Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sincerely tried but failed
RE: Sincerely tried but failed
(04-20-2015, 06:59 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote: I agree with all other's to train your tongue, It can and will take time, but once you do you will notice when the air is leaking out of your mouth right away. And after a few months it should be a no brainer.
I guess as a last resort you could look into some type of an oral device ?
I've wondered if those really work?
Sleep-well

Are you saying that, if a change to nasal pillows I may have to put up with mouth leaks for several months while training my tongue for the tongue trick to work?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Tonight will be my 6th time using CPAP therapy so yes, I am completely green, but I thought I would chime in. 

I too am a mouth breather which is why I went with the oral mask. I have had zero leaks the last two nights and don't have to use the straps either. All in all it seems to be a much better solution for me than any other type mask out there except for one thing, the mouth dryness. 

Man, it really is bad even with my humidifier and temp set to their maximum. I have been using coconut oil which helps like 13% but it's not enough. Ordered some spry mouth spray and will give that a go. Going to pick up some dry mouth gel tomorrow as well. Hopefully these things will help. I had dry mouth to begin with so it might not be as bad for you, but it is a problem. Anyway, you might want to check out the mask I am using and see if interests you. I got mine for around $67. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2017, 08:53 PM)Snorilla Wrote: Tonight will be my 6th time using CPAP therapy so yes, I am completely green, but I thought I would chime in. 

I too am a mouth breather which is why I went with the oral mask. I have had zero leaks the last two nights and don't have to use the straps either. All in all it seems to be a much better solution for me than any other type mask out there except for one thing, the mouth dryness. 

Man, it really is bad even with my humidifier and temp set to their maximum. I have been using coconut oil which helps like 13% but it's not enough. Ordered some spry mouth spray and will give that a go. Going to pick up some dry mouth gel tomorrow as well. Hopefully these things will help. I had dry mouth to begin with so it might not be as bad for you, but it is a problem. Anyway, you might want to check out the mask I am using and see if interests you. I got mine for around $67. Good luck.

I found a product called Xylimelts to be extremely helpful for dry mouth caused by xPAP's. Found it on the shelve of a local CVS. It will last about 4-6 hours most nights but really makes a difference. Might be worth giving it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to remove the link I posted here before as I violated forum rules by posting it.  Sorry to all parties.  If you  need another solution for a chin strap that prevents mouth leaks just do a google search for it!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2017, 11:29 PM)Melman Wrote: Are you saying that, if a change to nasal pillows I may have to put up with mouth leaks for several months while training my tongue for the tongue trick to work?

I wouldn't count on it. I'd immediately go to a full face mask if a chin strap doesn't work. If you want to train your tongue you can do it while wearing a full face mask. That would be better than ruining every night's sleep with mouth leaks.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Only took me one night to get rid of 90% of my mouth opening no special pressurized it's naturl to keep you mouth shut. I also have a large tougue, and the only place for it is up against my teeth. Of course, we are all unique.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello folks, I just naturally started off with a full face mask. I knew my mouth stayed open during sleeping, as I'm a nose and mouth breather while awake. Don't ask me to explain, but to my amazingly odd sense of reasoning it seemed right to me so I went this way. My new acquisition for round 2 of xPap was the Amara View. It works for me.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Amara View when I have a night where I know I won't be able to control my mouth and tongue. I still try to breathe through my nose, as that helps reduce the dry mouth; but at least if I end up mouth-breathing, I'm still getting the xPAP therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inspire failed trying pap again Dalemazkour 10 247 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 Humid failed ? tpm1952 6 588 11-17-2023, 10:36 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Equipment] Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? FLsleeper7 34 17,676 09-16-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: cparias
  Failed Cpap and Bipap, would love some help with Oscar info! Ryanns 2 673 09-01-2022, 10:39 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  AS11 failed to write data last night Millstone50 1 685 02-03-2022, 04:07 PM
Last Post: sawinglogz
  After Four Failed Machines it is Clear - RESMED SUCKS Akhenaten33 24 3,970 10-10-2021, 09:06 AM
Last Post: FLcracker
  Pulse-ox finger probe failed cathyf 3 749 10-03-2021, 02:46 PM
Last Post: cathyf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.