Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One Year Anniversary and Perplexed
RE: One Year Anniversary and Perplexed
Bill, it is a different animal altogether.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Short answer is no. And Sleeprider is correct, they're different machines.

A bit longer answer: I cannot tell much difference from my BiPAP to the ASV, my 2 most recent machines. I know you specified APAP. I can only guess that an APAP can feel similar to BiPAP on pressure relief etc.

I had basic brick CPAP in 2015. It was before I joined here so I was very very misinformed. I then went off CPAP for '16 to do bariatric surgery. Then 3/17 I got a BiPAP. I'll say the BiPAP and ASV act similar. Just note the BiPAP and ASV are made by different manufacturers. But to me, both were similar enough. Hope it helps.

FWIW my ASV by ResMed is very fast in transitions from inhale to exhale but it feels better than a DreamStation IMO only. I don't feel like it's annoying or not natural. And yes YMMV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2017, 04:30 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Bill, it is a different animal altogether.

I know it isn't necessarily easy to describe the sorts of differences, but how is the user experience different?

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2017, 04:39 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Short answer is no. And Sleeprider is correct, they're different machines.

A bit longer answer: I cannot tell much difference from my BiPAP to the ASV, my 2 most recent machines. I know you specified APAP. I can only guess that an APAP can feel similar to BiPAP on pressure relief etc.

I had basic brick CPAP in 2015. It was before I joined here so I was very very misinformed. I then went of CPAP for '16 to do bariatric surgery. Then 3/17 I got a BiPAP. I'll say the BiPAP and ASV act similar. Just note the BiPAP and ASV are made by different manufacturers. But to me, both were similar enough. Hope it helps.

FWIW my ASV by ResMed is very fast in transitions from inhale to exhale but it feels better than a DreamStation IMO only. I don't feel like it's annoying or not natural. And yes YMMV.

One thing I know is that I like to fully exhale (long breaths) and have half-a-beat before inhaling. Getting beaten to the punch on inhalation would be hard to adjust to for me.

I believe the ASV (like my APAP and the trial Bi-level) I'll be trying is a ResMed unit.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
In my experience so far with mine, you should be happy with it. I'll try to untangle the mess from my prior post. "Fast in transitions" specifically. As soon as I exert any exhalation at all, pressure is dropped off and I can exhale with ease. This comes from one who could not tolerate a CPAP set at 18.

What I'm finding also is that my inhale is slightly delayed. There is no setting for this BTW. I believe my ASV tuned itself to how I breathe; it knows my breathing pattern.

And to the unasked question: how did I get it to do that? I breathe in and out as if there's no mask. Period. Nothing else.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2017, 06:00 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: In my experience so far with mine, you should be happy with it. I'll try to untangle the mess from my prior post. "Fast in transitions" specifically. As soon as I exert any exhalation at all, pressure is dropped off and I can exhale with ease. This comes from one who could not tolerate a CPAP set at 18.

What I'm finding also is that my inhale is slightly delayed. There is no setting for this BTW. I believe my ASV tuned itself to how I breathe; it knows my breathing pattern.

And to the unasked question: how did I get it to do that? I breathe in and out as if there's no mask. Period. Nothing else.

Thank you Dave!

This response relieved my one concern. 

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome. FWIW there are only 4 pressure settings on my ResMed ASV. EPAP min and max and pressure support min and max. Oh and that's in clinical setup mode. I forgot. There is the Ramp pair of settings, time and start pressure, but I'm not using that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2017, 04:49 PM)Spy Car Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 04:30 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Bill, it is a different animal altogether.

I know it isn't necessarily easy to describe the sorts of differences, but how is the user experience different?

Bill

I think it's just a subtle difference in how the machines feel with mask on. My ASV just feels like normal, natural breathing. To me the BiPAP felt more disjointed. AKA it didn't act or feel like one continuous, flowing act. Breathe in didn't flow into breathing out as it should. That's the best I can possibly put it into words.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2017, 06:38 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 04:49 PM)Spy Car Wrote:

Bill

I think it's just a subtle difference in how the machines feel with mask on. My ASV just feels like normal, natural breathing. To me the BiPAP felt more disjointed. AKA it didn't act or feel like one continuous, flowing act. Breathe in didn't flow into breathing out as it should. That's the best I can possibly put it into words.

Good to know. I do OK with my APAP (ResMed 10 Auto). Not exactly natural breathing but close. The short Bi-level experience was bad (very bad) and I was constrained from much knob fiddling.

I'm hoping the ASV helps. After a year of APAP I'm still blasted tired. At times it has bee therapeutic, other times not.  Really mixed experience.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Copy on that Bill. My BiPAP was all bad as it induced CA. My ASV is totally all positive. That is after I got over the newbie-ness of any PAP therapy AND the bad habit of mask removal at the 2-3 hour mark. Both the CPAP and BiPAP were just plain wrong for me. I barely used either compared to the ASV. Machine and I were not on same page until now with the ASV.

To great results and success,
Dave B.

Coffee Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's been a year and I'm about ready to kick CPAP to the curb drago7579 15 321 04-20-2024, 08:44 PM
Last Post: drago7579
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 46 3,174 04-16-2024, 05:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  1 Year of Therapy Still Dealing With Fatigue and Headaches Zzera 7 302 03-31-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] One year in, need a reality check BuzzaJim 2 178 03-30-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: BuzzaJim
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,784 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  It's Been Almost a Year With My aPAP, Still Need Help AP0011 2 340 01-20-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Last year, AHI <1. This year, AHI >5. WTF? srwilsn3 14 865 12-17-2023, 11:41 AM
Last Post: srwilsn3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.