Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One week in
One week in
It's been a week now, and I'm still fighting a few issues.

I got pretty bad aerophagia two nights, but I had hot wings both of those days. I haven't had it again, so I'm making a note to watch for the same issue next time I have hot wings.

My main issue is, I get to sleep quite nicely using the ramp feature. I sleep for about two hours, and then pull the mask off without my knowing it. I wake up later, and find that I have removed the mask, try to put it back on. I just can't get back to sleep after that. I find myself just sitting there with the mask on trying to get back to sleep to have 4 hours of compliance time in, and then getting up for the day.

Anyone know any good tricks for getting back to sleep?

I have started an exercise routine to try to help sleeping. I'm also trying to cut back on the tea at night time.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: One week in
Dgsr, some of us still find it difficult after a long period, I still do it after using CPAP for nearly 3 years, I find warm weather the worse and in Australia we are nearing the end of summer but it has been a hot one. I try my best to leave it on but don't beat myself up over it as we are not made to have masks of any sort covering our face. I find that if I can get at least 4 hours per night with it on I'm Ok, obviously it's not ideal but anything is better than nothing. Over time you will get more used to it and leave it on longer. Try to relax as much as possible, hope this helps a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply

It's been a week now, and I'm still fighting a few issues.

I got pretty bad aerophagia two nights, but I had hot wings both of those days. I haven't had it again, so I'm making a note to watch for the same issue next time I have hot wings.

Not sure that I can help you with the getting back to sleep issue , but might be able to help with staying a sleep part . some nights I would wake up with the mask off , my wife filled me in on what was happening . sometimes when I would roll over and the hose would pull on the mask enough to cause a leak , I would the take the mask off and roll back over till she would wake me . I figured out my hose was my problem . So I made a bracket that screwed to the wall above the bed on my side and hung over the bed 12" and 3' above the mattress then used a Velcro cable tie with a swivel to attach the hose and a small shock cord to attach the swivel to the bracket . I let the hose sag so there is almost no weight or pulling on the mask as I move through the night and never gets hung up on anything . Now I don't wake up till 5 min. before my alarm goes off . This works extremely well with nasal masks. Hot wings that's interesting ! I know mint chocolate ice cream brings on some of the most wild and vivid dreams for me .
Hope this helps , the hose part anyway .

jim Dreaming
Post Reply Post Reply
That's an interesting setup JWR, trial and error had me draping my hose over the back of the bed head to maximise available length and minimise entanglements although I still find I get a few loops around occasionally. I've wondered if a type of swiveling gantry arm arrangement would be of benefit with some shock cord similar to your idea. That way the hose is draped literally over head to maximise freedom and minimise tangles.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you haven't done so already, turn on the "high leak alarm". This way, within 5-9 seconds of pulling your mask off, the high leak alarm will go off - unless you are also turning off the machine in your sleep?

Time will help - it's all about creating a new pattern.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2014, 11:19 PM)Dgsr Wrote: Anyone know any good tricks for getting back to sleep?

I have started an exercise routine to try to help sleeping. I'm also trying to cut back on the tea at night time.

If you exercise to close to when you go to bed, you may have sleep issues. Tea, especially hot tea, caffeine free, shouldn't hurt to drink and may help you sleep.

stay away from sugar or sugar substances close to the time you go to bed.

if all else fails, you can try a natural OTC sleep aid such as somnapure.

hope this helps some.

EDIT: HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT TRYING A DIFFERENT MASK LIKE A NASAL MASK OR NASAL PILLOWS? FFM HAVE A REPUTATION OF LEAKING A LOT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might try some digestive enzymes the next time you have hotwings. You just take a couple of them about 30 minutes before you eat.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Apparently all I needed to do was complain about it. Last night I slept for about 2.5 hours (some with pretty nasty mask leaks according to sleepyhead) woke up, adjusted, went back to sleep for close to 2 more hours. 4.2 hours is a WIN compared to last week!

AHI was like .48, but I don't know if I can trust AHI when there was a big batch of mask leakage (80L/min for 50 minutes during the first 2.5 hours). This is the first time I've had issues with major leaks like that. Usually I'm under 10.

Thanks JWR - I have noticed that the hose moving against the side of the night stand makes a crazy noise. Based on your experience, I went ahead and ordered a hose cover, and a command wire hanger in an attempt to get the hose a little more manageable.

Thanks Me50 -Sugars shouldn't be an issue for me at the moment, I've been eating low carb since October. I usually drink iced tea with dinner, going to try cutting that out. I'll look into some somnapure.

Thanks Trish - I didn't think it was reflux, as I haven't had any issues with it. But the hot wings thing makes me wonder if maybe it's an issue that I just wasn't feeling yet. I will have to look into enzymes.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Post Reply Post Reply

If you need a Velcro swivel cable tie , I have a few left . they are for cable management in computer sever racks . just PM me .
Post Reply Post Reply
I just use a tiny hook in the wall above and behind the headboard and a shoelace to hold the hose up and out of the way. Works great.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 505 8 hours ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 205 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 226 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 683 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  My Mother did an In-Lab sleep study last week. Phaleronic 4 503 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First week CPAP. Had such high hopes...advice tuumi2000 2 564 09-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: tuumi2000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.