Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

On Bipap trial, unsure where to go from here
RE: On Bipap trial, unsure where to go from here
Looks like you are pointed in the right direction, mouth leaks seem to be an issue to try and improve now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi All,

I'm writing to update this thread. I've been using the VAuto for the last 6 weeks and feel a lot better. I 've had my own machine for a couple of weeks, after a delay due to a paperwork problem between insurance and the DME provider.

Getting a handle on mouth leaks has been challenging at times. For some reason, I think I am more prone to mouth leaks with this type of machine--it sometimes feels like excess pressure is being pushed out through my mouth after a few cycles. I use mouth tape and try resting my chin against a pillow. I would be interested in other ideas to control mouth leaks.

I've recently tried the F30i "hybrid" mask for a couple of weeks, which does cause my leaks to go way down, though it's not a silver bullet. I find the headgear can be uncomfortable and can have more pressure side effects with this mask. In general, I seem to tolerate the pillows mask better, so my first choice would be to improve my therapy while using that type of mask.

Finally, I've noticed that my recorded AHI is often higher with the hybrid mask than the pillows mask. Not sure what to make of this--is it possible that the data with the hybrid mask is more accurate because fewer leaks? 

Thanks for all your help!

Best,

Alex

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It's good to hear things are going better.

Only a large leak would have the potential to mess up your AHI data.

You might try using a soft cervical collar to keep your jaw up. This would replace the pillow you're using. Take some care in finding the right size (both circumference and height.

Another option is a chin strap. You might take a look at the Knightsbridge Dual Strap, which will pull your jaw up without pulling it back.
Post Reply Post Reply
The F30 or F20 is probably a better full face option. I thought the top hose mount would be great but those models never did work as good for me.

FFM's can be less effective so sometimes so you need to use different settings with them. The odd person can't get them to work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I ordered the Knightsbridge. Looks like it could be a good option.

I didn't realized that the reason FFM can require higher pressure settings is because they are less effective.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,178 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP trial - Improvements but exhausted still prairiesleeper 7 518 10-02-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 582 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor
  [CPAP] Machine trial with Kaiser KKoelle 5 692 08-08-2023, 11:52 AM
Last Post: KKoelle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.