Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI.
Question 
One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI.
So the last couple of months I've been wearing a ResMed oral-dental appliance, with my AirTouch mask. It has significantly helped with leaking and blockages, most of the time. Since it moves my jaw forward, my mask fit better. But now, for some reason, some nights I'm having LEAKS again. I'll go a couple nights AHI <1, then next night it is back up due to the leaks. I've run the mask fit test laying down, and it shows no leaks. 

I know the first thing people will reply with here, is to get my leaks under control. Well, the problem is, I'm not sure how. Before I go to sleep, I run the mask fit test, and that always shows it fitting good. Another concern I have, is if the dental appliance could be causing more blockage then helping with clearing up?

I've never had a sleep study yet with the dental appliance and thinking maybe I should have one. But it would be my luck that the night I go in for a sleep study, I wouldn't have any problems.

My main question is, what else could be causing my blockages? The dental appliance supposedly moves my tongue and jaw forward to open my airway. Most nights my machine sits at the lowest pressure and I hav eno blockage. Then I have a night like this, where I get major blockage!

[attachment=8314]

[attachment=8315]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI.
My question is why are you even using a dental appliance if your on a VAUTO? Ditch the appliance.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2018, 11:31 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: My question is why are you even using a dental appliance if your on a VAUTO? Ditch the appliance.

The machine just never helped me totally even when on vauto. I would get even more of these runs of OA/UA. The dental appliance has helped most days. But it is a mystery why some nights are worse again.

My ENT did a procedure to test for blockage and said it was my base of my tongue blocking airway. But the appliance should move jaw forward enough to clear my airway. But some nights apparently not.

I'm going back to my ENT doctor this week to discuss UPPP procedure and other things that may help me. I'm frustrated getting some good nights, then a set back another night and feel bad during the day. 

When I have these OA's, i wake up with the left side of my chest shaking and quivering. When it was really bad, I got AFIB from it. So I don't want it to get that bad again.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
Bless you.
I'm stuck in basic CPAP (thank you Ontario Canada). No I can't buy an auto machine.

I use a pad under my chin to keep it from dropping, which would cause leakage. I bought the pad at Mountain Equipment Coop here in Canada. It's meant to be used with a backpack child carrier to protect the child's face. I had a belt length strap left over from a camera bag. It keeps my pad under my jaw. Works so far. I haven't choked on the strap yet.
Other forums suggest using devices to hold teeth together. Boxer's mouth guards.
I've tried tape. Works well. However, I didn't use it many nights.

I have a bald spot. My chinstraps work for a while then they stretch, or skate right off my bald spot.

I used a cpap cap for a while. However, I felt really strange wearing it, and a mask, and a hose, and a machine. Who invented this stuff? Why haven't they learned about sleep quality? It's no wonder people stop wearing cpap gear. (25+years compliant; getting b-tchy.)
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
What's a ResMed Oral Dental device?
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2018, 01:39 PM)DaveL Wrote: What's a ResMed Oral Dental device?

https://www.resmed.com/epn/en/consumer/p...ental.html

Its now discontinued but there are other brands available. It's a mouthpiece that moves your lower jaw forward, so your tongue doesn't collapse your airway. 

Some dentists are now getting into sleep apnea and offering these devices.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
Why does the machine start to lower pressure when UA's occur during leaks? Why wouldn't it increase pressure?

Because in my case, the UA is probably an OA and lowering the pressure doesn't help in my case.

I think i need to find a new mask. The AirTouch is comfortable but if it leaks randomly like this, it is no good for me.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2018, 11:31 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: My question is why are you even using a dental appliance if your on a VAUTO? Ditch the appliance.

Walla, or anyone....

Do you have any suggestion on adjusting my pressures? Should I increase the Min and Max? What causes flow limitations and repeated OA's where my breathing slowly gets blocked?

Previous night I had, AHI 0.90 with NO leaks.  Last night I started having flow limitations and leaks, and ended up with AHI 8.07. This doesn't make sense. I fitted my mask the same way as the previous night. I ran the mask fit test before going to bed, and it said it was all good. 

See screenshots....
[attachment=8559]
[attachment=8560]
[attachment=8561]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 104 1 hour ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 126 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 143 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.