Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ontario: Provides 1 machine/5 years and no accessories?
Ontario: Provides 1 machine/5 years and no accessories?
Anyone have a handle on those of us who have no health insurance in Ontario, Canada, asides from OHIP (government) coverage?

Spoke to ADP today and they tell me they will provide one APAP setup on Rx and that is it for FIVE YEARS. No filters, masks, hoses, nothing! Ditto sleep studies under OHIP?

And as a dualie (I am also a US Citizen) I have never had income generated in the USA and gather I am not eligible for ANY stateside benefits.

Ah well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ontario: Provides 1 machine/5 years and no accessories?
US Medicare is dependent on the deductions from your paycheck. So if you've never worked in the US (and paid that deduction), you are not eligible. You would not be eligible for disability income either (SSDI). Medicaid is state funds for those with very low income. You're probably not eligible for that, either, as you'd have to establish residency in a US state.

I know nothing about Canadian health care so I can't help with that avenue. There are a lot of online dealers who sell for very low prices. The suppliers list has a Canadian supplier listed. #20.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

I poked around a little via Google and couldn't find much. Couldn't find any kind of schedule like there are for Medicare.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there...I am from Ontario as well, and just purchased my machine today. My insurance coverage booklet from work says I have extra coverage there, but my predetermination was sent back as I am not eligable. I will need to contact my union rep to sort out whether or not I should be covered for the rest. So, at this point I bought mine as though I had no extra insurance coverage. Here is what I got and what I had to pay after Ontario paid their share......

The machine I purchased is a Resmed S9 Elite, and I purchased only what I had to have at this point...no extras.

Mask...(Mirage FX Nasal..they gave me 2 of these).........$275.00
Resmed S8 Elite CPAP machine, humififier included.........$1040.00

Sobtotal................................................................$1315.00
Tax.......................................................................$0.00
Patient pays............................................................$535.00

Also included all I needed...ie...machine, humidifier, mask, hose, nasal pillows, and case. Also OHIP paid for my sleep study, and the sleep study for titration. My nasal pillows are good for 6 to 12 months and cost about $40.00 each to replace. Not sure how much a new filter is...I need to buy a new one every 6 months. I did not buy extended warranty nor maintenance coverage. Any Drs appointments are covered by OHIP...and billed directly, as is the CPAP...ie...I did not need to pay first and then submit to receive their share. Hope this info helps. Also if I want to purchase a different mask, ie nasal it runs about $300.00. Also, I thought OHIP covered a new machine every 3 or 4 years, rather then every 5, but I might just be mistaken on that....I don't have the best memory..lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Spare a thought for us here down under we have to pay for everything out pocket and no subsidy from government and insurance doesn't cover masks or supplies just one off rebate approx $500 for the machine which is cheaper to buy 0n-line and forfeit the rebate.

I've this link from "Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care" bookmark might be helpful for someone
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/publ.../cpap.html
Post Reply Post Reply
My understanding is that the Assisted Devices Program (ADP) of OHIP will pay for one machine (limited in value) which will be a CPAP machine unless the doctor really believes that you need an Autoset (must be written specifically in prescription) a standard hose and a mask. The rest is up to you. Replacement hoses and masks are better off purchased from the US on-line. I have used supplier number one many times, and have been happy. You will save almost 50% on most things. The Ontario prices are horrible, and the only reason that I buy my stuff here is because of my insurance company, even though I could save the tax payers a ton of money.

ADP will no longer automatically replace your CPAP machine after 5 years unless it's defective. That was a change implemented last November.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 680 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 543 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 293 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  5 years and never looked at the stats, need advice StephenB 5 347 02-08-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.