Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
One month later
Been experimenting some with pressures and got some interesting results. Equipment is in sig and I added Swift FX nasal pillows.

1. Normal night: AHI=.8 avg, pressure ranges from 4 to 12, leaks are near zero, both the mask and pillows are comfortable.

2. If I set the S9 to CPAP and pressure of 4, I get an AHI of .3 with only 1 or 2 events total per night. This is the same with the pillows or full face mask. Seems odd, but I like it. Makes me wonder why in APAP mode it ramps the pressure up to 12-14 a couple of times a night. Based on the CPAP mode and 4 pressure, that isn't necessary.

3. The pillows are amazingly comfortable. But for some reason, I seem better rested after a night on the full mask. No leaks with either and I don't mouth breath and the snore index is always zero these days. Thought this was strange and causes a dilemma as to which mask to use. I love the pillows for the comfort and I can use my glasses with them. I love the full face mask because I don't know what to do with all the energy the next day. Although I am infinitely more rested with the pillows than I was without CPAP. Just a curious result that I cannot trace to root cause.

That's it. Since starting this a month ago I've started to eat right, exercise and I can go all day without a nap (been a long time since that has happened). I travel a lot (4 days / week, multiple cities) and didn't think I would lug the S9 around but I won't go anywhere without it. Gives me my edge back.

I did get lucky and my Medical Savings account covered the cost of the machine and equipment. Now trying to get TriCare to pay for the ongoing supplies. Speaking of which, why do I need a new mask every 3 months? If it still works, why replace it? I can understand if insurance is paying, but so far this has all been self funded.

Thanks to everyone on the board. Without your help, I never would have tried this out and that would have been unfortunate. Life is good.

Tom
03-27-2012 11:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Jenny Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: none
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Somnodent dental appliance

Sex: Female

RE: One month later
Curious--what is your mask called? I use Swift FX nasal pillows, and you have me curious to try your mask, with your comment about having so much energy the next day.
03-27-2012 12:01 PM
zimlich Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respironics PR System One BiPap Auto SV Advanced
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed gel Nasal Mask
Humidifier: System One
CPAP Pressure: 8-20 ASV, 8 EPAP,PS 12
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I use the Quattro FFM when necessary

Sex: Female

You don't need to replace your mask that often even if insurance will pay. it's nice to have a spare, but since you have tow that you use- the FFM or the pillows essentially you always do have a spare.
03-27-2012 04:04 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
tomhole Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15

Other Comments:

(03-27-2012 12:01 PM)Jenny Wrote:  Curious--what is your mask called? I use Swift FX nasal pillows, and you have me curious to try your mask, with your comment about having so much energy the next day.

ResMed Mirage Quattro is my full face mask.
03-27-2012 07:12 PM
cbramsey Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12

Other Comments: Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

The reason you want to change your cushion periodically is the increased likelihood of leaks. Less leaks leads to lower AHIs which leads to better sleep.

The headgear tends to stretch over time which is why insurance allows you to replace them periodically.

I try to "milk" my replacements until I have a spare mask and hose setup.

You never know when you might have an "accident" (such as a puppy chewing on your hose). Oh-jeez

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-27-2012 07:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(03-27-2012 11:53 AM)tomhole Wrote:  2. If I set the S9 to CPAP and pressure of 4, I get an AHI of .3 with only 1 or 2 events total per night. This is the same with the pillows or full face mask. Seems odd, but I like it. Makes me wonder why in APAP mode it ramps the pressure up to 12-14 a couple of times a night. Based on the CPAP mode and 4 pressure, that isn't necessary.

This indicates to me that the APAP's algorithm isn't working (for you).

Quote:3. The pillows are amazingly comfortable. But for some reason, I seem better rested after a night on the full mask. No leaks with either and I don't mouth breath and the snore index is always zero these days. Thought this was strange and causes a dilemma as to which mask to use. I love the pillows for the comfort and I can use my glasses with them. I love the full face mask because I don't know what to do with all the energy the next day. Although I am infinitely more rested with the pillows than I was without CPAP. Just a curious result that I cannot trace to root cause.

It might be worth your while to get fully acclimated to the nasal pillows to see if they'll work for you. The reason I say this is because it took me a long time to get acclimated to the nasal mask/pillows. My mouth tended to open a lot more often when I started out. I think it doesn't show in the leak data because it's not that much above the intentional leak rate. It does show up as a loss of water in the humidifier tank, though. Some nights the level drops a half inch. Others barely enough to see. As time has gone by there are far fewer nights where I get significant drops in the water level.[/quote]

Quote:Gives me my edge back.

That's awesome. I think that's just now starting to happen for me and I'm almost five months in. My AHI is now averaging about 2.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-27-2012 08:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  AHI index has taken a nose dive the past month pdbabb66 32 1,338 11-09-2016 05:58 PM
Last Post: pdbabb66
  1 Month into CPAP - Still Exhausted. What Data to Post? IMSleeplessInSeattle 21 1,200 10-01-2016 12:40 PM
Last Post: TomfromTexas
  5 Month Check-in - SleepyHead Data MeDee 10 594 09-12-2016 08:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Have apt.after 1 month of use. Stats Attached sleepyinFL 6 457 08-31-2016 02:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] First month of CPAP usage, help with the logs Bravo 13 759 08-22-2016 11:35 PM
Last Post: chill
  1 Month data review request dontwantapnea 14 672 08-14-2016 10:19 AM
Last Post: dontwantapnea
  AHI A Month In (and other newbie questions) dclaryjr 16 665 08-04-2016 01:28 PM
Last Post: dclaryjr