Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hi, newbie here.
Hi, newbie here.
Hi,
I've suspected for a while I might have mild apnea just through waking up snorting when lying on my back and the fatigue I get. I also snore really badly. I'm not overweight in fact I'm thin.
I bought a CMS50D+ just to see if it showed anything up. The first night I've posted below as I'm unsure of what it is saying. My heart rate is all over the place when I sleep as well.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hi, newbie here.
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

Not sure what is going on with your graph but there is definitely something on in the 4 - 4:30am timeframe.

Keep in mind we are not doctors here nor do we provide medical advice. In addition, I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Laugh-a-lot

If that were my chart, I would definitely check with a medical professional. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Eclipse,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Eclipse.
Welcome

Looks like something bad happening @ 4:23am there.
A really big desaturation event accompanied by pulse rate going up. quite dramatic.
That would be your body going into the "wake up fool! You forgot to breathe again!!"
Possible signature of some kind of really-not-good apnea event.
Not a Dr. here but looks like danger signs to me.
I was getting those too.
Get checked out by pulmonary doc or at least PCP and make best possible speed.

Good luck!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
You have zoomed into that one event so that its details are quite clear. As Shastzi has indicated, this is pretty clearly an apnea event. You stop breathing (one assumes), your blood oxygen drops, your heart rate increases as a result, and then you obviously start breathing again and the levels return to normal.

Your blood oxygen level appears to be quite good, except during that event. Your sleeping heart rate seems to be a reasonably consistent ~70-75. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "all over the place".

If this is the only event in your entire evening of sleep, you have an AHI of less than 5 (actually less than 1), which is in the normal range. On the other hand, if you are having these constantly through your sleep period, you should figure out a rough hourly average for the events. A value of 5-15 per hour is classified as "mild", a value of 15-30 is classified as "moderate", and a value of 30+ events per hour is classified as "severe". If it's moderate and especially if it's severe, get thee to a sleep doctor immediately.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could it be an arrhythmia or a palpitation? Interesting that the change in heart rate seems to lead the dip in oxygen, not the other way around. That could be a sensor / measurement issue, too.

Is it common in apnea events that oxygen levels can dip and recover by over 15 percentage points in just a matter of seconds?

Echo what others said; see a doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
That depends on where you place the start of the change in heart rate. That initial ramp-up also fits within the range of fluctuations seen elsewhere. To my mind, the telling point is that the recovery in SpO2 clearly leads the recovery of heart rate. It also doesn't look like a sensor glitch, since the SpO2 and heart rate readings both react, and they both react with a phase difference (time lag). A sensor glitch would have both readings reacting at exactly the same time.

I do agree that the SpO2 drop was surprisingly instantaneous. However, if you zoom into the screen shot, you will see that both graphs in the short period before the drop appear in a different colour. I wonder if there was a sensor glitch, possibly an arrhythmia, at the start of the event which put the graphs into "repeat last reading" mode.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.