Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ok, growing so tired of CPAP! Advice??
Ok, growing so tired of CPAP! Advice??
Howdy. I haven't posted in a while. I have been using CPA for about 5 years or so. For the last few years I've been using a Dreamstation (auto) with Airfit F20 mast the last year or so. I'm a die-hard user. Every night. I have my settings down pretty well. But it seems the longer I use it, the harder it becomes. I've gotten to where I dread going to sleep. I take Sonata to help me sleep, and literally fight it until I can't keep my eyes open anymore. Then I finally turn the mask on and go to sleep. I wake up 4 or 5 times every night for various reasons. Sometimes because of mask leakage blowing on my eye or something (I roll around a lot). Or the air from the mask will blow on my arm, or something stupid like that. More times than not it's because I'll get a little itch on my nose or cheek (yes I use the humidifier). And while I know I'm getting good treatment, I still wake exhausted and take Modafinil to help me wake up and get to work. The snoring used to bother my wife, but honestly the CPAP bothers her almost as much. So now i usually sleep in another room. I don't know what to do at this point. I can't stop using it. I can't rest with it. I've looked online for other alternatives but no one has any firm advice one way or the other. I do need to make another apt with my doctor, but she'll advise I stick with it or try a new mask. (FYI - I've tried a dozen masks of all types. In fact, this F20 is my favorite so far). So what else is there at this point? Is the Inspire therapy worth looking into? SnoreRX type devices? I have moderate apnea, by the way (23). 

Thanks. Sorry to rant and whine. I'm just frustrated and hoping for some advice. I'm sure many here have similar stories.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ok, growing so tired of CPAP! Advice??
Try going the Inspire2 route. Also from what you're describing, you're far from good treatment. Theres more to sleep then just AHI.

Taking Modafinil and not getting good sleep is a vicious cycle. Do you really need it?
Post Reply Post Reply
OP, do you have any Sleepyhead graphs? If you’re exhausted despite using your PAP, then maybe settings need to be changed. Why don’t you upload some Sleepyhead data?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll ditto Coffee Man, let's see the data via Sleepyhead. Setting gurus will enter stage right and suggest pressure edits to try and get this therapy optimized to YOU. I can't see therapy becoming worse doing this. IMO it's worth a shot to make it better. It may not be enough though in your case, as we each are different in our therapy needs.

Any other medical reasons that that you'd have could contribute to your negative results with your CPAP therapy BTW.

As for other pathways for conquering your issues, I cannot comment, as I just am not familiar enough with those techniques or results to offer anything useful.

Best wishes to gain some victory over this situation. And keep us posted on how it's going. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lets see some charts.
Have you tried a nasal pillow mask? I have been successful for 8 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's my screen from last night. I see a spike in pressure just before I got up. Interesting because at that point it had already woken me and I was tossing and turning trying to go back to sleep, until I finally just turned it off and got up. As for the Modafinil, yes it is a must for me these days. I also am a shift worker (5-5 am or pm). Although I used to not need it, my doctor told me to try it a year or so ago and it's made a huge difference in my daily performance. I can skip it, but when i do I am noticeable sluggish throughout the day. 

Any settings suggestions based on the graph? 

Thank y'all, by the way! I refuse to just give up treatment. Dealing with the CPAP sucks, but I'm well aware of how it turns out by NOT using it. So I'm open to changing settings, if needed. I am still going to look into alternative treatments. But in the meantime I will not be turning my CPAP off.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2018, 08:31 AM)tedvpap Wrote: Lets see some charts.
Have you tried a nasal pillow mask?  I have been successful for 8 years.

I did (twice, actually) and I just couldn't keep from opening my mouth during sleep. My wife said it sounded like a 747 laying next to her. Lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried a higher pressure before?

If you want to go to min 8 for a few days and see how you feel after a couple of days, it won't hurt you. Your 95% and your max pressure and max setting are at 12. So, according to your statistics, you are at your max setting 95% of the time. If you don't have a history of central apnea at higher pressure, and you can tolerate higher pressure without leaks, bump max pressure to 13 for a few days. If you decide to bump pressure, id like to see another chart of the first night while using higher pressure to be assured that central apnea is not pressure induced.

Best wishes Smile
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2018, 10:41 AM)Harlon Wrote:
(06-16-2018, 08:31 AM)tedvpap Wrote: Lets see some charts.
Have you tried a nasal pillow mask?  I have been successful for 8 years.

I did (twice, actually) and I just couldn't keep from opening my mouth during sleep. My wife said it sounded like a 747 laying next to her. Lol.
That is why I use the Ultimate Chin Strap. I love using pillow masks.

Regarding your treatment, I suggest increasing your minimum pressure.  Keeping the pressure closer to where the need is seems to help most people.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to reduce your maximum pressure to 10cm and see if that helps you stay asleep. It looks like you have flow limitations that are causing pressures to run away. A sudden increase in pressure like that will wake up most anyone.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 4 205 23 minutes ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 32 30 minutes ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,806 58 minutes ago
Last Post: akarifur
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 63 7 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 300 8 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 177 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 869 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.