Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Older Machines With PS & EPAP Settings?
Older Machines With PS & EPAP Settings?
I'm trying to figure out what older machines have Pressure Support (PS) and EPAP settings.

I've found that relatively low EPAP and PS settings takes care of my obstructed breathing while also being comfortable.

I'm looking for an inexpensive machine for travel but I'm having a hard time figuring out what machines have these two settings.

Ideally, there is an older machine that I can get used for not much money that allows setting PS and EPAP.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Older Machines With PS & EPAP Settings?
Any of the older BPAP's will have those settings. I see that your using an ASV machine. Why would you not use that?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2017, 01:23 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Any of the older BPAP's will have those settings. I see that your using an ASV machine. Why would you not use that?

Thanks Walla Walla.

I don't want to risk damaging my expensive ASV when I travel. Also, I like having a backup.

Can you or someone else recommend an inexpensive model? I'd like to spend under $500.

In looking over the inventory of Supplier #2, they have a "Respironics BIPAP Pro with BIFLEX" for $400. I'm guessing the "Bi-flex" can be disabled and based upon what you said that it'll have PS and EPAP settings?

Good golly machine designations and functionality are confusing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually the Bipap Pro is a fixed setting machine not Auto. Yes you can disable the biflex. I think what you want though is a Auto Bipap.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2017, 01:53 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Actually the Bipap Pro is a fixed setting machine not Auto. Yes you can disable the biflex. I think what you want though is a Auto Bipap.

OK, I feel like I have some direction now. I'll do some digging in the Auto Bi-PAP direction making sure to check out the clinician manual before buying.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just FYI, a brand new Dreamstation Auto-BiPAP DSX700T11 is $764 on Amazon. It's a good reference point. I purchased a Philips Respironics 60 Series BiPAP Auto DS760H11 on Craigslist for $350 several years ago. When you review used machine on Supplier #2, I encourage you not to go too old. Do not buy the M-Series or 50 Series machines. The oldest you should consider, especially in that price range is the PRS1 60 Series BiPAP Auto
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider,

Thanks for your help. What's the concern with older machines? I do think data recording would be a plus and I doubt older machines do this.

I'm also thinking Bi-PAP only (not auto) should work as I've set my EPAP maximum and minimum settings to the same value along with PS maximum and minimum values and still got low AHI values (essentially disabling the auto adjusting functionality). Maybe this can save me some money. It doesn't have to be perfect as I don't travel much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't overlook the Resmed S9 VPAP-S or VPAP Auto. They are very impressive machines, nearly equal in every way to the Aircurve 10. The Respironics M-Series is very old, no data and I just don't think you should own a 2008 machine at this point. Same thing with the Resmed S8 and anything earlier. The PRS1-50 series is very similar to the 60 series in function except it does not allow for a heated hose, but it has a fatal flaw where the system board can lift off the sensors and create an error. I just think it is better to avoid.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK.

Thanks, Sleeprider.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,030 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 218 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 623 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 761 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 487 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 566 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 791 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.