Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Sex: Male

Ohmy Old Guys & New Tricks
I learned this morning that some cycling innovations should be left to the young. After riding bicycles for about 60 years with only one fracture (which occurred about 20 years ago) I decided to try shoe cleats and SPD pedals. I followed the instructions carefully, learning how snap the shoes into the pedals and how to twist them out.

What I didn't learn was how to train my brain force my ankles outward when you come to unexpected stop! Oops The result was a slow motion (at least from my perspective) fall to the park's roadbed. The crash reopened a wound on my left leg, scraped the skin from just below my knee, and has done something to my left elbow, which absorbed most of the fall. I doubt my elbow is broke, but it and my left forearm are slowly going numb.

Guess I better get to the ER and find out what I've "accomplished" this time. Nervous

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-01-2012 11:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Dreamcatcher Offline

Members-b

Machine: Resmed Autoset Spirit II with Quattro F/F & FX Masks
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: H4i
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

RE: Old Guys & New Tricks
(07-01-2012 11:22 AM)bobg1946 Wrote:  I learned this morning that some cycling innovations should be left to the young. After riding bicycles for about 60 years with only one fracture (which occurred about 20 years ago) I decided to try shoe cleats and SPD pedals. I followed the instructions carefully, learning how snap the shoes into the pedals and how to twist them out.

What I didn't learn was how to train my brain force my ankles outward when you come to unexpected stop! Oops The result was a slow motion (at least from my perspective) fall to the park's roadbed. The crash reopened a wound on my left leg, scraped the skin from just below my knee, and has done something to my left elbow, which absorbed most of the fall. I doubt my elbow is broke, but it and my left forearm are slowly going numb.

Guess I better get to the ER and find out what I've "accomplished" this time. Nervous

As women are always telling us, "We never learn" Dielaughing

Hope your ok bob Okay
07-01-2012 11:41 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Sounds like you inflamed the ulna nerve. Way to go! Please let us know how you are. 'Cause, deep down, we care.

Friend of mine mountain bikes. He can go racing down mountains and never crashes. Yet, nearly every time he gets to the parking lot, he falls over because he forgets his feet are attached.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-01-2012 12:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Hope it all works out for you Bob! A rosebed? Couldn't land somewhere nice and soft, you have to chose a rosebed? LOL! I hope you got all the thorns out! Here's to a quick recovery! Coffee

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
07-01-2012 02:10 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sorry to hear that Bob. Clipless pedals are hard to get used to. Don't let it stop you - you can switch out to the older style pedals fairly easy.

When I was in my teens, a friend and I did two 1,000 mile self-contained bike trips... back then we used the old metal "rat trap" toe clips with leather straps that you could use with any old shoe. My wife and I have touring bikes (mine is a Trek 520 and hers is a modified old Trek hybrid) and mine came with modern SPD clipless pedals (like you used, where you have to have the special shoes to hook into the pedals). The theory is that they are more efficient, since you're firmly attached to the pedals all the time and you can not only push down on them but pull up also as you rotate the crank.

They're called clipless pedals, which is kind of confusing... since you still have to sort of "clip" the shoes into your pedals. The trick is when you start to slow down, or at the first sign of trouble, you must almost unconsciously rotate the back of your shoe outward to snap out of the pedal. Wait too long to do that and you're eating gravel. Oh-jeez

For that reason, I switched back to the old rat trap clips on my bike with platform pedals. Could never get used to the new pedals.

We took a short bike trip a couple of summer ago in Wisconsin, packed with tent, food, cooking supplies, sleeping bags, CPAP and a bunch of other stuff for the trip. It was fun, but very exhausting in the Wisconsin hills.

Here's a picture of my bike, minus the front & rear Ortlieb panniers (saddlebags) we used for our trip:

[Image: trek520.jpg]

Just noticed the Tour de France is on the tele just now... got to sign off. Big Grin

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

07-01-2012 03:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

A college professor friend of mine and her husband biked from east Tennessee to Los Angeles then from there to Washington State. They made the trip two weeks shorter than they thought they would. They got a good wind at their back crossing the plains. They completely biked through several states without stopping. They were afraid the bugs would carry them off.

Oh, and the reason for the trip? It was his SIXTIETH high school reunion.

Last time I was on a bike, I was in college eons ago. Came down a hill in the rain and really wiped out. I don't remember making my way home. Luckily, a friend of mine had a bad feeling about me and came to check on me. She found the trashed bike leaning against the trailer and found me passed out in the living room. I got the bike fixed and continued to use it to commute to work but when school started back in the fall, I stopped using it. It is leaning against the shed with a tree growing up between the frame.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

07-01-2012 08:41 PM
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Status update: Fractured top end of radius bone and incurred damage to several nerves. Currently have arm in sling, appointment with orthopedic doctor this afternoon, and taking pain-killers. Rolleyes

Once I get full use of my left hand, I'll post a picture of my Cannondale Hybrid, which sustained no damage in the fall.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-02-2012 09:48 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Of course it didn't. You gallantly shielded it with your body.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

07-02-2012 10:56 AM
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(07-02-2012 09:48 AM)bobg1946 Wrote:  Status update: Fractured top end of radius bone and incurred damage to several nerves. Currently have arm in sling, appointment with orthopedic doctor this afternoon, and taking pain-killers. Rolleyes

Once I get full use of my left hand, I'll post a picture of my Cannondale Hybrid, which sustained no damage in the fall.

Ouch! Hopefully the nerves are just in shock and will recover with no impairment once the arm has been casted for awhile. Good thing the bike is okay. It would really suck if you were both broken! Bigwink

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
07-02-2012 11:28 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Dreamcatcher Offline

Members-b

Machine: Resmed Autoset Spirit II with Quattro F/F & FX Masks
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: H4i
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Get Well Soon My Friend

[Image: wont-stop-screaming.jpg]
07-02-2012 01:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Which glucose meters do you guys use? pupcamper 24 796 09-24-2016 06:59 AM
Last Post: pupcamper