Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One month in, trying to improve
RE: One month in, trying to improve
Exactly. If you were on fixed CPAP pressure, the 90% pressure is typically where we set fixed pressure. You really need minimum pressure to be at least within 2-cm of that with the Philips because too low and you will have events before the pressure recovers. This will cycle over and over with the minimum pressure set too low. Many people think auto pressure means they don't need to worry about the setting, but nothing could be further from the truth. You will become more accustomed and comfortable with the higher pressure. Just give it time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
An update on the past few nights. I have varied comfort settings some but can't seem to to lower my AHI, it still remains around an 8-10 range and that's about the best I can do. I have kept the lower limit at 7.5, which has been raised from the 5.0 originally prescribed. I have tried A Flex, C Flex, both set to 1, and Flex off. C Flex sends my OAs through the roof. A Flex keeps my OAs down but my CAs and periodic breathing go way up. When I turn Flex off, breathing is uncomfortable but it does bring down my CAs and periodic breathing drastically, but my OAs again go up so my AHI remains high. Tonight I will return to Flex off and try the cervical collar again to see if that helps. 

I finally received my detailed sleep study info which I am attaching here. I ran out of space here and had to delete some past attachments to attach this. I did a 2 night home study but the first night was a fail due to the the fact that I wore the nose cannula incorrectly. So I am only attaching the second night. Apparently the signal quality on the belts were a big fail, not sure what that means to the results. If anyone can help decipher the report, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks again for all the help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at your study of your 21 AHI some of that was Mixed/Central apnoea particularly on your left side. SO it is not surprising you have CA’s during treatment. This would indicate your CA’s are not treatment emergent.
Post Reply Post Reply
The fact that the belt signal is poor means that the numbers for mixed and central apnea are suspect.

The other thing that jumps out is the length of some of the events - an obstructive apnea of 76.4 seconds can't be good for you! This demonstrates that AHI is a very crude measure of the severity of sleep apnea and we need to look more closely at the details.
Post Reply Post Reply
So here's my latest data from last night. Turned Flex off and wore a cervical collar. I am used to the exhale pressure with Flex off now and the collar seems OK, so it was a relatively comfortable night of sleep. Definitely helped control the CAs a just 2, but the OAs are up to 24 and still a fair amount of periodic breathing. Leaks were up a little too, but I'm guessing different pressure on the pillow from having the collar on.

I guess my question now is whether I should keep Flex on which seems to help keep OAs down at the expense of CAs, or turn it off to control CAs at the expense of OAs. As always, any thoughts or input appreciated.

I called my doctor and have moved my appointment up to this Monday to discuss. It will be a telehealth appointment from home over Skype due to Covid 19. He will still be able to access my data remotely so should be OK to do it that way. I'll report back after that.

Thanks all for the continued support and advice!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Ask your doctor if he can switch you to a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. You obviously have problems syncing with the Philips and the Resmed delivers pressure and exhale pressure relief in a completely different manner that resembles bilevel, and the pressure is much faster to respond to flow limitation ahead of obstructive events and actually prevents them. I doubt he is going to be enthusiastic about switching machines, but the number of people with results like this, that do better on a Resmed is something we have seen a lot.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2020, 09:17 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Ask your doctor if he can switch you to a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  You obviously have problems syncing with the Philips and the Resmed delivers pressure and exhale pressure relief in a completely different manner that resembles bilevel, and the pressure is much faster to respond to flow limitation ahead of obstructive events and actually prevents them.  I doubt he is going to be enthusiastic about switching machines, but the number of people with results like this, that do better on a Resmed is something we have seen a lot.

Thanks, I'm am going to discuss what has been happening and see what he says. Unfortunately, the meeting is with the office PA and I won't even be able to get to the doctor at this point. The medical supply co. he uses only uses Phillips so to get to a Resmed machine I would have to use a different supplier. I doubt he will be open to this, but I'll try to stand my ground. I'll report back Monday evening how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the supplier connected to the doctor's practice?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2020, 10:47 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Is the supplier connected to the doctor's practice?

Not directly as far as I know. The doctor's office had a variety of machines on display, including the Resmeds. So I think it was probably just that particular supplier that  was Phillips only. So hopefully I will have some options. I do know that I LOVE the Phillips Nasal Cushion mask, so I hope I can still use that on the Resmed if I change. I don't see any reason why I couldn't do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any mask can be used with any full size machine (The resmed mini is not so flexible)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 243 11 hours ago
Last Post: Akaharu
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 142 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 248 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 209 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  [Treatment] Low O2 After Almost a Month of Therapy somewherein413 36 1,243 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 182 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 1,000 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.