Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One week in but have cleaning questions.
One week in but have cleaning questions.
I started about a week ago and I have been averaging 6-7 hours sleep with the mask on. I amazed how much better I feel everyday.  I have a question about the best way to clean my hose and mask and stuff because the more I research I get confused. Some people say do it every day some say do once a week. Also what do I clean with some say warm water other say use mild soap and yet others say use vinager wash. I'm more confused. Also I m going to ask about that cleaning machine what are thought I hear a lot of mix reviews on it. Thank you for your feed back.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: One week in but have cleaning questions.
When I had surgery the RT cleaned mine every day thoroughly. I clean it once a month myself. it all evens out.Wink Dish soap and water for me.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad things are going well for you. I was a lucky one who took to cpap from day one.

I settled on once a week with mild dish wash soap. I've never had a problem with mask or hose. I don't use a humidifier but it needs to be cleaned as well.
Only comment I'll make on a cleaning machine is I'll never bother with one.
At the bottom of this post there will be a list of some related post you can read.
Post Reply Post Reply
My CPAP provider asked me to use cotton and hand sanitizer to clean the mask every day. I did it for a week. Then I read the mask manual that advised against using alcohol based cleaning agents. Now I plan to use mild dish wash soap and warm water once a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
Weekly for me. But the fact that there are so many different opinions probably means that it doesn't really matter a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
It'd like diabetics and the lancet, some change it every time, 7 or more times a day. Some change it once a month. You will get into your own routine.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
as mentioned before, there are a lot of varying instructions out there. here's a copy of the handout I give out.

CPAP (BIPAP) EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE
DAILY:
1. Wipe mask with a damp cloth – No soap is necessary.
2. Rinse out humidifier chamber and fill with fresh distilled water nightly.
3. Wipe CPAP with a damp cloth – no detergents necessary

WEEKLY (or more often as needed):
1. Mask/nasal pillows, water chamber for humidifier and exhalation valve(when applicable):
a. Remove the HEADGEAR from the mask
b. Remove water chamber from humidifier
c. Gently wash the mask, water chamber, and exhalation valve in warm water and mild dish soap. DO NOT use any cleaners containing conditioners or moisturizers-they will leave a residue.
d. Rinse thoroughly
e. Air dry
2. Headgear and / or chin strap, tubing.
a. Hand wash with a standard laundry detergent or dish soap. DO NOT use bleach or any harsh chemicals.
b. Rinse thoroughly
c. Line dry DO NOT PUT IN DRYER
d. Reattach to your mask/nasal pillows( a slight readjustment may be need after repeated washings)
3. Filter
a. Non-Disposable Filter (if applicable) - rinse under running water
b. Disposable Filter (if applicable) – check for discoloration
***NOTE: DO NOT WASH DISPOSABLE FILTERS***

AS NEEDED:
1. Change disposable filter when discolored (normal use 1 – 3 months)
2. May disinfect mask in a solution of 1 part white distilled vinegar to 2 parts water for NO LONGER than 10 minutes following illness or as needed.

CAUTION: DO NOT CLEAN ANY PART OF THE SYSTEM WITH ALCOHOL, CLEANING SOLUTIONS CONTAINING ALCOHOL OR STRONG HOUSE HOLD CLEANERS!!!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
A bottle of Dawn or equivalent is more than enough.
You don't need that $300 machine.
Washing once a week and wiping out daily works fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find my p10 seal is better when clean, so at a minimum I wipe down mask with a wipe, but my general routine is to clean the mask, humidifier once a day in warm water with soap. Once a month I clean the heated hose.

Once every two months or so I wash everything in control III.

Everyone does it differently.
Post Reply Post Reply
About once a month to wash mask and hose. Probably overkill at that.
Filters occasionally when dirty (for some monthly, some longer)

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 7 223 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 383 Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  First post - First week of CPAP R1c4ard06 3 102 04-16-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: R1c4ard06
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 182 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,790 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 160 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Having fluctuating results 3rd week in. Data attached Jscott321 5 212 04-03-2024, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Jscott321

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.