Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ok or really bad?
Ok or really bad?
This is a cluster of obstructive apneas and hypopneas when sleeping in the supine position. Otherwise, my AHI was nearly zero. But my SpO2 even during these aweful OAs was very high and consistent. No significant SpO2 drops. Should I worry? I'm trying to hypnotize myself to stop sleeping on my back occasionally. I suspect if the SpO2 does not go drop significantly, me, and my ASV, are OK!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ok or really bad?
I've been without any therapy for a while, not voluntarily, saying that because I'll need to rely on memory. An AHI of 9.x would possibly not result in a well rested feeling with me. However I didn't deal a lot with positional apnea at this level.

So, ok let's get to the easiest method I can think of to determine if therapy is working, are you well rested? If you're rested enough to have this as acceptable, then run with it as is. If it's not acceptable, then adjust, examine, change something, or otherwise actively working to make it better.

My bad back forces me to side sleep lots. So if you want to try staying off your back, what I do is have a big body pillow wall behind me placed against the actual wall to angle onto, from vertical then turning onto the pillows. I'm single and nobody but me is in my bed, so my method works for me. For you maybe it can help, maybe not.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are having some of positional apnea.  You can see positional apnea where either H or Oa events are clustered together.  There are not a huge amount but getting rid of as many as you can will lower your AHI.

Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes.  You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway.  Have you changed your sleep position?  Sleeping on your back?  Using more (or new) pillows?  These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway.  Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar.  I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page.  It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar.  There is a huge difference between the two.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
 These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway.  Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

What you've written here may just be a Godsend for me. I'm brand new to the forum, and I just recently had a home sleep study. The tech gave me a preliminary report, and I'll get a full report after the doctor reads my test.

The tech said, "It looks like if you could just stay off your back, you wouldn't have much of a problem." 

I knew being in the supine position would be the biggest problem for me.

Do these collars theoretically help someone on their back keep their airway open?

I know that I have awakened before...on my side....with my head dipped forward and my chin almost on my chest. I wondered what in the world I was doing that for!
Post Reply Post Reply
If it is a good fitting collar is should help in all positions. The most important is the distance between you chin and your sternum. the other is of course you can get it around your neck confortable. Check that your chin can not slip past the collar
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MissDonna! - Welcome

Chin tucking is just one aspect. The supine position induces another problem, gravity. When you relax while sleeping, gravity will cause your throat muscles to fall to the back of your throat and close off your airway. (Simple answer). If is recommended to sleep on your side.

Good luck on your test results!
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks for the information Stacey.  Wave
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.