Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

URGENT issue FAA approval for international travel?
RE: URGENT issue FAA approval for international travel?
(12-26-2016, 10:08 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Here is your FAA approval letter: http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/s...r_eng1.pdf

How about the Phillips letter if you know, or have it? Would be nice to have it in case I ever need it.... Thanks! (I mean not everyone has the snooty resmed units) lol
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the bottom of your machine (and Resmed as well), is a label with a picture of a jet, and the words: Complies with RTCA/DO-160F Section 21, category M. This is legal labeling which was issued by rule in 2009, and with proper labeling a FAA Compliance Letter need not be carried. https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation...o09006.pdf
Quote:B. Other Respiratory Devices.
All POC manufacturer s are knowledgeable regarding aviation requirements for POCs. POCs are in common use on air carriers. All currently FAA-approved POCs meet FAA requirements for M-PEDs. However, this is not the case for other respiratory assistive devices (ventilators, respirators and CPAP machines). For other devices that have not been tested by the manufacturer to meet the emission levels in the RTCA standard, air carriers can continue to use the current guidance in AC 91.21-1. In many situations, this requires case-by-case testing of a particular device and a determination
by the air carrier that the device can be operated safely on their aircraft.

All this nonsense means is that the device complies with electromagnetic radiation standards and may be used in flight. That is a lot to do about nothing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2016, 12:05 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: On the bottom of your machine (and Resmed as well), is a label with a picture of a jet, and the words: Complies with RTCA/DO-160F Section 21, category M. This is legal labeling which was issued by rule in 2009, and with proper labeling a FAA Compliance Letter need not be carried. https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation...o09006.pdf
Quote:B. Other Respiratory Devices.
All POC manufacturer s are knowledgeable regarding aviation requirements for POCs. POCs are in common use on air carriers. All currently FAA-approved POCs meet FAA requirements for M-PEDs. However, this is not the case for other respiratory assistive devices (ventilators, respirators and CPAP machines). For other devices that have not been tested by the manufacturer to meet the emission levels in the RTCA standard, air carriers can continue to use the current guidance in AC 91.21-1. In many situations, this requires case-by-case testing of a particular device and a determination
by the air carrier that the device can be operated safely on their aircraft.

All this nonsense means is that the device complies with electromagnetic radiation standards and may be used in flight. That is a lot to do about nothing.

Thank you.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have carried my Respironics Auto ASV Advanced round the world since it was square, and even used it on Egyptair, once on battery and once on the AC outlet on their Boeing 777. Never a problem. I just looked to see if there was an airplane on the bottom label of my machine. There is - never noticed it before! Thank You, Sleeprider.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have traveled internationally with United, Lufthansa, Air France, and (the best of all) KLM throughout the U.S. and Europe. No one ever blinks when my ResMed 9 or HDM Z1 or Respironics Go goes through security or is in checked baggage. I do carry ResMed's and HDM's FAA statements. I do not carry the M.D. prescription, but should.

(I should admit I do travel Business or First Class which may make a difference. Different Security lines.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,671 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 101 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 669 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.