Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One week in but have cleaning questions.
RE: One week in but have cleaning questions.
Actually the bushes do fit the Climate line hoses. I have one and have used it twice. After reading several posts in the past I realized I was wasting my time. Now I just use a couple drops of dish soap and swish it back and forth than rinse it out. Dry it out and it's good to go.
Every 2 to 4 weeks I'll do it. After 3 months I replace it. The mask as needed. The humidifier I dry out each day. I see people worried about their own mask having germs but than go out to a fastfood place and eat food with no regard for who might of handled that food.
Go figure.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
A week-and-a-bit in, and I've figured I have things easy for now.
Because I use Marcalan for my nose using pillows, I wash the pillows in dishwashing liquid daily and air dry.
I haven't washed my P10 headgear or vent yet and I don't use the humidifier so that doesn't get washed, even though I keep demineralised water in there for passive humidity.
It's very dusty and salty and humid here though, so I will have to do a check of air intake etc periodically.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems it's 'horses for courses' with this cleaning thing.  For me it depends on my skin, allergies etc.  I wash the mask in handsoap I am not allergic to (allergic to dishwashing liquids & anything not PH balanced).  After all it's against the most sensitive skin.  Have only washed the hose twice in 3 years.  Washed the filters a few times & replaced once.  Wash the headgear with the mask, depends on how hot it's been & how oily/sweaty the weather has been.  I suppose an oily skin would necessitate the mask being washed more often.  
One thing I do especially that helps me sleep well, is wipe a tiny bit of lavender oil over the intake to the filter.  Lavender oil is great aid to sleep.  OH likes it on his pillowslip - just enough for a nice perfume.  Bigwink
To each his own, when the mask starts to leak, smell, is snotty, oily etc. - wash it !! 
There has to be those folk out there who cannot manage their equipment optimally & those surely do need assistance.  When one is old and/or ill, it's not easy to 'do' for oneself, so things get dirty, standards slip & we don't see the dirt as much, often because it's just all too hard.  It's really difficult for some to look after themselves, let alone health equipment.
Manufacturers recommend, I believe, optimal care to cover themselves (fair enough) & their hosehead customers.  Somewhere less than optimal to suit the individual is perfectly okay.
G'day from Oz -  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Bump: I have turned from a rare to never washer (do replace mask every 90 days) to more of an OCD level. The reason is that I don't want to believe that if I get a sinus infection, bronchitis or pneumonia that it was helped to come along by dirty CPAP equipment. I know what I'm saying is anecdotal to you and I am a sample of one but since doing this all infections that were twice a year have stopped. So, in exchange for this founded/unfounded fear I alleviate from this new routine I believe that, if nothing else, the mental boost I get from this routine helps. It is a modification from another post where I adjusted it to my situation:

CPAP (APAP) EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE
DAILY:
1. Wipe mask with a CPAP wipe – No soap is necessary.
2. Empty out humidifier chamber upon waking and fill with fresh distilled water before bed nightly.
3. Wipe CPAP with a slightly damp cloth – to remove dust

WEEKLY (or more often as needed):
1. Mask/nasal pillows, water chamber for humidifier and hose:
a. Remove the HEADGEAR from the mask
b. Remove water chamber from humidifier
c. Gently wash the mask, head gear, water chamber, and hose in warm water and mild dish soap. DO NOT use any cleaners containing conditioners or moisturizers-they will leave a residue.
d. Rinse thoroughly
e. Air dry all but cloth headgear
f. may dry cloth headgear in dryer on low setting with other items
3. Reattach to your mask/nasal pillows( a slight readjustment may be needed after repeated washings)
4. Run mask and hose through SoClean

MONTHLY:
1. Change disposable filter
2. May disinfect mask and humidification chamber in a solution of 1 part white distilled vinegar to 2 parts water for NO LONGER than 10 minutes or following illness as needed.

CAUTION: DO NOT CLEAN ANY PART OF THE SYSTEM WITH ALCOHOL, CLEANING SOLUTIONS CONTAINING ALCOHOL OR STRONG HOUSE HOLD CLEANERS!!!!!!

QUARTERLY: replace CPAP mask
SEMI-ANNUALLY: replace hose
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 505 8 hours ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 205 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.