Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Power Time Out Protection
Power Time Out Protection
Power Time Out Protection for your CPAP?  You might want to consider a protection device that times out for 3 to 4 minutes so your wonderful CPAP/APAP does not get fried when the power has problems.  Surge protection protects for power spikes but not the multiple on and offs that a storm can give. As more and more power plants close down we can expect to see our power grid more stressed in the future.

I have had this happen in the past during storms:  The power goes out, comes on and goes out again a number of times in short order.  Very hard on electronics.

Do a Google search for NipponAmerica.  When there you will see many catalogs.  Forget the pictures.  
  1. Click on the grey "catalog' at the top of the page.  A list comes up.  
  2. Scroll down to "Power Products Part 2" and click on this.  Now you have the correct catalog.  
  3. Click on the little page arrows until you see 6-7 at the top.  Also, 8-9 at the top.
  4. Double clicking the page makes it bigger.
Careful, some are only 10 second time outs.  I like the longer times so that in a storm things have time to settle down.
Also, make sure you are referencing the correct plug type.  One on display is for 220 voltage -- this should be obvious as the female prongs look different.

Of coarse the above is only for reference and only one company.  You may find others at eBay or AliExpress.

An eBay search for "ProtectX" brings up a lot of these things.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Power Time Out Protection
A much better choice is ZeroSurge (Google it)

All USA Made with higher quality control than imports.

Check them out.

Buy American..!

My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
I looked ZeroSurge up and they have a lot of nice surge suppressors, but I couldn't find any with a time out feature built-in.  There have been a number of times where I have experienced outages that "hammered" or "pulsed" numerous times before the power actually went out.  The time out module protects against that by not allowing power through for 3 to 4 minutes once there is a power snap.  Wonderful devices for protecting electronics.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks and tis does seem to be a good suggestion. However finding something that actually works reliably I am finding challenging.
I found a Nippon unit on a well known online megastore with 3 minute delay, however many of the 300+ reviews are 1* which leads me to believe the mfg has significant quality control issues. Running things through the fakespot online review analysis site gives the reviews a C score in terms of believeability; and a company rating for Nippon products of B; so somewhat encouraging, yet the negative reviews give me pause.

I found a somewhat more expensive one with 3 minute delay with 293 reviews scores on fakespot of B but the company (Exceline) only C. Several of the top reviews here are people who seem to know what they are talking about, but in today's world those reviews could have been planted and bogus as well. Readingg the Q & A on tis one I see that it meets UL regulations but is not UL listed, and like many things is mfg abroad (no China in this case).

This is becoming a tough decision for me. I'd recommend if one buys such a device that you test it by simulating the conditions you want it to protect you from, and then monitor it for at least a month before trusting it with valuable equipment.

Related but laughable ... when I just started therapy a week ago the DME in training me for ResMed emphasized at the outset that the unit should always be plugged in directly to the wall. When I inquired about plugging it into a high quality surge protector power strip I was told that ResMedd warranty would then be voided. When I indicated how absurd that seemed, I got the wink wink treatment and was then told that I should use my own judgement and how would ResMed actually know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Upon further research and since I expect I will connect my unit to a UPS as well as surge protection, I expect I will contact cyberpowersystems after the weekend and explore their gear. They seem to really know what they are doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
This sounds neat.  How long have you been using this Power Time Out Protection??

Has this proved to be reliable??

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.