Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Open mouth and fullmask issues....
RE: Open mouth and fullmask issues....
(08-07-2015, 02:43 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Keep trying out new masks till you find one that doesn't leak so much and you can wear it all night.

Hang in there!

Thanks Shastzi for your kind encouragement ...

I am still struggling with the FF mask & open mouth issues ! I really do not know why I am still woken up due to the air being pumped into my mouth . I feel the air ballooning up my cheeks after a few hours and wake up , even though my machine is an APAP with auto range set at 5 - 20 cm H2O !

In the 2 previous nights, I even tried mouth taping . The AHI decreased 50% but I still woke up due to air pressure in my mouth ( i.e. my mouth filled with air ) . I had to remove the tape to let the air out , retaped, re-put the mask on and went back to sleep !

The air may come from nose breathing ? I really do not know . I just wonder if anyone tapes his mouth and has similar experience ?

Please comment . Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
You probably got a mask that *feels comfortable* when things are static.
When you take things to bed...stuff happens. Everything is dynamic!
If you can try out more full face masks (I went through 8) till I found any with the right *contour*
on the sealing surface to stay sealed all night.
(that includes washing the seal & face and wiping it down with alcohol to get it tacky)

I was still breaking out in leaks now and then so now I am testing a new sealing compound.

Avery Permanent Glue Sticks! (no toxic/washable/acid free)
(Elmers and UHU also make them too)
I found out that professional movie/theatre make up artists use these to stick
latex prosthetics on peoples faces with these.

they seem pretty safe since kids can even eat them without ill effects.
(Bleah!)

So far I have been sleeping all night and only small leaks if any.

Yes you can still get your mask off if you need to. It's just a good bit stickier,
Cleans up with a damp cloth or alcohol.

If your mask already has a fairly decent seal but just needs a little help, this may be it.
Try some and see if your skin can tolerate it ok.
Worse that can happen is a bit of a rash if anything.

Yah, I know sounds crazy.
Loco

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='Shastzi' pid='126009' dateline='1439322628']

Thank you for sharing your precious experience with the full mask . In actual fact , the air leakage in my case is below 24 liters per minute ( i.e. less than 11 liters/min.) .

My problem is the air pumped into my mouth , waking me up after a few hours !
Post Reply Post Reply
Hang in there and keep up the good fight!

Wink

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night, I taped my mouth again . This time , I made two overlapped holes ( 1/4 in. diameter each ) , with a paper punch right at the center of the tape . When I taped my mouth, these holes were placed at the middle of the closed lips . In this way, I could avoid being choked if my nose was blocked for any reason during the night .

The AHI was only 5 . ( compared to 19.3 without mouth-taping the night before ! ) and I woke up only once ( compared to 3 or 4 times without mouth taping ! ) .

So far so good .... I 'll keep trying this mouth taping to see if it really works in the long run .

[Image: 2AubMmW.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
If cheek puffing is a problem for you, as much as i love the simplus, try a respironics fitlife totsl face mask.
Pressure is even all over your cheeks and face so there is no cheek puffing or pressure sensation..
No reg ffm will stop cheek puffing for anyone it bothers.
Post Reply Post Reply

I just bought another mask . It's the ResMed Mirage FX Nasal mask . Last night, I tried it on for the first time and the AHI plummeted to 2.5 from about 20 with the FFM . I woke up only once after 4 hours of sleeping !

With the nasal mask on , the air escaped from my mouth each time my lips opened (i.e. my mouth ballooned up then the air flowed out in a rush !). Is this normal ? Please comment .

Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like you are mouth leaking a lot. What is your leak rate?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2015, 12:44 PM)PaytonA Wrote: It looks like you are mouth leaking a lot. What is your leak rate?

I checked the leakage rate ..It's less than 10 liters/min ! But I am sure the air comes from inside my mouth ( i.e. the air is expelled from inside out ! ) . Where does this air come from ? How would you explain this air flow ?

BTW, my AHI was 2.6 last night ! very good trend , indeed , with using the the nasal mask !
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 364 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 52 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 186 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.