Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Opinions on mask wipes
Opinions on mask wipes
Do y'all use mask wipes? Official mask wipes? Baby diaper wipes?

I can see how wipes would be useful to me—bear in mind I live in an old hotel, and keeping stuff clean is going to be a challenge—but is there a benefit from the ones that are "purpose-built" for CPAP?

Slightly different question.....do I need a funnel for getting water into the humidifier, or is it like a fish tank with a lid? If yes on the funnel, how big? Funnel alternatives?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Opinions on mask wipes
I just use dish soap in the bathroom sink. The humidifiers don't require a funnel.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2017, 12:05 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I just use dish soap in the bathroom sink. The humidifiers don't require a funnel.

The condition of the bathroom sink is the problem.... There's no vanity, either.  Just to give you a clue, the bathroom is so awkwardly arranged, you have to sit sideways on the toilet.

Regarding CPAP (and just about everything), I am quite challenged logistically owing to my living arrangements.

Plus, I have hotel housekeeping (not the big benefit you might think), which means everything has to get tied down or packed away so it doesn't get accidentally broken or fiddled with.

My creativity is having to go full bore. I might have to move just to accommodate CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use wipes.. "cleanzex". I did some research and it had good reviews and I have since reordered. I think you should wipe your mask or wash it daily.. washing it daily is a lot of work, so wiping seems more sensible. People use baby wipes but I think it comes down to smell for me. I like the smell of the cleanzex.. i dont really like the baby wipe smell
Post Reply Post Reply
I copied this from another thread.  Use Pampers Natural Clean baby wipes.  They have no alcohol and no aloe.  I picked up a pack at the ShopRite the other day.  They were on sale for $1.49 for 64 wipes.  Big difference from paying $10.00 + for cpap wipes.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried CPAP specific wipes because I am super lazy. I got the citrus scent (the only choice at the time) and could not tolerate the smell. I also don't think it did much.

Wash your stuff when you take a shower, hang it up to dry.

Can you get housekeeping to come like once a week or something? That way you don't have to tie everything down. And your gear can hang to air dry.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use Seventh Generation dish soap (no smell) and Seventh Generation Free & Clear Wipes (also no smell). The wipes do have some aloe though. Is that bad?

I like the stainless steel mixing bowl when washing.

I have a different ResMed than you'll be getting, but just pour directly from the distilled water jug. Our tap water is too hard for me to consider using it in the humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used mask wipes, and as unscented, wet-cloths they do fine. You would hate me to tell you how infrequently I actually properly clean the mask and cushions. Keeping them free of facial oils and reasonably clean is probably fine. To clean the pillows, all you need is some liquid soap and running water. I have to assume you have at least that. Hold in your hands, add soap, rub and rinse. You don't need a pool of water.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2017, 02:15 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I've tried CPAP specific wipes because I am super lazy. I got the citrus scent (the only choice at the time) and could not tolerate the smell. I also don't think it did much.

Wash your stuff when you take a shower, hang it up to dry.

Can you get housekeeping to come like once a week or something? That way you don't have to tie everything down. And your gear can hang to air dry.

Housekeeping only comes once a week, but it's always a big hassle. For one thing, I have to get out of bed much earlier than usual....
Post Reply Post Reply
I just spent an hour in the grocery store, most of it in the baby wipes section. The junk people put on baby's bottoms!

I looked at the ingredients of every single wipes package that read "unscented". All except one had aloe. The one exception (the Pampers style listed above) has hydrogenated castor oil.

This means they likely all have soothing and/or oily ingredients. Makes sense if we're trying to prevent baby's bottom from chafing. However, it might not be great for longevity of mask materials. It also might make the mask too slick, or paradoxically abrasive. Silicon does not like oil.

On some lists of ingredients, I saw lanolin. This is basically sheep fat. It's an oil.

Baby wipes have a knack for smelling like clean babies even when they're supposed to be unscented. I think maybe I'd prefer citrus over baby bottom flavor....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  F&P SleepStyle Opinions zzz1 0 180 02-01-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: zzz1
  2 weeks on new ResMes ASV, need some opinions/ advice RickEiben 32 2,768 08-17-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: RickEiben
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  sfr79's Treatment Thread / Analysis, Opinions, Suggestions Welcomed sfr79 9 1,212 01-04-2023, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [Symptoms] ian93 story - Looking for opinions ian93 3 571 11-08-2022, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Opinions wanted - Stop or Continue PAP after wake up B1Sailor 14 1,288 10-09-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.