Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: Resmed H5I
CPAP Pressure: 9
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

One last chance at a new mask.
Hi Everyone. I have one last chance to get a mask today that will be free, so i am trying to figure out if i need to even bother. I have almost come to the conclusion that my masks are probably as good as they get even though they give me some troubles. First i have the Swift FX pillows that i have finally gotten used to and really do like, but was wondering if there was better pillow masks that are more comfortable and i have a Mirage FX for her that i used to like, but now after getting used to the pillows i almost feel like it is suffocating. I was going to try the Mirage Activa Nasal Mask because i am such a toss and turner, but now that i have gotten used to the pillows, i guess i wouldn't like that either. Does anyone know of a mask with pillows that is comfortable and stays in place when your an active sleeper or is there such a thing. I have an appointment at 2 today and i may even call to cancel because after looking at all the masks i really don't thing there is a solution. Is there?
08-24-2012 05:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
EyesWideOpen Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 14
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: One last chance at a new mask.
There is a newer variation of the Swift FX for her out there call: Swift™ FX Bella Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgears. These newer versions have two types of headgear allowing the mask to be attached with loops around the ears, or the more traditional headgear of the original Swift FX. The loop-type headgear may allow for greater, unrestricted movement for active sleepers. It might be worth looking at.

Good luck!
08-24-2012 06:35 AM
zimlich Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respironics PR System One BiPap Auto SV Advanced
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed gel Nasal Mask
Humidifier: System One
CPAP Pressure: 8-20 ASV, 8 EPAP,PS 12

Other Comments: I use the Quattro FFM when necessary

I'd go to the appointment. You never know- you might get a tech really skilled with masks. Take the ones you have. Good luck.
08-24-2012 06:45 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
JJJ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Most recent: Wisp, Pilairo, Mirage Vista
Humidifier: ResMed S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 17-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(08-24-2012 06:35 AM)EyesWideOpen Wrote:  There is a newer variation of the Swift FX for her out there call: Swift™ FX Bella Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgears. These newer versions have two types of headgear allowing the mask to be attached with loops around the ears, or the more traditional headgear of the original Swift FX. The loop-type headgear may allow for greater, unrestricted movement for active sleepers. It might be worth looking at.

People who already have a Swift FX can just order the bella loops, which is a lot cheaper. I bought mine on eBay for half what suppliers want. Note that eBay (USA) doesn't allow items that require a prescription, but the bella loops are "parts," so it's legal to sell them there. Ditto for replacement pillows and such.
08-24-2012 09:05 AM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi jodiramm, I'd go ahead and go to the apointment, you just might find something better. I used the Mirage Activa and liked it, the only thing was, with that mask, they didnot offer a petite cushion so I switched to pillows and like them as well. I could switch back and forth as I need to though and get along just fine. Best of luck.

trish6hundred
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012 09:42 AM by trish6hundred.)
08-24-2012 01:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Why is this your last chance? Last chance as in you are getting tired of trying masks or last chance because it's the last one the supplier will let you try?

Either way, go to the appointment. List out each mask you have tried and the problems you have had with each and take that list with you.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-24-2012 02:59 PM
dakota Offline

Members

Machine: None
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: None

Other Comments: I am a registered sleep technologist

I have a lot of patients who love the Swift FX. The complaint I get, besides the air pressure, is the pressure it can put right underneath the nose. I have trialed a Swift LT on those who complained, and they have liked it better. The only issue with the LT, is that the headgear is not as soft as with the FX. If you like nasal masks, the Zest might work well for you too. Very light weight and it does an amazing job.
08-24-2012 05:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(08-24-2012 05:33 PM)dakota Wrote:  If you like nasal masks, the Zest might work well for you too. Very light weight and it does an amazing job.
Everyone is different. You never know if the mask going to be comfortable or can work for you till you try it.
For me its the Activa LT but for someone else it can be the most uncomfortable mask
Welcome
08-24-2012 05:51 PM
dakota Offline

Members

Machine: None
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: None

Other Comments: I am a registered sleep technologist

(08-24-2012 05:51 PM)zonk Wrote:  
(08-24-2012 05:33 PM)dakota Wrote:  If you like nasal masks, the Zest might work well for you too. Very light weight and it does an amazing job.
Everyone is different. You never know if the mask going to be comfortable or can work for you till you try it.
For me its the Activa LT but for someone else it can be the most uncomfortable mask
Welcome

You are 100% correct and I do love the Activa LT and it is one of the masks I bring in to my patients. That is why I sit with my patients, let them try the masks (with pressure) to see how they tolerate it. I have a lot of success with the Zest though for those who tolerate it and like it. I also have a lot of patients who swear by the Zest as well as the Activa LT, and Ultra Mirage II. Just depends on the individual.
08-24-2012 06:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
jodiramm Offline

Members

Machine: S9 Resmed Elite
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: Resmed H5I
CPAP Pressure: 9

Other Comments:

I just woke up from the best sleep i have gotten since i started with the hose a little under a month now. I went to my appointment and got the Swift FX Bella for her. It is the most comfortable mask ever. You don't even feel it at all. Just adjust the ear pieces to your liking and you don't even feel them. I know right? It looks uncomfortable, but for me it was not and i didn't even wake up once. Now if i could just sleep passed 6 hours.
08-25-2012 04:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Last chance, I'm failing! dallasc5 16 2,125 09-29-2014 12:55 AM
Last Post: retired_guy
  [News] Sleep drunkenness disorder - 1 in 7 chance you have it ApneaNews 5 1,573 09-03-2014 05:44 PM
Last Post: archangle