) is to not allow political divisions to get in the way of what we do here, or to damage the close working relationships we have spent years building up.  This is why this kind of discussion is here in the Off-Topic Forum, rather than in the other forums.  We have to allow folks the chance to blow off steam, but once you've blown off steam, please don't retain that steam and let it explode over into other areas of Apnea Board.

We can discuss politics here in the Off-Topic Forum of course, and when another member believes differently and challenges our opinions, we can of course defend our positions, but we should also check our own anger at the door when it comes to helping each other and  keeping this place running smoothly.  Just because someone disagrees with you on a particular political issue does not mean they hate your guts, and we should not be holding a grudge against another member forever.

I understand the strong feelings and beliefs on each side, and unfortunately, I think it's only going to get more heated the closer we come to November (and likely afterwards as well).  So let's keep that in mind and give each other a bit of grace and leeway to disagree, without resorting to personal attacks against other forum members.  So far we've been good at that, but the temptation is always there.  Hence, this preemptive request.

In an "anonymous" Internet World where people feel emboldened to lash out with personal vitriol against people whom they've never met, let's have Apnea Board remain as a relatively calm retreat from the trash-talking so common on the web these days.  We should be able to discuss politics (and other subjects) in a way that is logical, calm & reasoned.  That's what our American ancestors did, and yet they came together in time to build the nation, and did their best to avoid resorting to their baser instincts or a "scorched earth" policy.  Even bitter political enemies would come together after the heated arguments, shake hands and begin working together for the greater good.  If they did it, so can we.

Just a word to the wise, I suppose.   oldman
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2020, 05:25 PM)bonjour Wrote: The Trump followers in my neighborhood tell me this entire Covid-19 virus thing is a political hoax put on by the Democrats.

I don't believe that.

The virus is obviously real and has risks that vary depending on your age and other comorbidities.  I'm disappointed that the word "hoax" would be attached to it.  What I do believe is that it must be kept away from vulnerable populations.  That said, we have worn masks in public places and avoided large gatherings and events I would normally like to attend.  We have avoided the virus to this point and only know second-hand of actual infections.  NY, NJ, MD, and PA had very high death rates in nursing homes, but CA, TX, FL and GA have rapidly caught up.  I think people calling it a "hoax" may be looking at the relative (and controllable) risk rates.   It should not be political, but it is, so from that perspective it is indeed a tragic event being used for political purposes to shut down the economy and damage Trump. The virus doesn't care who you are or what your political ideology may be. It infects people that expose themselves in an uncontrolled way to other people, and injurs and kills based on other health issues regardless.

This country has never shut down in the face of a pandemic, but we did for this one. The economic consequences were obvious. Looking across the world, no other country is staying shut down, because they don't have a pending election. So why would people in the U.S. call the infection a "political hoax? Because it is being used to a political end, but not by Trump.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
INDISPUTABLE FACT: The virus that causes COVID-19 is apolitical, but it appears to be discriminatory. Those most at risk are the elderly, the obese, the diabetics, and those with underlying chronic or acute conditions relating to cardiac, pulmonary, renal, and liver issues. 

INDISPUTABLE FACT: It is unknown whether or not self-isolation mitigates the infection or simply delays the infection within the population. It is unknown whether masks protect or exacerbate the problem. It is unknown whether or not a built-up of CO2 within a mask can trigger other medical events in the target audience.

INDISPUTABLE FACT: Our nation's politicians are corrupt enough to use a life-threatening illness for political purposes and to assume unconstitutional powers. Some well-credentialed physicians are little more than politicized administrative bureaucrats that may have a reputation in one area but are not reliable sources of information in others.

INDISPUTABLE FACT:  Science has been corrupted by those funding sources, institutions, and individuals seeking self-serving advantage. Many dueling scientific papers are inconclusive due to non-standardized methodologies and the inability to correctly account for co-morbidities within the sample.

INDISPUTABLE FACT: Peer review is a publishing process meant to weed-out inappropriate papers, correct obvious mistakes, and ensure clarity. The reviewers do not replicate, corroborate, or nullify the author's findings and conclusions. Papers do not have to be "peer-reviewed" to present valid information. 

INDISPUTABLE FACT:  Since the arrow of time only points forward, we need to do the best we can do, with the resources at our disposal and stop believing that any medical condition can be solved or mitigated by politicians who simply parrot the fashionable, or in some cases, unfashionable, science of the day. 

INDISPUTABLE FACT: Many in the mainstream media refuse to display comparitive statistics like flu deaths stratified by age and co-morbidity. Or fail to note that correlation is not causation and the more tests, the more cases will be discovered --- meaningless in and of itself, unless you consider the greater the number of cases, the lower the percentage of disease-caused deaths.

Any disagreement?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
My opinion is that a virus exists and causes illness and can cause death especially in the elderly. Then the illness made people get sick and because that happened during an election year with a Republican President named Donald Trump, this illness needed to be politicized. This President is hated by Liberals and has endured unfounded political attacks even before he was elected, so why stop attacking him now. The illness and death of people that was politicized was an attack tool to instill and increase fear in Americans about getting sick and dying. After all, politicians that don't like the President have to remove and replace. We can call that year 2020.

I further put forth that in a non-election year, we would have had the flu, pneumonia, bronchitis etc. that people would get sick and some might have died, especially the elderly. In that non-election year, we didn't need to social distance because we were told to by the Governors. We would not have had to shut the economy down due to requirements to stay home so that others won't get sick. And we'd not be made to wear masks to help others not get sick. We can call that year 2019.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Down Fred, don't start!
Fred Bonjour - Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter 
OSCAR

Download OSCAR
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Soft Cervical Collar
Mask Primer
Dealing with a DME
Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Post Reply Post Reply
Lolabove Fred's talking to himself!
OpalRose
www.ApneaBoard.com
Dreaming

OSCAR Chart Organization
Mask Primer
Machine Choices
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Don't egg me on Opal, it will not be pretty.
Fred Bonjour - Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter 
OSCAR

Download OSCAR
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Soft Cervical Collar
Mask Primer
Dealing with a DME
Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Post Reply Post Reply
Walk away from the keyboard... Too-funny

I told myself I wasn't coming back to this thread under any circumstances... Myself didn't listen...
OpalRose
www.ApneaBoard.com
Dreaming

OSCAR Chart Organization
Mask Primer
Machine Choices
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a neighbor who has a sign saying "Could I please vote for a responsible adult?" It reflects my feeling. I didn't like the alternatives 4 years ago and I don't like them today.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Lost ten Pounds Schnauzers 5 13 4,920 01-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5
Sad SERVER ISSUE: FORUM LOST ONE DAY's POSTS... please read. SuperSleeper 33 11,502 07-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.