Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One PAP, two PAP. Red PAP, blue PAP. [abbreviations/acronyms]
One PAP, two PAP. Red PAP, blue PAP. [abbreviations/acronyms]
I'm continuing (slowly) to read back in time in various threads here that interest me, and I can see that there's a problem for newbies, potentially a big misunderstanding, caused by the ambiguity of the term "CPAP".  The correct expansion is "continuous positive airway pressure", which is fine until a discussion gets to the point at which it's necessary to distinguish between auto-titrated PAP (APAP) and constant-pressure (or fixed-pressure) PAP, at which point a lot of people assume that "continuous" means "constant" or "fixed", which it doesn't; it just means "uninterrupted".  I think what they're really after (merely from being in a hurry, from not pausing to think about it) is that "continuous" should mean "constant" or "fixed", which is futile.  That way lies more confusion.

It would sure be nice if we could all magically start using, and keep using, the term "FPAP" for fixed-pressure PAP, instead of using "CPAP" for that.  Because in posts here I've seen a number of things like "Depending on your medical diagnosis, CPAP may not be right for you; APAP might be better."  In that example, the intended meaning is obvious, given the context, but the use of "CPAP" is still wrong.  In some other contexts, "CPAP" is even more ambiguous and confusing.

APAP is also one form of continuous positive airway pressure, so it's really auto-CPAP, but it's not constant or fixed pressure.  But when the "A" isn't in the abbreviation, are we talking about constant pressure?  In some cases yes, in other cases no, depending on the writer or speaker.

What can be done?  I can and do suggest "FPAP", but what good will that do?  I'm afeared that we're stuck with the ambiguity, just by accident.  Does anyone here work for the ISO?   Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: One PAP, two PAP. Red PAP, blue PAP.
It is just terminology and you have to look at the context.

Many of us say xPAP (for whatever).

There there is BiPAP (proprietary term used by Phillips)
and Bilevel (what a BiPAP is)
But most people call all bilevels BiPAPs

There really isn't any one singular way to do it unless one is writing a paper. Don't get hung up on the language.

For further info on acronyms/abbreviations:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: One PAP, two PAP. Red PAP, blue PAP. [abbreviations/acronyms]
All these machines are CPAP machines, whether they're Auto-CPAP (APAP), bi-level (BiPAP, VPAP) or ASV type machines--- they're all CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure machines).

That's why when referring to what some call APAP, I personally try to call them Auto-CPAP machines instead, which seems more descriptive and less confusing.  Those are the two most popular machines newbies get (either fixed-pressure CPAP or an auto-CPAP), so newbies get less confused if we use the more descriptive "auto-CPAP" term (rather than APAP).

I personally don't like the term xPAP or even simply PAP, because the xPAP term seems to indicate a "unknown" or "variable" (the 'x') and the simple PAP leaves off a letter representing what all these machines are-- Continuous.  But since all these machines are CPAP machines, the 'x' would always be referring to "Continuous", hence CPAP in all cases.

Those here who end up with bi-level CPAP or ASVs, etc. usually have the terminology figured out (tend to be more advanced as far as their knowledge of the terminology), so members here don't feel the need to be so restrictive in their terminology when referring to those types of machines.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do the red, green, blue and black blocks mean on the Oscar daily page? crazypiglady 3 472 11-12-2023, 01:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Is it worth trying to use Blue Cross insurance? cannongeorge 0 782 12-26-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: cannongeorge
  IntelliPAP 2 & IntelliPAP Blue (DV63 & DV64) Service Manual now available SuperSleeper 0 461 11-21-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Blue cover for tubing for winter use Maggie 8 1,005 12-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Last Post: NelsonM
  [Health] Blue light kills your melatonin levels Omercpap 19 2,335 06-11-2021, 01:41 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  Yellow and Blue bars in OSCAR lbl82 3 1,081 05-30-2020, 11:04 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Acronyms HD Fry 2 1,358 04-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: HD Fry

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.