Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One month in, trying to improve
One month in, trying to improve
I am totally new to this world and about 1 month in to treatment. I did a home sleep study for 2 nights and the first night didn't do well due to poor mask fit. The second night had an REI of 21.8 and I was diagnosed with Obstructive Apnea. I was given a Respironics Dreamstation APAP set to 5.00-20.00 and a Dreamwear Nasal Cushion. I have since tried a Dreamwear Full Face (not good) and a Nasal Pillow mask, but the Nasal Cushion seems to be the best fit. I get almost no mask leak so that's not an issue. My AHI has varied between about 12 and 7 and I have only been below 5 once. The more I learn in Oscar and on this forum, I have adjusted my lower limit up to 6.5 but otherwise haven't made changes. I have become concerned about my periodic breathing and my CAs. I'm hoping I can get some help from some of the more experienced here to analyze my charts and give me some advice. I'm attaching my best day (AHI 4.55) and 2 of the most recent (high PB). I'm especially wanting to know if I need to worry about the amount of periodic breathing. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: One month in, trying to improve
Better night last night. Upped my lower limit to 7.0, only change I made.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day wdarner. Welcome to Apnea Board.

It would be great if you could post a copy of your sleep study report so we can get a baseline. We need to see all the charts and tables, not just the summary. In particular I'd like to see if the central apneas occurred before you got the machine. Make sure you erase any personal ID on the report.

Looking at your charts, the apneas are just about all in clusters, and the periodic breathing is occurring during the same clusters. I suspect this is a case of positional apnea, where your sleeping position is compromising your airway. Most commonly this happens when your chin falls forward and tucks down to the chest, compressing the windpipe. To overcome this, you need to sleep so that your head is tilted very slightly backwards and the neck is slightly extended. The most successful approach is to use a soft cervical collar.

Read about it here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea

and here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Post Reply Post Reply
Deep Breathing,

Thanks for the response. I will order and try the collar, seems like an easy attempt to see if it makes a change.

Unfortunately, all my doctor supplied was a one page summary for each night of my sleep study. I did not received the full blown detailed results. I will call today to see if they will send them to me. I am due in mid April for my first follow-up.

My biggest concern is that the periodic breathing pattern is not Cheyne-Stokes. Could I possibly be headed towards an ASV device?
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe they have a legal obligation to provide the full report if requested.

I'm pretty sure the periodic breathing is not CSR but if you zoom in close so that 3 minutes or so fill the screen and give us an image of that, it will be fairly easy to tell one way or the other.
Post Reply Post Reply
DB you have 2 rights here. In the US The patient has the right to a copy of all medical records and tests because of our HIPPA laws, that and I too believe a Soft Cervical Collar is indicated here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2020, 08:18 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I believe they have a legal obligation to provide the full report if requested.

I'm pretty sure the periodic breathing is not CSR but if you zoom in close so that 3 minutes or so fill the screen and give us an image of that, it will be fairly easy to tell one way or the other.

Spoke to my doctor's office and they are mailing me the report. In the meantime, I will expand the chart and send another image when I get home this evening.
Thanks for the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are three zoomed-in screenshots. Let me know what your thoughts are!
The collar is ordered and set to arrive on Sunday, so we'll see how that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, they do look like genuine central apneas to me and the waxing / waning waveform is typical of Cheyne Stokes Respiration. Perhaps members with more experience in the condition will confirm or deny this.

I don't want to alarm you, but if this was me I'd be getting to a doctor for a thorough review. CSR can be associated with congestive heart failure, stroke, neurological conditions - or it might just happen for no apparent reason. Best to get those nasties eliminated if you can.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2020, 05:40 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: OK, they do look like genuine central apneas to me and the waxing / waning waveform is typical of Cheyne Stokes Respiration. Perhaps members with more experience in the condition will confirm or deny this.

I don't want to alarm you, but if this was me I'd be getting to a doctor for a thorough review. CSR can be associated with congestive heart failure, stroke, neurological conditions - or it might just happen for no apparent reason. Best to get those nasties eliminated if you can.

Thanks DB,
I have my first follow-up with my doctor in 2 weeks and I'll definitely discuss it with him then.

I have the Cheyne Stokes Respiration event flag set in Oscar and it has yet to be flagged in any of my charts, so I am hopeful if it's happening it's a mild condition so far.

My PB has been a little more controlled the last few nights. I tried a cervical collar last night for the first time. It was comfortable enough to wear but didn't seem to make a huge difference in my Oscar chart. Here is last night's chart and a zoomed chart of the PB area.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 142 9 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 153 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  [Treatment] Low O2 After Almost a Month of Therapy somewherein413 36 1,017 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,273 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 521 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.